INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Down for the count awhile  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
Down for the count awhile
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Last monday morning, I had shoulder surgery done to my right shoulder, about 10mm of the collarbone removed on the shoulder end.

Rehab training isnt that fun I can tell ya!   "[dntthnk]"
  But I have a clear goal, I've orderd some Easton legacy sticks and I want to get some feathers on them and start shooting!   :)
  My longbow is hanging in the garage waiting for me.

So *********** is a nice site for inspiration, more than before I can tell you that much!

Anyone else who's done about the same surgery? If so, how long before you where shooting again?

Take care all fellow archers.
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Down for the count awhile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Good luck with the rehab and I wish you the best.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Hang in there, your attitude seems good. Broke my right hand last year, drew back for the first time two months later...ouch.
Got any super light bows for rehab?
David M. Conroy

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
Do the rehab it works, I had knee Knee placement in Nov. and I am doing great after rehab.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Hmmmm...maybe get a set of lighter limbs för my recurve? good idea!....I'll start looking right away!

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
I can't shoot for at least another month and it's killing me. I had some recent inner ear surgery. They had to reconstruct the inner ear bones and graft a new ear drum.

Hopefully I'll get some hearing back in my left ear. I'm getting pretty tired of not being able to tell the direction of approaching deer. Worse yet, I think they know   :biglaugh:  

Good luck to you, hang in there and do the rehab. Stick to your goals. I'm working on some new arrows now myself. At least I can do that!

Dave
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
I feel your pain, I herniated a disk just after the season started and have not been able to hunt at all this year. Im still waiting to find out what my options are. But I have been craving some shooting so my brother lent me a recurve in a lower poundage to work with. I shoot longbows in the 70# weight class and cant shoot them yet,so the little recurve is gonna get me in the yard shooting.Get well and do as the doc says.Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Go slow with the rehab before you pick up a bow. Too much too soon and you may not be hunting next season. Start of with light bows. Once i started shooting again after surgery it always helped to ice the shoulder afterwards. Best of luck.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
Good luck with your bump in the road.
With your good attitude you will prevail.

John

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
Everybody here at TG will pull for you for sure! Hope you;re back in the woods after 'em pdq! Can't say about *********** folks? Probably nice guys too?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Will be spending time doing some mental training, creating positive mind pics of shooting, reading books and forums and watching archery vids on the tube to keep the goal of being back shoooting until spring time at the latest (that's about in may here)

And i do hope that I'll have a bow hunting season to look forward to, we arn't allowed to hunt with bows here in Sweden yet, but we hope it will be allowed in 2012, fingers crossed.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
I had a similar surgery on my AC joint about five years ago.  Ground off the end of the bone that was deteriorated from arthritis.  I will need to have it done on the other side eventually.  It's tough for a while.  I still remember trying to adapt to temporarily only having one functional arm.  Recovery was a b....  It took me quite a while in the gym after I got the ok from the surgeon to get my strength and mobility back.  The upside is the surgery was completely successful.  You will get through it and feel younger and stronger on the other side...   :thumbsup:

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Alf:::Best of luck with your rehab  :pray:

Offline guk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
hang in there keep your chin up. had neck surgery in sept and missed bow season for the first time in over 30 yrs. listen to the doc dont rush it. thats the hardest part the waiting.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Good luck and hurry and get well.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Best wishes on your rehab.

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
I had that same operation on my right shoulder last Feb and it didn't go too good. I sold my 55# bow but still have a 58# that I can't shoot yet. I am rehabing it with some rubber bands and a wheel bow set at a lower poundage. I think it is almost back to where I need it to be. I'm going to be looking at another longbow soon. Hope things go your way but don't rush it.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
One shoulder 7 yrs ago and another 3.  They had to grind impingements of arthritis out on both sides, grind off spurs that were shredding tendons to look like friz sticks for campfire starting, and one was a torn 3-corner rotator tear.

I constantly beratted my surgeon till he got the message: "Tell me the difference between pain and damage... Let ME decide how much pain in rehab I can take, but YOUR JOB NOW is to make sure I know where the line is between pain that is discomfort and pain that is potentially causing damage!"

We finally communicated and I had surgery Aug 27 and was shooting a 50+ # bow by November but I worked at home daily once I was allowed to do excercises on my own.

Those weeks where only the PT could move my arm, were weeks of tears rolling down my face it hurt that badly...

KNOW...then DO! Not the other way around!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Good luck with your recovery!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
The hard part is just to stay cool and not rush things!
It's only one week ago that I made this surgery, feels pretty good actually, but it's easy to rush the rehab and that comes with a price, more pain!

Orderd a set of 30Ibs limbs for my Samick Redstag, just to be prepared when it's time to pick up the bow again.

It's good to hear from you guy's that doen the same thing and hear that it's a way back to archery, keeps the positive attitude easyer to withold.

Thanks for your support

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©