INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Garrett's Heart Procedure  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
Garrett's Heart Procedure
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I think most of ya'll are aware of my son's heart issues.  If not, you can read all about it here:  
 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/garrettjones

If ya'll think of it tomorrow morning please say a prayer, Garrett will be going under for a heart catheter at about 10am central time.  They will be mapping out all his heart related anatomy in preparation for his next bypass surgery.  

Thank you!
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Garrett's Heart Procedure
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Praying for God's continued blessings for Garrett and family
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
My family and I will be praying and thinking of Garrett and your family. They say the heart caths are a simple procedure, like you say..just mapping for his glenn procedure but all of the procedures are nerve racking and need guidence from above..God Bless...Hang Tough.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
Prayers sent
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Praying for Garrett!
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Chip,

May "The Great One" hold him in his arms and give all knowledge to the doctors doing the proceedure.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Prayer sent for Garrett. Praying for full recovery and many years of ya'll shooting bows together.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Just got home.  Everything went well today!  Cardiologist and surgeon just have to have a meeting to discuss Garrett's case, then we can schedule the surgery.

Thanks for all your prayers and support!  And Thank You, Lord!

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
What a long day!  We finally got home around 7pm.  Garrett fell asleep on the way home and Suzie took him right to bed.

He was so funny!  They gave him something to relax him before they took him off for the procedure.  I think it was Verset (spelling?).  Anyway it made him pretty loopy and unsteady!  We were concerned about him crying when they took him off, but didn't happen.  That medication really worked!  The best way to describe it was he acted like he was really drunk. He said "Bye Mommy" and "Bye Daddy" with a big smile on his face as they rolled him off.

The cardiologist said all the anatomy looked good, pressures in the chambers were where they should be, etc.  He will meet with the surgeon soon (maybe Friday) to discuss Garrett, then we will schedule his surgery.

They rolled Garrett out of the recovery area up to a room where we could sit with him until he was released.  He was a little crabby!  He didn't like all the bandages, tubes, and wires.  He kept saying "get them off!"  He hadn't had anything to eat or drink all day.  He quickly sucked down 2 or 3 glasses of apple juice, a cup of cherry slush, some ice cream, and some french fries.  Later his stomach was hurting....hmmm, I wonder why?

After a long day we made it to our car...and we had a flat!  The AC sure felt good after changing that flat.  As I sit here thinking about it, I sure am thankful to our Lord that the flat was the worst thing that happened to us yesterday!

Once again, thanks for all the prayers and support!  And Thank You, Lord!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Chip, prayers for you and yours.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Been off chasin hogs at Rays...and exhausted after the return drive...so missed this but will offer up praises for God's continued blessing on Garrett.

Thank you, Lord!!!

Prayers for the surgery to go well and God to be in total control, while giving you all peace that passes all understanding.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Lord, we come humbly for your blessing with one of our own, a baby boy Garrett as he goes for heart treatments. Please touch this family and young son with your healing authority which is guaranteed through your Holy Word in our Christian Bible. We ask complete miraculous restoration for Baby Garrett. And so shall the sick be healed as in your presence Jesus. Amen
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Well, the Cardiologist and Surgeon finally met today to review Garrett's case and determine time frame for the surgery.

While we are dreading the surgery, we were also ready to get it over with.  Unfortunately, the surgeon wants to wait until the Spring.

Why?  First, they have raised the minimum size to 35 to 40 kilos.  This is a national guideline they use because they have found a higher rate of success if the kids are atleast that big.

Second, Garrett needs some work on his tricuspid valve.  This is the valve between his right ventricle and atrium.  It keeps the blood flowing one direction.  All along he has had some leakage in this valve.  At the last echo it had gone from mild to moderate.  The surgeon is planning on putting some type of ring around the valve to help it and the bigger Garrett is the bigger the ring he can put in.

Of course, we are concerned about waiting because up until today everyone had told us he is definitely ready for the next surgery.  We know of another child who passed away because they possibly waited to long to do the surgery.  We know the surgeon would not put off the surgery if he thought it would jeopardize Garrett, but I do wonder if he is weighing the risk of waiting versus being able to put a larger ring on that valve.

Please continue to pray for Garrett!  That the Lord will keep him healthy and strong!

Thanks!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Prayers continue, my friend!  God took great care of Garrett up till now... as Katie put it best!  :)

Prayers continue. Keep the peace and keep the Son in your eyes!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 05:08:00 AM »
So I guess we need to pray that Garrett will have a growth spert. Lord please keep Garrett strong as well as the family. I would continue to ask you to provide all their needs and carry them thru all of the things they are facing. I continue to look for that totally perfect plan from a totally perfect God for a totally undeserving human race as we watch Garrett and his travel. God thank you for this family as they allow us to share in this time of Garretts life. Lord we want to see your hand as it continues to work in the family in every area. In is in your Holy name we ask this......Amen
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
Dear God please help the children as they can't help themselves.  Allow Garrett's family to be strong and to persevere in Garrett"s quest for better health.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Man! Time sure flies!  I haven't been on here much the last couple years...job, family, kids activities, etc have taken their toll on my time.  And this is the first place I visited! But now that I am back, I hope to find the time to be on here more.  

Cant believe it has been six years since Garrett had this Heart catheter and then subsequent heart surgery!  It was his third open heart surgery at just 3 years old and all of your prayers really lifted us up!  Thank you again!

Garrett is now 8 years old, will be 9 in August.  He still only has half a heart, but you wouldn't know it being around him!  In fact, he drives us crazy cuz he cant sit still, just like any typical 3rd grader, I guess.  

It is not a matter of "if" he will ever need another surgery, but "when".  Until that time comes we will be grateful for the health he has and hope that medicine will advance alot more before he needs another procedure!

I would post a pic but it has been so long since I have been on TradGang that I don't remember the parameters for posting them.  I will check into it and post one later.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
Wow, Chip, what a blast from the past!!!

I been around a long time if it's been that long and Garett is now going on 9!  Gracious, but how time flies...

Great to hear he's happy, active and doing so well.

EZ to post pics... upload to a photobucket or similar hosting site, copy the IMG link and imbed it in your post... should pop right up.

Are you still doing your beautiful wood burning art?

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :campfire:   Welcome back and God Bless!
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »

Actually had a hard time finding a recent pic.  Here he is (red head on left) at his pinewood derby.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©