INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Friend's neck surgery : UPDATED last post  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Friend's neck surgery : UPDATED last post
« on: October 11, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Sorry to be hogging the limelight of late. I'd rather not have need of prayers for these situations.

Tomorrow at 8:30, a lady with many fears undergoes surgery to fuse 3 vertabrae in her neck with blown out discs.  She waited foolishly till her daughter is in college a couple hours away to have it done out of fear, and will now have a tough go of it living alone.

I'm encouraged as it may force her out of her 'shell' and into socialization with other women and neighbors!

Asking a quick prayer for good surgical success and that she knows His peace that passes understanding.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Friend's neck surgery : UPDATED last post
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
On the way to her.  May the Good Lord ease her fears and help her in her recovery.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Prayer sent brother.  Sounds like a mother for you!  Doesn't want to bother anyone for anything no matter how important it might be.
Barry

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Prayers sent. My bow building mentor is having the same thing done tomorrow. Prayers for God's best for both.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
Doc prayers for her,I've been through it and she will need help with getting around and just getting by.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Berube

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
Prayers sent!

Offline Nosight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
Prayers from here...
Remember...aim small miss small...

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Barry, that is pretty humerous right there, suffice it to say she's a decade younger and very conflicted after 20 yrs in a bad marriage and suffering from low self esteem and believing she was right to be treated badly of the low self esteem.  Vicious circle.

I wish I hadn't read what you wrote, Larry. She's ignored (out of fear) getting the surgery till she can't function, waited till she's alone.  She'll stay with her "Ex" for a few days and then try to do it at home alone.

She's actually reached out to a few neighbor ladies, which is growth for her so maybe this will help her become less isolated?  I'll be out of state for a week.  

Some folks you can use logic to help them try to formulate plans, but that old "fear factor" keeps them in a rut!

If only she'd done this in August when her kid was around...  :(

No word and it was 8:30 this AM, but I'm not thinking she's up to txting just yet!  :)

Still praying the surgery went well and that God will use this to drag her outa her shell!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I txt her kid at 5PM as hadn't heard... surgery went ok. Finally got call from lady about 6:00. She was repeatedly throwing up. She told them she was sensitive to pain meds, but they gave her too much apparently.

This will be a wild ride... Thanks for the prayers as the surgery went ok...now for the rehab...Fear can lead us down some gnarly paths.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Great news about the surgery!  Now for God's will for the other parts of her life.  Thanks for the update Doc
Barry

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Prayers sent for a full recovery and healing.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Thoughts and Prayers for a boring ordinary surgery and quick healing.

Butch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Woman is doing ok. She had to recuperate at her Ex's house rather than be alone...

Funny story: he saw them give her one pain pill in the hospital, so he gave her one at home.

She can't figure why the pain was so bad all week as the doc said each day it should subside some... she finally reads the Rx bottle herself...it's 1-2 pills every 4 hrs...he was giving her ONE!  :)  

Sometimes we orchestrate our own folly, don't we?

She seems to be doing a bit better. Her kid is on some break tomorrow and will be home so she can go back to her own apt and settle in while the kid's home!

Thanks for the prayers for her surgery and that this will be a time of courage building and stepping out in faith vs. fear.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »
That is some good news Doc. I will continue to lift her up till you say different.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Updated my friend with cancer surgery that went awry and he lost a leg needlessly.

Now for update on the friend with neck surgery:

Been almost 3 mos... last doctor visit, she was told she can finally start doing some gentle PT without the brace...and to only wear the brace when a) she drives and b) neck muscles get tired.

Now she MUST find some suitable work to do to survive financially.  she's been incredibly cautious to heal well and it seems to have paid off...now for her to get good PT and get back in the game of life!

Thanks for your prayers. She's not out of the woods yet, but at least peeking out to the clearing!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Thank you for the update Doc, and we'll keep praying!
Barry

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »
Doc from someone who's been there,tell her not to overdo it,I did and the fusion only partially took,I was stupid for doing it but got bored and thought I was invincible,needless to say I still have problems with it but nothing I can't live with,slow and easy is the way to go.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Thanks, Guys!

Larry, she's so paranoid, she's done absolutely NOTHING much... but now is allowed to do PT and take off brace. From what I hear from her in emails, she's still not allowed to take any pain meds...Doc feels it slows the calcification of the fusions...so she's doing pt a few times week and taking it pretty slow. Tires easily, neck muscles and all her muscles are pretty weak.

But I'll cut and paste and let her know your sage words!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Slow and steady pace will win the race.

Hope the recovery goes as good as possible Doc
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Larry,

I cut n pasted your comments... sent them in an email. She'd already "forgotten" what she told me 2 weeks ago when she got permission to take off the brace after 3 mos...to go slow...not fully fused yet...start gentle therapy...etc.

How DO you forget such admonitions from a doc? One thing to get impatient and do too much, but to forget.

she thanked (us) for reminding her to not charge ahead...

In God's hands...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©