3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moving targets...ideas ?  (Read 2745 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Moving targets...ideas ?
« on: January 30, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
I would like to practice shooting at moving targets, not aerials at this time, but moving targets on or near the ground.  Any good suggestions HOW I can do this.  Some rules...I gotta keep it safe..taping targets to the neighborhood kids probably won't work...something that is relatively inexpensive to make.....something I can do alone or with someone else.

Any ideas ?
ChuckC

Offline Baim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving targets...ideas ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Just a thought..tie a target to a rope and swing it from a tree..would have to continuously go push the rope..but in my head this looks pretty do-able...definately inexpensive.
"You have to eat what you kill... so you better think real hard before you point that thing".
-my brother to my 6 yr old daughter

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
I take my Rinehart 9" Ball and hang it from a rope and shoot at it....
Also the Beavers are usualy Moving also...Lots of fun....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Mike, Baim... I have seen these balls, I do something like that on a tiny scale in my basement.  I will try one.  The only thing I don't like is constantly running up to kick it to move.  I am trying to think of some way to rig up a target on a large merry go round kinda thingi, like we used to have in some parks.  Hmmm I bet it would be popular at 3d shoots if we could come up with something like that.
ChuckC

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
We have used old garage door openers to make moving targets. You get about 10 feet of horizontal travel out of it, and then it goes back in reverse. I have also seen one built out an old bike frame. The target was mounted on the pedals, and was driven by an electric motor. It was placed behind brush or a fence, so it rose up and offered a shot for a couple seconds and dipped down again. If you have access to scrap parts and like to tinker you can build either one for under $100.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Absolutely the most archery fun I have is shooting those 8" rubber balls for kids from wally world.  I use the black rubber blunts  (not pointed sanders blunts).  They do not harm the ball at all.  Kick it up a hill and shoot as it rolls down or shoot it as it goes away from you.  With a slight hill you can have tons of fun.  When you get to where you shoot it at about 15 yards and it goes rolling and you hit it again before it stops from 30 to 40 yards you will be screamin "yeah baby thats it!"   Then you know you are ready for those movin shots.  This is how I do most of my practice.  Get the blunts and internal weights (if you use them) correct so they fly the same as your hunting arrows.  Absolute blast.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
We ran some 1/8" cable from a post in the ground up to a tree about 10' off the ground. Bought an old Delta Ram target and ran a couple of pieces of number 9 wire through it and mounted some old pulleys on the wire and the pulleys on the cable. Hooked a rope to the back of the target to pull it back up. We did have to experiment with attching some weight to the rope to control the speed of the target. Kinda hard to explain, but it works. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Mike, I have seen these sort of targets.  They are pretty neat but kinda labor intensive during the shoot.  I am trying to do it so I can shoot quite a few times without having to cock it, kick it, or reset it.  I am like a littel kid and get bored if I have to work too much at having fun.  Now, maybe...hmmm I have a shallow pond on some preperty I can access, I wonder if I can mount a flag on a big carp and let it go in there ?  Then shoot at the flag instead of the fish so I can shoot more often ?????  Oh no, here comes PETA....
ChuckC

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Fill a milk jug with expandable foam.  Get a fishing pole and reel, and tie it on.  Lay the jug out and get someone to reel it in and you will get several shots as it goes by.  You can vary the speed from a deers slow walk to a slow trot.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Get a big old cane pole, (or dune buggy flag) "bait it" with a tennis ball or chunks of a swim noodle and hang it in front of your backstop. Hit it once to get it going and then shoot away

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
Get some old tires and put cardboard in the hole. Have a buddy roll them down a hill and you shoot at them.

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Buy a goat and turn him loose
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
I can see some fun times this summer ....Gobbler..  where can I get a goat ?

How bout if I put that flag on a harness above the goat and shoot, or better yet, have the goat pulling a target ?  If the goat thinks the target is after it, maybe it will really run ?
Here comes PETA again....
ChuckC

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
At a few of the archery shoots I attend they have moving targets. Most have pulleys attached and run down a small cable. On one wolf target it was spring loaded with a big bungee cord and took off like a rocket when released. Another had a buck about 5' behind a doe. Both were released together and this was a 2 shot target. You had to be quick.
   At home I made an upsidedown "U" shaped frame with a thin string hanging from the center and a small magnolia seed pod that would swing when hit. That made it interesting for the second shot.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Last Arrow the milk jug & expandable foam is a great idea thanks. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
I like the goat idea
PETA   "People Eating Tasty Animal" right
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Wish I still had a pic...but a customer gave me an old toyota camry in driveable shape.  Took a couple pieces of angle and welded them to the rocker.  On top of these brackets I stacked several pieces of 4x8 homasote in front of a piece of 4x8 OSB board...strapped it to the roof so it wouldn't tip....amply covered all side windows and doors.  Mounted a 3d foam deer in the middle of it all.

Was the most fun we've ever had....shooting at a deer doing 70mph through the cut cornfield.  My kids were little at the time, but even they had fun driving and shooting.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
ken, Now thats what im talkin bout right there!!!

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Rolling target:

When I have shot out my 3D deer target (I get one every other year for my birthday{dad's present}), I hand saw the rest of the target into sections (like CAT scan slices) of a couple inches thick. Then lay on an appropriate size bucket to draw a round circle with magic marker. Take a sheet-rock saw and round out the shape to a circle. Spray paint on a dot in the middle and you have a rolling target. If you have a hill you can roll your target up the hill, prepare to shoot for when it comes down.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Get a dead soccerballKick it and shoot or have someone do it from the side.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©