INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Just asking  (Read 1322 times)

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Just asking
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Hey Gang.  I just want everyone here to use sound judgement and to ask your family to do so as well.  My best friend is as close to his deathbed because of doctors without a conscience and a family who seems to be in another dimension.
He complained to me 6 weeks ago of a urinary problem that had been going on for 3 days.  I suggested a doctor's visit to his primary care physician.  Being that he works in Manhanttan and lives close by that he either would do that or go for an ER visit close to work.  Needless to say, his wife pushed him to go to a local hospital closer to home.
Upon first examination, they (the MD's) determined it to be a gall stone, and they would remove it, then after a 6 week recovery, go in again and remove the gall bladder.  This seemed odd to me.  Why two surgeries instead of one.  Well, after 3 days in the hospital, they finally went it and removed th stone.  30mm, pretty big for a stone.
Post-Op, he's still in the hospital and feeling worse.  Constant fever, white cell count climbing, pain in his abdominal area, etc...  Well, the MD's, now numbering 6 on his case, are dumbfounded as to what is going on.  Maybe an infection, maybe you cut him during the surgery.  They were clueless.  Endless MRI's and CAT scans, two exploratory surgeries, and another surgery to install a stent, becuase they in fact did cut his bile duct.and I just had to step in.  Bile was leaking into his body cavity, and these guys (12 now) had no clue!!
After a week of prodding, his wife finally got him transferred into the MD's care whom I recommended and into a different hospital. The stent installed had migrated, nearly impossible, but they put it in wrong, and they removed close to a gallon of pus and dead tissue from his body cavity.  He also had a systemic, wodespread infection.
Needless to say, he went from a vibrant, 42 year old man, to weakened 140 pound shell of himself in 6 weeks.
He is finally on the mend, but cannot walk, has hallucinations, needed blood transfusions, and is being fed by IV. Don't know how it will pan out.  Don't know how much damage was caused, only time will tell.
Not every doctor got A's.  What do you call a person who graduated Medical School at the bottom of their class?  Doctor!!!  Please research and get second opinions.  Have your family and friends advocate for you.  Doctors should not be placed on pedestals, they are human, make mistakes, and some should not be practicing medicine.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just asking
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
Praying for your friend.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
You can add nursing home care to your list of scary places to have loved ones.

My neighbor went into our major hospital to have a small cancerous leision removed from his colon, they forgot to remove one clamp...nurses didn't check a pulse in his leg. Leg died. 5 partial amputations led to radical taking the butt cheek and all.

The man lived, but is a shadow of who he was now with a bag and one leg!

And under some current legislation, it will only get worse!

I, too, will pray for total healing for your friend and may he have the ability to bring some retribution and accountability to that situation.  Not for punative reasons, but to stop what is not right from recurring.

Lord, in your Mercy...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
Having worked in EMS for 15 years I could tell you somethings that would make your blood boil. What a joke some of them are.I will pray for your friend and his FULL recovery.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Thank you all for the prayers, they are greatly appreciated.  But, that was not my intention.  My intention was to hope that anyone who reads this will think about what is happening and help to stem off any problems.  Ask, ask, ask.  Advocate, and if needed, transfer to another facility and under the care of another physician.  My friend has months, maybe a year of recovery ahead of him.  Like I said earlier, from 210 pounds to 140 pound in 6 weeks.  Thank you all again.  God Bless you all, and prayers for all those in need.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Anything that tragic deserves our prayers, and I don't think we missed the larger picture of all that can and does go wrong with the medical profession today.  

On yahoo there was a story today of some young lass from GA who cut her leg on a excursion, went to the ER, they stitched her up and when she came back over and over in severe pain, they missed a flesh eating bacterial infection that cost her that leg, amputated to her hip!

24 and now an amputee but for the lack of attention to detail.

None the less, prayers continue for your friend, this girl and for all of us to realize that we cannot just stand by and "respect" doctors... they're way too over worked and need our help to keep them focused at times and OUR insistance on extra effort!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Praying for recovery.

Martin

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
Thank you all again.  Dave, I know how crazy it can be.  Unfortunately, these type of things go on far too often.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
I just buried my father recently, Al, but had I not got up in the varied Doc's face over the past 10 yrs, I'd have buried him a lot, lot sooner!

They sheepishly thank me and say that they, the docs, just can't spend the time in observation that family visitors can!

So why don't they ASK family for input?  

to keep this Traditional, our time afield is short enough in life to risk it to poor medical care so each of us has to advocate for ourselves and for our friends and family in medical situations!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline monsterchelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Prayer sent for your friend
" Out of a mans heart, The issues of life flow"

Black Widow PSR-V
               47# @ 27
              Howard Hill Montana
               50# @ 27

Offline Nosight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Prayers from here.....
Remember...aim small miss small...

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Hope he heals well

thanks for the advice. I think most just assume having a doctor means you're in good hands.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Still praying for your friend. I'm praying for Wisdom, clear thought, openness and recovery. May God guide all next steps.

Martin

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Thank you all again.  He has made some progress.  Far from out of the woods.  Feeding tube still in, no more infection and hasn't had an hallucination in days.  Rehab may start in 2 weeks, if he continues to mend and get stronger.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©