INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Down for the count awhile  (Read 4784 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Down for the count awhile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Dude,

Not just more pain if you screw around and rush things...but you can mess up the repair and then... scar tissue, more surgery...worse conditions and a long, long, rehab!

It's just not worth it! You've got months till warm ...wait...you're in Sweden, what the heck do I know about your seasons...nada!

Regardless, TIME is your friend and impatience is your enemy!

Be smart or, you can repent at your leisure...  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
That is  great advice from Doc. That is what I did to mine. I got to feeling so good I didn't take it slow enough and now I'm a year later still working it back into shape. Some of us (ME) are smarter than the Dr's or so we think. Be smart and give it the time it needs to heal. For me it's time to remember that I ain't no spring chicken any more. Things heal slower than they use to. They also hurt more as well. LOL! I will continue to pray for healing and you continue to go slow and easy.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 02:16:00 AM »
Feeling quite sore at the moment, but that's due to that I'm not taking as many painkillers as before, trying to cut down on thoose. Rehab goes quite fine, got good mobility in my arm after all, will meet my PT next monday for more exercises.
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline Right Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Good luck with your recovery.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Slow and steady.... wait to get too rambunctious till you see the PT, eh?

Good for you managing the pain meds!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Like Doc says, better slow and steady and get it done once than to have to repair and go thru it all again.  Prayers to you brother!
Barry

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:00 AM »
I'll take out the stitches on next monday and meet my physiotherapist to check my mobility and to get new rehab exercises.
Went down to my hunting and fishing room in my garage yesterday, outside hangs my longbow with quiver, longing for being taken care of, but I didn't even take her down, she'll have to wait some more before I even think of trying to make a drawback.

This is my mental picture and goal, to be able to to shoot again.

Managing without painkillers now, it hurts at the wound it self and certain woment of course hurts like hell, but it's not that bad after all.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
You WILL shoot again....sooner than you think... but you need to clear it with the surgeon first!

Then slowly...use bands...build strength...test it according to his suggestions/directions...then even borrow some lighter bow to shoot...

Pulling isn't often the issue...the "recoil" of letting go of the string causes all sorts of things to jump around inside the shoulder...THAT is when things "let loose" if they're not fully healed!

Keep the Son in your eyes!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
A bit of two steps back today, cant move my arm du to pain today, back on painkillers in other words :/
Been very causius with the rehab, this must be something else, maybe it's a natural process in the healing overall?

Been feeling so good this week, freezing cold by the right hand to.
Well well...ups and downs are a part of it I guess...

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Alfie, follow the doc's orders on meds. If your painkillers are "anti-inflamatories" (like Motrin/Ibuprofen) you may not need to stop using them for a while- ask your doc.  Inflamation is not your shoulder's friend. Even during Phys/Therapy, you need the anti-inflamatories, and ice pacs (20 minutes max each time on the ice).  

Take your time & follow the P/T's excercises.
CoilSpring

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 04:16:00 AM »
3 weeks after surgery now, after the little setback last weekend, it feels like on on the track again.
Been of the heavier painkillers since friday, can sleep all night without any problems, rehab training works fine, I do apply a cold bandage (got a lot of snow here, that helps) after the exercises to my shoulder to prevent swelling and that helps.
Will meet my physician this week to check my progress and get some new exercises I hope.

Thanks for your support out there.

// Alfie who longs for shooting my longbow and recurve soon

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Hang in there Alfie and keep up the good work!  Prayers for you and yours brother!
Barry

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Great news. I shot a 50# Bear I bought off this site last week a few times Friday and it didn't bother me too much. So maybe things are coming around. I had to warm it up before I tried it but all in all it didn't hurt too bad. Just take your time and follow the Dr's advice and you will be back to your old self (without the shoulder pain) in no time.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
There ya go!!
Barry

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
PRayers for a pleased surgeon's report--that's the real measure to go by!

Keep the bow on the rack!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 06:57:00 AM »
I have had 3 surgeries on my right shoulder, the last two of them the same thing you have had, a clavicle resection. I hope that yours gets better and stays better, but mine hasn't. Hopefully you don't have to go back to the same repetitive things that caused it like I have had too. 25yrs. in the Illinois oilfiels haven't been nice to me !! After my last surgery I stated shooting light poundage bows in about two months. I was a stubborn knucklehead about a month aftewards and went dove hunting ! Not a good idea, the 12 guage was a little too much too soon ! My Doctor told me to feel things out and do a little as things started feeling better.  
        Prayers sent for a speedy recovery,
                             James
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Been to the physician today, got real good mobility in my shoulder, maybe due to the fact that I trained alot before surgey?
Got new exercises to practice and a rubberband, hey! I'm allowed to put on some resistanse!

Time to go and pick up my Easton Leagcy 2117 shafts that i orderd and start making some arrows  ;)
Waiting for some blunts and judos from 3Rivers to, must be ready when it's time to pick up the bows again  :D

// Alfie that's more hopeful now

Offline Right Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Good news!  You'll have your bow out of the garage before you know it.

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »

The scar is quite ok.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
That tight cropped shot makes it hard to know what I'm looking at, but I know you had your shoulder worked on. My scar was on top...and 3 pin holes where they did the preliminary arthroscopic stuff...then cut me open to do the rotator cuff repair!

The pics they took INSIDE my arm were amazing... I got a set of them they were just too cool! INSIDE my shoulder...totally flippin amazing!

Heal well...don't get too rambuncious! Those bands are a long way off from a bow! What color did they give you?  

Stay smart and go slow but steady!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©