INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: kinda bummed  (Read 1879 times)

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
kinda bummed
« on: September 09, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Well last year I had surgery on my stomach during archery season, which made it very difficult for me do any hunting at all.  Despite my injuries, my dad took me to a spot behind the house on his quad, and about an hour later I shot a nice 8 point with my wheel bow.

After healing up I decided that I wanted to give Traditional shooting a try.  I have completely given up my wheel bow for several reasons.

First and most important is that my wife who would never try a compound, has learned to enjoy shooting trad, and is now on her second bow.  This is great for me because I get to go shoot and take my wife along with me, which makes shooting even more enjoyable for me.

the second reason that I really enjoy shooting trad is the groups of guys that you meet while shooting. Everyone that I have meet so far has been great, with helping two newbies.

The reason that I am bummed is that I am typing this post from a hospital bed.  I woke up in the middle of the night with stabbing pains in my stomach.  my wife is a nurse and told me that I needed to get to the ER.  I had a CAT scan as soon as I finished a nasty drink in the ER.  After that, my Doctor cam into the room and said are you ready to have surgery!!!  

He then wen on to explain that I had to have an emergency appendectomy, and to make it worse they couldnt use the scope to do the surgery, because of all the scar tissue from my previous surgery.

So I lay here in this bed with about a 6 inch cut on my lower stomach.  With archery season starting in a week or so, I think that my first season as a Traditional archery hunter is going to be hindered, by a sore stomach and, i'm sure the dr. will tell me not to be lifting heavy objects, or drawing my awesome Morrison, Dryad combo.  

I think I am gona give mike a call and see if I can get some light epic limbs to help me through my recovery.   :banghead:  two years in a row?????

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: kinda bummed
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Dang Adam, that's no way to end a good summer. Sorry to hear this. Hopes and prayers are for a quick total healing and be ready for the rut.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Your just being tested for something else that is probably going to be bigger than hunting, but hang in there brother, it'll get better.

Feel better soon.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Adam. The best thing is that trad archery has amazing healing powers. Just thinking about shooting and hunting with your trad equipment will put you in a positive frame of mind. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you can get back to shooting and hunting soon. Good luck!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Sorry man, I will be praying for you.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
There is a resaon for everything with his plans, do your best as he would expect and it will be fine
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Adam, heal up there will  be plenty more hunting trips in your future!

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Count your blessings Adam. As bad as it is for this to happen now, it could have happened a few weeks from now when you were up a tree, alone, and many miles from medical care.

Best of luck, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

-Dave

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Isn't that what duct tape is for? Just put on a few pieces and you'll be good to go.

Just kidding. I hope you recuperate quickly.

Offline Arrowest

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Adam, keep your chin up as I am sure you will be hunting this season and quite quickly I might add.  Yes, it won't be without some pain and discomfort, but I talk from experience.  

My little tale started out very similar to yours, actually 20 years ago to the day. WOW, I just realized that.

Anyway, I had an emergency appendectomy the day before I was to go on a combo mule deer / antelope hunt with a group from our local club.  When they got back 2 of them came to see me in the hospital and told me to get out as they were taking me hunting.  After 7 days in the hospital I got clearance from the doc to leave and the next day the 3 of us were on our way to hunt. I couldn't even do up my pants and had to wear sweats.  Getting to the point, I shot a mule deer and an antelope the next day and we were on our way home the day after.  Both gentlemen are trad shooters, both made sure I didn't lift anything heavier than my bow, and field dressed, skinned, and hauled my animals themselves. The guys names . . . . Jack Kempf & Duane Hicks, both long time friends and great guys that define what trad hunters are about.

So, if anyone that reads this can help Adam, take him on a hunt, trust me, he will greatly appreciate it forever.  Believe me, I know.
cheers, Dale

"TGMM Family of the Bow"
Kempf - Raven 50@28, Kwik Styk 51@28, Li'l Grizzly 50@28,
Checkmate Hunter III, 50@28, Bear Kodiak Magnum (70's) 45@28

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
i wanted to thank everyone for the words of encouragement, im sure it will help in  the healing.  

Dale that is a great story with a wonderful ending.  Hopefully i have the opportunity to tell everyone how great my hunting to come will be. like i said this is going to be my first trad hunting season, so no matter how it goes, I'm sure it will be full of wonderful events.  

Thanks again everyone for the kind words

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
Adam you may not feel it right at the moment but believe me when I tell you, "You are a blessed man!"

I had to fight back tears when I read Dales' story.

How stinking cool was that?... Way!!!...I'm saying..

My prayer is that you have some awesome hunts in your future and I believe they will happen for you.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Everybody's pullin' for ya!  Hang in there.
David M. Conroy

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Heal up Adam, You are a lucky man. Look too the future.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
Bummer, but better than a dirt nap. Heal up and catch a late winter or spring hunt.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Better you caught this sooner rather than later...

You'll recover and like has been said, catch some of the later bow season...

Rest up, and keep your spirits high....

:thumbsup:

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Prayers for healing sent.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Bummer for 2 seasons in a row, but didn't I already read even after surgery last year, you shot an 8pt?  In PA? You done good, Grasshopper, Wheels or not.  Trad is a choice, not a requirement...

Second, this likely won't be quite as exhaustive as what may have been your "other" surgery, and rehab will come suprisingly quickly.

Third, Hoss, you kiss that wife of yours! You can be awfully glad that this popped up and she got you in quick-like --- with a hot appendix you're blessed it didn't flare closer to season that you might have stupidly tried to "endure" and ended up in REAL bad shape...can't spell peritinitis for sure but that's a shot phoenetically.  You talk about long recuperations! Ugh!

Great to hear you got it taken care of w/out complications.  Season will keep...last week's the best and who knows? Do what you ought to and see how it comes along. There is always 2nd season!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
I am very thankful to have a caring and loving wife.  If not for her I would probably still be still be laying on the couch saying " I will get through this" then like you said, I would have major problems.  

I did take a pretty good 8 point last year (pure Luck) but I still got it done.  

just for a little laugh my wife and I are watching  the show "Wild Alaska" and she just said " isnt part of Russia like a really nice tropical forest" LOL.  just as she said that they showed a musk ox with about 6 inches of ice hanging from its head.  haha look at all the white sand I said.  She then stated " you are lucky you just had surgery."  just had to tell you guys this.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Adam hope you recover quickly.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©