INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Prayers for my Dad and me (update p2)  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Prayers for my Dad and me (update p2)
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Dad is ok and I'm back, only somewhat worse for the wear but grateful to have made such a trip with great guys.

When I finally got near the airport yesterday I had voicemails saying that my Dad had a chest infection and was on some strong anti-biotics.

Only got in at 1AM this morning so haven't been over yet... but thanks for the prayers for Dad!!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Nosight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
Prayers from here.....
Remember...aim small miss small...

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Prayer sent Doc.  God bless you folks and glad you had a chance to get away for a little bit to recharge.
Barry

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Well welcome back brother. I will pray for Pop and this new trial. Hope you had a great time. I missed your insite while you were away. When you see Pop's give him a hug from all of us. We will continue to P.U.S.H. on. God bless you and Pop's.......Dusty

P-ray
U-ntil
S-omething
H-appens
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Push'in in Kansas
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
Praying for God's best for both of you.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Doc, still thinking about you and your dad.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Thanks, Guys.

Dad is sleeping a lot of late. That "chest cold"(?) seems to have taken a lot out of him.

Got home 1am from airport on Tuesday AM and slept in, then logged on and worked work from home for 4 hrs. Showered up and headed over earlier than usual to see Pop.

He was tired, he said, but rallied and I fed him his "gruel" (they have him on pureed food due to increased swallowing difficulty).

He actually interacted well and I left about 6:30 after 2.5 hrs so's not to tire him too much.

Last night...he couldn't wake up more than to ackhowledge my presence...then off again. I stayed 40 min and left.

With him, I never know...is it the slope to the end, or just a bump in the road.

Thanks for your incredible support and prayers for Dad. Whatever is, will be God's will and I'm mentally prepared.  I will miss my Dad, but I'm ready for whatever happens--as ready as anyone can be to say farewell to their last parent.

You folks have meant the world to me here for more years than I can remember...

Thank you!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Continued prayers for both of you my Brother.

In HIS service
Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Dave,
Got you and Dad on my daily list.
Jed
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Okie man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »
Continued prayers for you and our father during these difficult times. God is watchiing over you both in your time of need.
When the moment of truth arrives, the time for preparation has passed

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
God bless you and your Dad Doc.  Prayers from here too.
Barry

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Prayers continue for your Dad and you.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Amazing how long t his thread has carried.  I never thought Dad would make it this long after where he was in Jan/Feb.

Hospice gal just called. She was in to see Dad. they've been in and out since Feb when Dad's doc thought he was done for... Dad rallied, then crashed again and is just limping along.

This gal is so kind. She's concerned as to what stress I'm under.  Then she did finally say that one advice they give is to picture decisions now and how will we feel in 2-3 yrs after the loved one is gone.

:)   some taper back to 2-3 visits per week...I try to go daily. It's not that far, it just carves my life in two. What with driving 2 hrs to and from work, having to work 9hrs/day, there is precious little home time to do chores and no "Mrs." to help out, but then no kids to be underfoot, so it averages I guess.

I can't imagine my Dad lying there watching TV day in and out with no visitors although Hospice does come by during the week...different ones I guess.  

It just seems "wrong" not to go. Well, Saturday we had a blizzard and my truck is sick, so I called him and said I'd not be in. Last night, the truck really acted up on the drive home and barely got it in the driveway...called him again and said, "not risking walking" and didn't go.

Just to have time to myself, or to get chores done? I don't think so.

Each of us have to weigh and choose.  I appreciate the prayers.

I've found in times past, when I think I am so wrung out I can't possibly take another step, sometimes, a whole heap is dumped on me and I realize with God's help, there is no limit to how much crap we can endure!!

Once you go thru that experience, it makes it hard to cry "UNCLE" too loudly next time in the hopper.  Lord always provides enough to get by... I might not like it..even strongly dislike it, but I can/will survive.

So thanks, folks. Your prayers mean a lot to me.  My biggest request is for peace for Dad. They have him on pureed food that looks like slurry... he's not eating much lately. Can't blame him. He doesn't swallow well, aspirates a lot and now has constant coughing and will develop pneumonia sooner or later from that...

They're doing their best for him with what they have to work with... it's all in God's hands.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Prayers continue Dave
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
Heartfelt Prayers for you and your father. Hang in there Doc.
              The Lords Peace,
                              James
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Brother Dave, Still here standing guard. Still praying for your strength and health as well as that of Pop's.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline sorno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
Praying for your strength Doc.  Listen carefully, the Holy Spirit will guide you.  God doesn't make any wrong decisions.
S.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Doc,

You sir........amaze me. There are very few (if any) things in life that can try us like watching a loved one becoming helpless. I went through the same thing several years ago with my Grandmother. There comes a point that they no longer have the "willingness" to carry on. At the time, it went pretty much un-noticed by me and the whole family.........but looking back on it, I can almost tell you the exact day that it happened. Someone that has been a "giver" for their entire life is no longer able to "give". She felt like she was a burden on us, which couldn't have been further from the truth. Oh, what I would give for just one more day to just chat with her.

I have seen the "aspiration" on TO MANY occasions in the assisted living facility that I used to work at. The people that feed them the liquified food aren't given enough time to let the patient eat at "their own" pace, which I am sure contributes to them aspirating food when it is put in their mouth.

I will keep both your Dad and You in my daily prayers..........and as I said before, YOU are a truly amazing man and shall be rewarded ten-fold someday for your commitment to your Dad.

God Bless you and yours.............

Thy will be done

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Thanks, Everyone.

You all humble me with all the revelry.  I remain puzzled because perhaps I'm too close but it all seems to be just what anyone would do.

Don,

I can tell you that I can only WISH for "chats" with my Dad... that hasn't been much at any time, but surely not for the past 10-12 months.

Mostly, we sit together and watch TV...he has such trouble forming thoughts and putting them together, and get frustrated. With me, he seems to be content to just sit and watch TV.

The hospice chaplain said to me, "ministry of presence, son, ministry of presence" That made sense.

So many things I'd love to discuss and review with Pop, but he was never much of a talker...living with Mom, he couldn't get a word in edge-wise, so guess over 59 yrs he gave up trying!  :)

I know when he goes, there will be a flood of things I wish I could have asked...but even the past year, asking about family, people, places, events...they're all lost and gone. He no longer can recall things and if he does, he can't string it together in a coherent thought.

It seems more loving and Christian to just sit with him and let him direct the visit. Most I get is he reaches out and holds my hand.

Last night...I woke him when I got there, but he couldn't stay awake...stayed 20 min and asked the staff if he woke to tell him I was there and I went on home.

Yes, Don...God's will be done.  Our is not to reason why..  :)

Thanks all!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©