INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Another Brother with a fight on his hands  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Another Brother with a fight on his hands
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
I don't know if any of you know Tom Massarro from Centre County, PA or not. I think he lurked hereabout on Gang. He had a small archery shop near PA Furnace or Warriors Mark, I believe and had a small outfitting biz, too.

I just got word that Tom is battling Leukemia. I'm sure he'd appreciate everyone's prayers for strength, healing and perseverance.

I understand he's starting the 2nd go around of treatments!

Lord in your mercy...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Brother with a fight on his hands
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Prayers sent for Tom.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
prayers from Louisiana way ...mark chambers
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Prayers for healing
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Nosight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Prayers sent....
Remember...aim small miss small...

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
prayers sent

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Prayers sent from GA
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks, folks. I've sent him an email, but the update I got through his work office indicated he was heading back Tuesday for 2nd round of chemo... so I think I missed him. He was in for 3 weeks. If his office mgr makes good on her promise, I'll get updates forwd from his wife to the office...we'll see. I know he appreciates prayers even though he doesn't know about them at this time..after all, prayers aren't for the person, it's us going to Christ to intereceed.

Thank you and blessing for all named in this forum and those not posted but who need prayers.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Prayers sent for healing--I KNOW they WORK!--1Longbow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
No new updates have come forth. I suspect he's battlin away at Geisinger Medical up NE PA with his 2nd round of Chemo...

I know the prayers are appreciated!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
Tom is a good guy. He was the first fella I made a purchase off of when I discovered this site. He had a Widow,I had cash.We met in Centre Co. I left with a Widow, Tom left with cash.
  Wow,you just never know do you.I find myself scratching my head a lot lately.
  God,I pray that you be with this bowhunter buddy of ours.Get him thru this tough time, and use us however you need to, to help him. Toughest thing to do God is to not worry ourselves silly about it.We have to remember it is all in your plan.Thank you for being here for us when things like this happen.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Tom, mark chambers here , Im praying for ya buddy! Peace, mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
praying that God will give him strength to get through this battle,Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
This just came in from his secretary. Looks like ole Tom is doing ok...

Gary and Tanna,

After learning that the first round of chemo hadn’t put Tom in full remission, we were terribly disheartened.  When we got the news this week that the second round of induction chemotherapy had put him there, I was jumping for joy and we both breathed a huge sigh of relief.  The options facing Tom if this second round had not worked were very worrisome.  

We’re not out of the woods yet, but this is an important first step and puts us on the “standard track” for beating this thing.  Tom will have three rounds of consolidation chemotherapy (one drug at the same high dose as last time instead of two)  to  clean up rogue cells.  He goes to Danville next week for 5 days for the first round.  We are banking on the fact that he will be able to recover at home after each, since these treatments are less intense than the first two and Tom’s response to his previous treatment (where 90 % of patients end up with infections but he didn’t) was so remarkable.  The break the doctors have given him between his last induction therapy and the upcoming consolidation therapies has been much needed and has helped him regain his strength.  Tom is feeling better now than he has in months and is beginning to look like his old self (or  like his old self minus hair and 20 pounds).  

We are incredibly hopeful and ready to move on to this next phase.

Ann

This is great news for Tom and his family!

Prayers that things continue well for him in his battle with cancer.

Tom, Keep the Son in your eyes!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Prayers continue from Georgia.

In HIS service
Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Praise God and prayers continue
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Prayers sent
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Looks like a few wrinkles developed for ole Tom Massaro.

He could use some more prayers according to this update from his wife:

Tom returned from Danville last Saturday after 6 days of chemotherapy.  This time, they gave him one drug (cytarabine) at a high dose but cut out the second drug (daunorubicin) that reeks havoc on his heart.    This is the first of 3 consolidation therapies that he'll receive.  Each therapy cycle from start to finish, including recovery and before he begins the next treatment, should be approximately 4 weeks.  Tom felt pretty good when he first came home, but has been feeling very tired since yesterday.  I'm assuming his blood counts are dropping fast as expected.   He goes back to Danville tomorrow for a  transfusion to give his blood a much needed boost.  

We have learned a few other things, some good and some not as good.  The cytogenetics results from Tom's bone marrow biopsy show that Tom's leukemia has a chromosomal abnormality that works in his favor-i.e. more favorable prognosis and potentially greater response to chemotherapy.  That is good news.  The caveat is that this same type of leukemia can migrate to the central nervous system, unlike most other types of AML which stay put in the bone marrow and bloodstream.  As a result,  in addition to 3 consolidation treatments,  Tom will need to receive 5 treatments of intrathecal (in the spine) chemotherapy through injection.  I'm certain this treatment can't be pleasant, but we're trying to stay focused on the positive part of this news.  The plan the doctor has laid out is for Tom is to recover from his first consolidation treatment by early July, get intrathecal treatments once (or twice for some weeks) in July/early August and then finish up with the next two consolidation treatments in August and September.  

It's a long long treatment process but the end is, hopefully, in sight  Overall, Tom's spirits continue to be good.  Understandably, though, he has his ups and downs.  The yo yo effect of  beginning to feel good, being brought down by the next chemo treatment, recovering and beginning to feel good only to face another treatment takes its toll.  Still, I continue to be amazed at Tom's strength, his resolve and his positive attitude.  We continue to find something to laugh and smile about each day and remain full of hope.  

Ann

Tom, keep the Son in your eyes!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 06:18:00 AM »
Prayers and positive thoughts/vibrations sent from south Georgia...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline eaglefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
Prayers from virginia.God bless.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©