INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Down for the count awhile  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Down for the count awhile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
I'm on the yellow bands at the moment, and yes I will try to be smart and take i slow, I can feel that I've been doing my exercises, would I push it some or use more weight it would hurt, I'm right at the borderline now so I'll take it real slow and easy.
The photo got on it's side, the scar is on top, so if you lean you head to the left side it would be right  ;)
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
-35 outside today, a fire in the fireplace feels good.
Cant practice more than twise a day or else I will strain the shoulder, nice and easy now....

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Sounds like you've gotten the message that patience now will reap dividends in healing in years to come!

Keep up the good and patient work, patient!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Tought of taking a walk earlyer today to get the blood pumping some...at -35 outside I decided to make a fire in the fireplace and take a lazy day instead, a good dinner and some TV time will round of this day, only one training sesson today with the rubberbands.

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
Rehab has it's own time, it's boring!
I'm a manager at a waterpark so I have the luxury of using a warm jaccuzi to do some of the exercises, nice when it's -30 below outside.
One of the harder things is not to try to rush things! I want to try to draw my longbow, I want to try just one arrow, just to try....
Patients or lack of is my biggest enemie at the moment.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
One word from an old geeze... whenever they'd put me in the pool to do rehab, I'd get knocked down a day or so later for a few days.

Figured out in that warm water, it's VERY EAZY to overdo it! Feels good...no pain...just go...then---BAM!

We decided it was better to do the exercises moderately and then sit the jets for a few to just uncoil the muscles...

Leave the bow unstrung, dude! Geeze!  They'll tell you soon enough it's ok! Then... then you can "push!".   :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
DON'T do it Alf, don't draw that bow and mess up that surgeon's work. NOT worth it. Listen to Doc and the Doc. Bands and range of motion exercises like the Dr. ordered; then ice 20 minutes max (not heat).  

In 6 weeks, then ask the Dr. what's next; "boring" is good for your shoulder and your bowhunting.
God bless..
CoilSpring

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
The cold have gone on the retreat for awhile here, now just about -10 out side, real nice!
I've manage to stay away from the bow, easyest way is just not to go into the hunting&fishing room! that way I'm not reminded that much...but I do hear the woods calling for me, just think about getting my snowshoes on and get out there hitting some stumps..*sigh*...in time I guess..

Rehab going quite well, mobility good but I do some movemenst with out thinking some times and that I have to pay for now and then :/

My goal is to be able to get the arrows in the air some time during spring, may at the latest...fingers crossed..

// Alfie that tries to be patient about things

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
It WILL happen Alfie. And the restraint you generate now will pay dividends in a longer shooting career and a more pain-free life!

Keep the Son in your eyes!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Been out in the woods today, snowshoes on and my german hunting terrier as company, we found some fresh hare tracks that we tried to figure out but all the snow falling from the trees messed up the tracks, a pity that I didnt found the camera charger  "[dntthnk]"  there where some nice pics out there.
Feels good being out and get the blood flowing, nice warmup before rehab bunges at home.
And yes, I missed my longbow (and I think it missed being out with me), alot of nice targets waiting for my arrows out there.

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
I have been shooting a little more with the Bear I bought here on here. It still hurts if I go too long but for the most part it feels great.  You jut take it from someone who went at it too fast and take it easy. Shoot now a little or wait and shoot a lot later if you know what I mean. I am still praying for you to have the mind set to give it time.
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
I feel for you. I fractured my left shoulder in December of 2010 and was back shooting in June. It has been a full year recovery but i hunted last fall and feel the rehab was what gave me my strength. All the best to you. Those rehab bungees don't seem like much but they work!

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Been working out my rehab routine 2-3 times a day now, will see fysiotherapist tomorrow to measure my progress, I even tried to make a draw with the bungecord and it feelt real good, no pain or something, but even though I where greatly tempted to string up the longbow and try, I didnt, no need to hurry things.

Hanging in there and have high hopes to be able to make a draw soon, as it feels now it will be sooner than later.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Alfie,

Drawing, from what I was told and memory allows me to recal at this age, isn't the big issue...it's the rebound when you let go!!

If the muscles aren't healed enough...you can ease it back, but when you let go, all sorts of muscle fibers start flapping around inside and can tear loose.

Bam. You loose! Check it out... start w/ a light bow...When THEY SAY!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Been to my physiotherapist today, good mobility and some new exercises, still some time before I can handle a bow though :/
She reminded me that it's only 6 weeks ago since surgery, to early yet to expect more and she's right of course, even though I want it to go faster.
Just take it easy and do my mobility training and other exercises.
Still winter here, I got time to heal and wait....

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Good news on the great report. Don't screw it up!

Hide the bow and just do the grunt work!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 03:02:00 AM »
Mobility are quite ok now, time to start buliding some strenght now, new exercises to do, almost painless now just medicating to prevent inflamation.

Still some time until I can make my first draw this year though, spending my time "picking out the right spot" on things  :D  
Got my new Easton Legacy 2117 shafts with some feathers and things so I can spend some time making arrows atleast.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Great to hear of your good progress... Sounds like you're being smart, heeding the doctor's orders and keeping the long-range goal in focus.

Moments of frustration pass, but mistakes sometimes haunt forever.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
Been to the therapist this morning, the physio one that is  ;)

Good progress, I mentioned the archery thing and we did some tests....and I'm now allowed to start muscletraning as if I'm shooting!
No pains during the draw with the rubberband.
But I have to wait until I make a full draw with a release, but it's ok to start with short draws with release....I'm on track boys and girls!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
Congrats!  Now is not the time to try to shorten the rebuilding curve!

Excellent news and a just reward for doing the smart thing to date! Keep working. Keep listening! Keep the Son in your eyes!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©