INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Done for season-----Amost Permanently  (Read 2663 times)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Done for season-----Amost Permanently
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I just can't believe my luck this year. I didn't get to hunt at all last year due to bad breaks, I missed all the shoots this year, and just finally got ready to hit the woods for the last half of our season here.

This morning on the way to work on my motorcycle a guy in a jeep made a left turn right in front of me. The road was wet, so I was riding slower than the limit, which probably saved my life. I ended-up smashing into the side of his vehicle at about 30 mph. We were the only vehicles on the road at 4:45am.

My bike is totaled and I just spent half the day in the ER. The ribs on my left side are fractured and that side is banged-up something fierce. I couldn't even hold my bow in my left hand and it's mighty painful just to breath.

The whole thing seemed to unfold in slow motion and just before impact I thought of Chris Surtees, probably because ever since his accident I've played it out in my mind many times, every time some idiot pulls out in front of me.

It could have been much worse than missing some hunting and I Thank God for being there for me. You can bet I'll be saying a longer prayer than usual this evening.

Well, you folks keep chasing 'em and I'll be living vicariously thru your adventures for awhile.   :pray:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Done for season-----Amost Permanently
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Thank the Good Lord you are still alive.  It is good that you can give Him credit where credit is due.  

Missing hunting is definatly not the worst that could have happeded here.  Glad to hear you made it out with minor injuries.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
Get better soon, no doubt you will, just take it slow. they'll be enough deer left over for next year.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Most common motorcycle accident. I ride like everyone is trying to kill me. Really glad your going to be OK. God speed

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Prayers for your healing and pain!  Glad you are still with us!!!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Sorry to hear. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
That is certainly a bummer.  Give thanks and enjoy the bright side.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Just lost a good friend last week to a motorcycle accident; same scenario, somebody turned left in front of him. Get well and stay safe. Glad you are still with us!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Danny I'm so sorry to hear that, I know you will heal quick, and you will make winter bow. You have a positive attitude and friends who care about you and this will speed your recovery. If you should need anything let me know. Take care and get well soon.Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
All the best to you, take your time and heal up.   :campfire:
David M. Conroy

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Sorry you're banged up but glad it's not worse, Dan.  Speedy recovery to you!  

The second time I road-rashed myself to burger I decided the bike had to go.  I crushed in a Sampson full-face helmet sliding on my back across a lawn and into a tree after dumping it on a twisty road and sort-of walked away . . . eventually.  I laid there 20 minutes not being able to move and no one came by.  Put the fear of God in me for certain.  She was a Suzuki GS650EX Café.  Had an "On/Off" switch instead of a throttle, at least the way I rode it, and sooner or later I was going to kill myself.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
That is terrible, but it could have turned out much worse.  Take you time healing, listen to the Drs. and get ready for next year!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Thank the Lord you are ok. Get well soon!

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Get well soon! Glad it wasn't worse
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline briarsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I sold my Harley  because one too many idiots pulled out in front of me, including my neighbor in a fully loaded semi. I almost laid it over that day and that was the final straw for me.

Heal quickly and get em next year.
Black Widow PLX Osage
Black Widow PLX Crossgrain Graybark
Red Feather Archery broadheads!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Take it easy and heal up well.  Living to hunt another day may not have been the plan, but better than the alternative.  I have been there many years ago. Had the exact same thing happen on a bike.  Still recall the drivers expression as he saw me about 3' from his side window just before we meet about face to face.  :scared:    :biglaugh:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Hey Danny,

Glad to hear you're ok.  I ride quite a bit and the thought of going down or getting hit is always on our minds, hopefully making us a better rider.  There are however, situations like yours where we have no control. Hopefully in time you'll be back to shooting your bow and maybe a little new bike shopping. For now, one day at a time.

Again, so glad to hear you walked away in "relatively" good shape.

Tim

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
As a motorcycle rider I know what you mean about the left turn vehicles.  Unfortunately, car drivers just don't look for anything other than another car.  Thank goodness you didn't get banged up more than you are!  Have a safe and speedy recovery, and be ready to hit the deer woods next season.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Glad you walked away from that one.  I've had my share of close calls with drivers, deer, yotes, etc. but had two incidents like you describe....no seeing driver turning left in front of you.  Both times I ended up locking up the back wheel on the Road Glide and sliding sideways.  If the wife had been on the back the second time I wouldn't be typing this.  

Good luck and hope you recover quickly.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Prayers for your quick recovery. We're glad it's not worse.  Get well soon!!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©