3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tag soup  (Read 494 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Tag soup
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Well the season is over here in New York. I had one shot opportunity and passed on the little guy.
I learned a lot, remembered forgotten stuff, and had a blast.
My first trad only bow season didnt produce, but thats not why we really go out there anyway is it?
I was amazed at the excitement level that trad gear brought back to my hunts. I loved watching the does and yearlings walk by and "count coupe". Instead of trying to remember where I put what and how I could get it out in time, I let the woods absorb me, and watched and listened, confident that if and when the time came, I could perform.
I even ended the season with a good note....by missing a big old buck at 20 yards with a smokepole. All I could do was smile, because I KNOW if I had my longbow(which I almost brought instead) I would have been dragging that deer out instead of watching him walk away unscathed.
The confidence I have in my ability after one short year is mind boggling.
Now its off to chase bunnies and grouse, maybe even a pheasant or two....knowing that if and when the shot presents within 20 yards, I will make meat.
This stuff is awesome.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tag soup
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
MM, MM, Good!!!!!!

It is an aquired taste!!  :bigsmyl:  

Nice thoughts, and good luck with bunnies and such!!

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Good luck with smallgame.Tag soup aint that bad Ill bet if you look at it the way you do.See you at Shawns.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Did you have fun? Hunting hard has it rewards and at that doesn't always mean bringing home the venison. Sounds like you had a great season hunting with Shawn, learned alot and will keep learning next year. See ya'll at the Bunny Hunt....Go Team Pink!!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
I did have a great season, and time not spent in the woods was spent with my son. I look forward to showing him the way...
I didnt get to hunt with Shawn yet Joe....and I couldnt make it up to Mike's at all either. Next year I hope to remedy both of those hiccups.
I am already dwelling on the bunny hunt...
In the mean time, who else wants to go small gaming?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
I Took Off the Wire before I Cooked my Turkey Tag. It almost tasted like Turkey, if You use Yer Imagination!!
 Thank You For Sharing Your Terrific Season!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
I have had tag soup more than i want to say, every time this happens you learn a little faster and remember a little longer. It can be a good thing as far as learning goes, small game is more fun any how I'm going bunny hunt in this weekend   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »

Of course! Shoulda made a stew outta my tags instead. Sure would have gone down easier...   :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline nockhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Me too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,five tags and no deer.

Mike
" Aim high and let em fly "   my son Nick

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Great pic!  :biglaugh:  
I am watching it snow....anyone keeping tabs on Chuck??
                         -Jamie

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Chuck is a loose cannon at this point.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Knowing Chuck, he prolly already dancing up the storm that's supposed to be coming in...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Tag soup for me also. I only get to hunt one week out of are six week season.My brother and i always hunt the last week. I saw 14 bucks 3 legal ones. Had  a 125 to 130 class at about 25yds had to stop him he was chasing does. Just out of my comfort zone. Had a nice 7 point just a step out of my shooting lane grunted him in i think he got nervous when he did not see any deer. Also a small 7 point but no shot to be had. Saw more bucks than does i save my doe tag for late season so theres still hope. TD.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Got a pile of them, saving for a good recipe!

:rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:    :rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Oh, and Jamie, I am always, ALWAYS willing to drop everything and go small game hunting...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
I usually mix in a little track also - for track 'n tag soup, and it looks like that's all I'm gonna be eating too. Still got through 1 Jan. though. Now, were is that crossed fingers smiley?

:pray:    Maybe this will help but I hate to bother "Him" when "He" must be so very busy with way more important matters these days.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Are the little tracks more tender than the big ones, and what kind of broth do you use, chicken or chicken?
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
Let me know Chris...sooner the better as my schedule is about to get much more hectic.
I never thought of adding tracks....I will have to check that option out.
As for kicking me when Im down, guess who I saw walking up the middle of the road on my way home from the store....yep that big old buck is using my yard as a sactuary.  :rolleyes:
                         -Jamie

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Ooooo - that hurts. It's like when I used to go back to the vehicle in Maine after hunting in a snowfall and finding fresh tracks around the durn car.

I always tend to think the little tracks seem more tender-er-er, Tim - and anything that "tastes just like chicken" makes servicable broth for track soup - Tag soup can stand a little more spice -  so you can mix 'n match  :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Heck, I've got enough unfilled turkey tags (resident and NR) to make the lunch buffet at Pizza Hut jealous. I'd hate to think how expensive my first bird will end up being, but I'm sure my first car didn't cost as much.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©