3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bitzenberger design question  (Read 299 times)

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
Bitzenberger design question
« on: December 20, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
I bought my Bitzenberger [sp] fletching jig in the early 90s, and when I switched to left-wing feathers, a simply bought a left-wing clamp. Now I see that right- and left-wing nock receivers are offered, but I don't recall them being required previously. My question is: Has the design of the jigs changed, such that a right or left-wing clamp has to be used in conjunction with a right or left-wing nock receiver? The model I have has a set screw adjustment on the jig to adjust the angle at which the clamp sets onto the arrow shaft - do newer jigs not have this feature (and thus the need for a specific nock receiver)?  :help:
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bitzenberger design question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
As I understand, you have always needed the nock receiver to match the clamp.  it sets the angle of the nock with respect to the feathers.  You can get by by not gluing the nock on right away, or gluing it very lightly and then turning the nock to match the feathers after they are attached.

ChuckC

Offline TheArc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
You really should just get the correct nock receiver, Archery Warehouse sells them for $15. If you have a reason to buy several things you might want to try taking advantage of the frequent free shipping and other discount offers and get one from Cabela's for $17. They went up 10% from last year and without the sales and specials they ain't a bargain IMHO:(
"And Moab, he lay us upon the band of the Canaanites, and yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." Rev. Clark Griswold

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
I have had a Bitz since the early 80s and only use 1 nock receiver for all of my fletching.  I fletch straight offset, RW, & LW with the same nock receiver.  I just don't glue on the nocks until after fletching.  You just have to make sure the nock does not move during the fletching process.  After fletching, I locate the nock just where I want it in relation to the fletching.  No big deal.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
I have an old Bitz and was told by the company that they had not made that particular modle since the 60s. It used the same indexer for all clamps. The good is that you could really make a radical helical with it. The bad is that, if you do, the front of the bottom hen feather ends up almost directly into your bows strike plate.  
The other day I was a scheel's and they were getting rid of some newer display modles so I bought one. When I got home I noticed that it had a the left wing clamp that I wanted but it had a right wing indexer.  I did fletch one arrow with it. I set the clamp to make it as radical as I could, but it is still pretty tame compared to the old one.  The good is that the bottome hen feather was right in the crotch of the shelf.  I called the store and they ordered a leftwing indexer for me.  I should have it in a few days.  If you want you can send an email in a week or so and I'll let you know what difference it made.
Brad

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Thanks Brad, will do.
Jeff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©