INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Traditional Archery and God  (Read 2021 times)

Offline bsimm78

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional Archery and God
« on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Traditional Archery is unlike any other anything in the world.  What is it like?  To the uninitiated, it's like hunting, or shooting, with a pistol, from the hip and hitting your target.  The vast majority of hunters or marksmen will never know the joy of traditional archery.  That's a shame because it, in my humble opinion, connects you more deeply to your target/task than you could ever get anywhere.  You don't have a sight, mechanical release or fall-away rest to impede your connection with God's bounty.  You don't look at the world through rose-colored glasses and we don't look at it through a peep site.  
     Traditional Archery is not an elitist undertaking.  It's kind of like being a Christian.  We all know we aren't perfect but we strive to live our life the way God intended.  We are all perfect in God's eyes.  We can do the job he intended for us.  We don't need anything extra to get the job done because we are good enough as we are now.  Kind of like a longbow/recurve and something more high-tech.
     As I go through life, I'm bombarded with obstacles and some are tougher than others.  I've been knocked down so many times I'm not sure if I have the strength to get up.  Whenever I start feeling down, I ALWAYS remember that I am good enough.  Although I'm not perfect, God made me, and you, in his image.  God is perfection.  Anything that happens does so for a reason and you can bet that God is behind it, directly or indirectly.
     I heard a message today about controlling our negative thoughts.  If you lose a job, the first reaction may be anger...followed quickly by others.  Why can't we realize that God is in control and, for a reason known only to Him, we aren't needed at that job anymore?  Though we may no understand His plan, he does have one.  I think this is all about trusting Him.  I truly believe that none of us trust Him as completely as we should.
     Just before I wrote this, I was sitting in my recliner, watching tv.  A strong urge to write came over me.  It was so strong that I had to act.  I'm not sure who I'm supposed to be writing to so I'm writing it here.  I figure that wherever I decide to write this, that is where God intended it to be.
     Deb and Jon (Cottonwood), thank you for helping me see past myself and start seeing what is laid out before me by God Himself.  My hope is that whoever reads this will find some comfort in these words.  I believe that God told me to write this because someone, maybe myself, needed to hear it.

Blake Simmons (bsimm78)

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional Archery and God
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
Thanks Blake, but this needs to be moved to Prayers/Concerns.
Larry

Offline bsimm78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
I don't believe it needs to be moved.  It isn't a prayer nor is it a concern.  It is one mans opinion and should fit perfectly in the PowWow.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
Sorry Blake, I think it's off topic, just my opinion.  :saywhat:
Larry

Offline bsimm78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
Larry,

What specific topic is "on topic" under powwow?  Everything should be "on topic."  After all, this is the general area of the forum.

Blake

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
I agree please move. Bowhunting is 'on topic'.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
:readit: ?  It's all good if you believe it. But I agree with redant Prayers and concerns is a good place for it.   :banghead:
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Right On Blake.  Good words.  and by the way; they can delete/move posts, they can say our kids can't pray in school, take God off our currency, out of the pledge, etc... but they can't remove God, I read the end of the book, He wins.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline bsimm78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
Sorry fellas but I believe that under Pow Wow, there is no "on topic", but a general discussion.  I will not move my post.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
That's cool Blake, I've been here a while and have had some of my post moved or pulled for off topic, Pow Wow is about bow hunting.  :cool:
Larry

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
Fellas, I tend to agree with Blake on this. I relate strongly to my daily spritual walk and traditonal archery/bowhunting, choices to be made whether in dealing with others, or taking an ethhical shot. Many times I have had guidance to go to a treestand or blind, where I normally wouldnt go, and end up seeing or harvesting an animal that I would have missed out on. The more I get in touch and in tune with Gods will, the more enoyable and succesful every hunt is, whether game is taken or not. I beleive that nothing, absolutely nothing in Gods world happens by coincedence. I have had this same, undeniable guidance throughout my life, and couldnt on my best day  make half the decisions that have steered me in the right direction if I tried, and have been able to look back, at hundreds of situatons that are all intertwined and directly related, and know that I was not in charge. When I have hunted so hard, and thought about throwing in the towel for the season, this  year is one, I get reasurance when I need it the most, and when I humble myself and ask for help, dont try to do everything my way.Some people on this board will never understand this post, or want to, that doesnt mean it is not valid. If any of you are offended by Blakes post or my reply, I apologize. It may not be politically correct, but that is a where a lot of the problems with this country today originate, IMHO.Sam.
samuel koger

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
Sam I'm not at all offended by Blake or you and your posts, It's just off topic on Pow Wow. It's about (bowhunting)   :banghead:
Larry

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
God Bless you all and peace unto your hearts. I'm sure that if the post gets moved it will be God's will. If not then God's will. There is a place for every thing and a season for every thing under Heaven. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 01:57:00 AM »
bsimm,
I understand and agree with the feelings you are having. Sometimes we are lead to share these thoughts about our faith and I believe it is disobediant to deny or subdue those feelings. We never know His plan. There may be someone who especially needs to read the words you wrote who will never even react publicly.  I had a dream in March 1997 that I share with people on a frequent basis that has had tremendous impact upon my faith and that of many with whom I've shared it. I firmly believe my willingness to share my experience is why I was given such a powerful gift.

Finally, I also get where some who are posting about the "on-off topic" issue are coming from. To give them the benefit of the doubt, some of these may be concerned your post may not be read by some who really need it because these folks may peruse "Prayers/Concerns more than PowWow?

If PowWow is just for bowhunting I see lots of posts (and I'm fine with them) that would be as "off topic" as (if)this about our kids, our wives, our best friends, budgets, what do you like like, how old are you, etc.

The subject of our Lord is always on topic as he is literally responsible for our existence.  
Nature (creation), hunting, bowhunting, traditional bowhunting bring many of us closer to our Maker and give us great pause to think about our lives and actions. I can't tell you how often, while walking to a stand in the pre-dawn, I take great joy in thanking Him for the opportunity to bowhunt and the passion I have for it. Sometimes I fear I have allowed bowhunting to become too important in my life and trust that He won't disapprove.

I'm reminded of how blessed I am as I'm here in England this week. I trained some archers yesterday who told me bowhunting is disallowed in this country.  One can hunt with firearms, air rifles but not bows. Apparently a very old prohibition dating to Kings law to protect the King's game--a travesty!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 03:42:00 AM »
If it were my call to make whether the original post stayed here or was posted on the "Concerns forum"(Alas,it's not) it would stay and also be posted over in the other forum as well.

I personally can't and won't try to separate God from my archery or bowhunting.

Without God, all is meaningless, including life itself.

Thank you Blake! I may not be "the one" who you were directed to write this for but I can tell you I got the message and I needed to hear it.

I also want to thank all of those who put God before all else,as it always is/was intended.

With the love of Christ
Your Humble Servant
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 05:09:00 AM »
Thanks for these words.

God bless

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Blake,
I am "the one" your words were meant for.  Thank you for the reassurance.  I was laid off from my job of 30 years this past May.  It has taken me six months to realize that the baggage of anger I've refused to let go of was destroying me. With God's grace and the help of the Holy Spirit, I'm laying it down and moving on.  Do not take offense that your post was moved.  I'm spending more and more time on this forum, as it's where you find the advice that really matters. It's also where you can find the "prayer warriors" like Doc Nock when you need them in a hurry!
Thanks again,
Richard
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Well I had almost the same feeling about writing something as an encouragement to others. I posted it on Pow Wow and it was deleted for being off topic. I will say that it didn't have anything to do with bowhunting. I didn't understand the rules of the site. (Bow hunting topics only).  
I will share my faith every time I have a chance too but will try to stay within the guidelines of this site.
I too find myself closer to Christ when I am in His creation probley because I am still and quite during this time. I have read all the responses that have been posted about this and all I will say is; We live in the greatest nation in the world because we have the right to speak freely and express our views no matter who agrees or disagrees with them.
This site has rules and we have to abide by them or not use it. The ones who are tasked with policing this site have the right to deem where our topics should be. I thank you fellows for doing this job as sometimes it comes without thanks.
I will continue to post up and try to stay within the guidelines, but will except it when you feel the need to move or remove one of my topics.
I found your post right on time and something I can relate to totally. Thank you for posting this being willing to follow the guidance of our Father. Those who are not born again can't understand what you are talking about. It is for those whom we must pray for the hardest. We have to pray for their spiritual eyes to be opened to the truth of what is awaiting for us after death. God bless you and yours and Happy Holidays to you all.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Blake,
This is a very good post. I'm like Mudd. It should be on both forums. I'm glad to see it wherever it is.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©