INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Update on Adler 12/17/10  (Read 2655 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Update on Adler 12/17/10
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
I got this from Adler's care page. This is written by his dad so prayers for Adler and the whole family would be appreciated.

"Adler had his weekly dose of chemo today, and a quick blood test. The good news is Adler was finished in time to make it to band. From there it went south. Anna said they got home from band and they all crashed. Adler started feeling poorly and Ethan is having allergy issues. We have had some car issues so Anna took me to school and picked me up today. Adler puked a couple of times this afternoon. Poor guy, he feels hungry, but doesn't want to eat because he's afraid he will puke. Oh but the fun doesn't stop.

We finally received blood counts this afternoon. Red blood cell dropping slowly down to 8.7, Platelets at 38000. It should be well over 150,000. When he received platelets last week, he was at 5,000. The big thing was his ANC. Last week it was 1200, today 140. The nurse just said. Good thing your home schooling him. Its funny that you get a message like that, and you immediately start getting nervous. I started thinking, "what if I bring something home?" Most of the time you almost try to put all this in the back of your mind. This brings it back to the forefront.

People have asked how are you and Anna doing? I have often said that it becomes routine. You get up you go to clinic, infusion, etc. You just know that when you get up, you go in to check on your boys and one of them has cancer. I was thinking tonight, what a load of crap I have been telling people. I sit here hurting I will admit it. The fact that my son can't leave the house because of fear of getting an illness that could be dangerous, hurts me. Kissing my son goodnight on his nearly bald head hurts. This stuff doesn't happen to me. I have always looked at others with major problems thinking wow, God knew they could handle that. He doesn't give me tough things because He knows I'm too weak, and couldn't handle it. Jokes on me. Just know if you ask how I am, one of these days I may just really tell you. This situation sucks, I hate seeing my son hurting and I am getting tired. I know I will get the Adler I love back, my active healthy Adler. I'm tired of this I want him back NOW!

I was asked if this had strengthened my faith, or weakened it. If God had not shown his role in the quick diagnosis, the hundreds of prayer warriors and the very generous helpers of time, talent, and money, I don't know what I would have felt. Jesus says "Never will I leave you nor forsake you". I can testify that statement is true. I've seen His hand throughout this. Yes I hurt, and I know he hurts for Adler, Me, Anna and Ethan. I know that he will not give me more that I can take. I just need to trust Him.

So Lord, I hurt for my son. Help! Amen!! I will end this with a prayer request that Adler's counts improve so he doesn't need blood this week. I am going to be selfish and ask for personal strength to finish my two classes these next two weeks. Thank you for your support and your continued prayers for my special boy. Much love to all of you. God bless you with the assurance that Jesus is with you today. I don't know about you, but my shoulders feel a little lighter."
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Update on Adler 12/17/10
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Adler's Dad brings tears to my eyes.  I know exactly how he feels because of all we have been through with Garrett.

prayers up from Kansas!
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Wearyness comes at us from all over. But to have a child who has been given these kinds of challenges would be almost more than anyone could stand. Both of you make tears come to my eyes but for a different reason. I weep because of the strength you both have to keep the game face on when you would rather scream for God to give you a reason for all of this. I am driven to tears by the way you both have faced this in your families and have shared it with us here so freely. I am strengthen to know that when it is my turn to need prayer in my life that you two will be reading and praying for me to have the strength to be an over comer just as ya'll are. That you will take time out of your lives and situation to lift me up to the same God whom you know is in control of this thing in your lives as well as others. I am humbled to be allowed to share in this with both of your families and for this peek into your lives........P.U.S.H. Pray Untill Something Happens..........Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
i have not been where you are, I know I can't fully understand.  I will pray for you and your family, especially Adler.  I know, as a Dad, if his hurting stops, yours will too.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline RayA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
We'll be praying here in Texas. God bless you all.

Ray
God, family, and bowhunting. Who says I'm not rich?

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Oh, Benson...

I thought perhaps the last reports being more upbeat, things were going better for Adler.

I share Rookie's reaction and others. Tears flowing down my face here at work. Shame that I lament my meager challenges compared to what some face. Fear that I do not have the Faith that brings strength, but I know God has been faithful in the BIG times of need... and it is I who lacks the perseverance and trust and resign myself, rather than live in hopeful anticipation of His renewal.

Lord in your Mercy, you know I believe, help me with my unbelief. amen.

Lord, my problems are nothing like Adler's. Be with him and help him to recover strongly and bolster his varied blood counts to renew him and sustain him and be with his family and those who love and care for him that they might be renewed and mindful of your presence and give them peace and strength. amen
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
prayers sent for Adler and his family

Offline bucksdown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
benson it really breaks my heart to hear of a sick child. so many of us need to count or blessings. i'm with doc, how meager is our problems when compaired to others. we will be praying for adler, and your family. i'm sure your faith is strong, keep pressing on our brother. we as GODS children will join together in prayers for him.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Got this off Adler's care page this am. The prayers sent from here have been a great help so please remember Adler during the next 2 months.

It was a good week for Adler. Any week you don't get poison put in your veins its a good week. Adler was more active and in a good mood. I broke up numerous wrestling matches this week. Usually Adler wound up on bottom, but it usually ended up in giggles.

Adler has had his appetite back this week. He has been my little hobbit having 2nd and 3rd breakfasts. He polished off a 10oz steak tonight for dinner. It makes a dad proud to see their boy put away a nice steak. Adler informed me that he is now up to 66lb. All I can say is praise the
Lord.

As you know, Adler begins his chemo again on Tuesday. This is the phase the doctors have told us will kick his bum. Tonight I think it hit Anna and I that our precious boy is going to go through some really hard times over the next 8 weeks. Though this week was awesome, we can not help but think about the difficulty Adler will face, and the pain he will endure.

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, It has been nice to see prayers answered. Weight gain, productive week, and lots of giggles were the answer to your prayers. For this, we praise God and thank Him for your faithfulness as prayer warriors. I am pleading with you to lift my precious son up in prayer. Please pray that Adler will remain courageous, and strong. That he will remain faithful to the Lord and continue to put his trust in Jesus. We know these next 8 weeks will be difficult, and we will be relying on God's love, grace and faithfulness. However we want you to know that you intercession on Adler's behalf is and will continue to be very important, and it means so much to us.

Enjoy your day of worship, and enjoy your week. Much love to each of you!!! We will keep you posted on how things go this week.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
May the Power of God see Him, and His Family, Through this Very Rough Time. Please Jesus, Ease the Pain and Suffering for ALL Involved, I ask this In Your Name Jesus Christ, Amen.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Can't see to type... can't see screen... makes me want to bawl out loud! Deep breath:

Thank you, Jesus, for the small gifts of Grace bestowed on so many in the midst of crisis and for the gains Adler has made specifically. Never let us stray so far that we are mired in the hurt without the memory of the empty Cross and that this world, this world..is not our final home.

If it be THY will, bring Adler through this last round of chemo well and with strength and reserves that baffle the docs that empowers this courageous family might be strengthened to witness loudly in your name the praises to you for Adler's healing. Amen.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Here's a note from Adler's dad that he put on last night. Today is the start of the worst of the chemo.
"We took Adler out tonight for dinner. I thought it would be nice for him to have what he wanted before tomorrow. He went with a combo plate of ribs, shrip, and chicken add in a large helping of rice, beans and cole slaw and you have one heck of a meal. Top it off with a brownie and ice cream. The boy ate all but the slaw. His goal tonight was to go to the hospital tomorrow at 67lb.

I was amazed at his attitude tonight. We didn't mention treatment or cancer once tonight. His ANC number today was 1000 and that was discussed but no further. He was just a hungry growing boy tonight. It was nice evening. His courage is beyond my comprehension. His endurance is unbelievable. His joy is amazing. He even asked Anna tonight if they could bring homework to work on after his spinal tap and while he is getting the other 3 drugs of chemo. I think we all know where he gets it from. It sure isn't his daddy. It can be no other than our faithful father in heaven. Yep He is listening and he is answering with a definite YES.

I know you will be praying for my brave son. I want to ask you to take a moment tomorrow to just praise God for his love for you and Adler. Praise Him for his faithfulness and mercy. After all, He is an awesome God. Thank you...I have to tell you that as I sat here tonight it was almost like you could just feel the presences of the Lord surrounding this family. Its really a different feeling a peace that has come upon me tonight. Wow!!!

Much love to you my dear friends. God bless your day, and your ministry tomorrow."

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
No words can add to that testement!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Been out of pocket for a couple of weeks but I'm back. I will praise the Lord for the good news and ask Him to give Adler good days thru the rest of his treatments. I pray that he will glide thru with little or no trouble. The Lord knows the way this will play out. Thanks for the update and for allowing us to peek into your lives. God Bless you and yours.............Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Today's carepage update be a good day to pray for Adler.
Thanks.

As we expected,Adler has slept and slept over the past two days. His back still hurts from the spinal tap, his muscles still ache, and his tummy is off and on upset. When I got home at 5 yesterday he was asleep. He got up and had dinner and took a warm bath, watched a little tv and went to bed.

Today Adler gets his P.E.G. shots. He told Anna yesterday, that he didn't mind the cancer stuff. He said I would rather not have it, but mom, I hate those PEG shots. I think the boy would take an extra month of chemo not to take those shots. He is so brave, such a strong boy.

Father in heaven, Thank you for Adler. You created such a special young man. I am blessed by him and his brother. Give him an extra measure of courage today to take these shots. I ask that you use these drugs to put an end to Adler's cancer so that he may live cancer free for the remainder of his days here on Earth. Amen

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Prayers sent. The strength your showing to each other is admirable. I know thats easy for me to say, as this has never happened to our family. Thank you for bringing this to this forum. There's power in prayer. Once again, your a testimony.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Adler needs to gain weight and fast or could be in serious trouble. Got this from his dad this evening.

Dr. Winter checked Adler out today in clinic, and was amazed at how much weight he had lost. If you were to feel Adler's back all you feel are spine, ribs and scapula. Dr. Winter said with so little body mass, the chemo can become really toxic to the body if the kids don't have enough mass. He said we are finished messing around with the weight. He either gains 2.2 lb by tue. or he will be required to get a feeding tube. This isn't the first time this has been mentioned, but Dr Winter said this was no joke this time. The boy must start adding weight or he will be really hurting by the end of the treatments come December.

I'm sure you know what I am going to ask, but here goes anyway. I am begging you to lift this boy and his weight gain up to the only one who can make this happen. I know he will hear our prayers and answer them according to what is best for Adler. I am just sick thinking about Adler having to go through another thing.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
Lord please help this child, his fate is in your hands alone, I'm praying for a positive outcome here. Lord have mercy on this child.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Nosight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Prayers from here..
Remember...aim small miss small...

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Prayers sent from Texas. (nut)