3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schafer  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
Schafer
« on: December 21, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Guys,

I've read a lot of good things on here about Schafer recurves and am thinking of taking the plunge.  However, before I do, I would like hear more thoughts from current Schafer owners or persons who have shot Schafers.  FYI, I currently shoot BW, Palmer, Bob Lee recurves and was wondering if they will be similar in performance/workmanship/grip.  Any information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Moon

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schafer
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
I got my first Schafer a week ago (used from a tradganger) by trading a Dale Dye.  This is probably not enough time to truly evaluate it, but so far I am impressed with it's looks, feel, smoothness, accuracy, etc.  

Maybe all the kudos we hear from their owners have some validity.  I am sure it can shoot right along with the best of them.
Lon Scott

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
I haven't tried a Schafer 'curve yet, but I did have one of the longbows for a while and it was a sweety, just a bit too heavy for me.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Hands down the best I've shot. Trust me I've shot most of them. Very quiet and efficient and you can't beat there service. Beth and Dave are top notch bowyers, while staying humble and personable. I have another one coming in Febuary.
 Give them a shot you won't be dissapointed.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
I own a longbow, and I have a recurve on order. performance, workmanship is outstanding. as good or better than the others you mentioned. One sure thing, Dave Windauer makes the best grip out there, and Beth is    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
I only own one custom bow. It's a Schafer Silvertip!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
I've owned several high end bows and after trying a Schafer I sold all the others and now own a Schafer TD recurve and have one of Dave's new 3 piece Td longbows due in July.Performance, workingmanship and service is OUTSTANDING!!! Beth and Dave are great to deal with. I agree with Alex, Beth is   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
I've got a silvertip. I think it's one of the best bows I've shot. Very accurate and smooth! And has the best grip I've felt on a bow.
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the great info guys.  Anyone else?
Moon

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Moon,

I spent about 5 years trading recurves to find the "right" one for me.  I could never get my hands on a Schafer or Dye, so I went to MT to try them.  NO comparison IMO.  I can't shoot anything else anymore and Dave and Beth are two of the best people anywhere.  

Don't just buy one though...try one out first.  

Just because we think they are the best thing going doesn't mean you will.  I mean, you do like the Widow for goodness sake   :p  (just kidding--Ken Beck and the "new" owners are great folks with a great bow too).  Everybody has their likes and mine are EXACTLY what Dave builds.

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Started out with a one piece longbow and got stupid one time and sold it. Currently have two TD recurves and they are sweet. You won't find a better grip. After the holidays I need to find another Schafer longbow. If anyone has a 1 piece in the 50# to 58#@28" range and interested in selling they can PM me.

Merry Christmas
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
Moon,
I've been through a lot of bows looking for my "Holy Grail". I'm not looking anymore.....
Best grip I've ever had, dead in the hand, shoots where you look and smokes an arrow.

Fred - I just ordered a 3 pce LB on Wednesday....I'm always a couple of months behind you, LOL!!

Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob Walker:
Moon,
I've been through a lot of bows looking for my "Holy Grail". I'm not looking anymore.....
Best grip I've ever had, dead in the hand, shoots where you look and smokes an arrow.

Fred - I just ordered a 3 pce LB on Wednesday....I'm always a couple of months behind you, LOL!!

That bow and yard looks familiar..................   :cool:

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
Hey Tim!
If you find any more of those trashy things lying around that you want to get rid of, just give me a call...Just remember that I shoot the girlie weights, LOL! Take care, bud...
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob Walker:
Hey Tim!
If you find any more of those trashy things lying around that you want to get rid of, just give me a call...Just remember that I shoot the girlie weights, LOL! Take care, bud...
You got it Brother!

Glad she is taking care of you......

Have a Merry Christmas.........

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
When I began shooting a trad bow, I had a Martin Mountaineer, then purchased a Black Widow MAIII. Shot the widow for a few years but then wanted to find what fit me best. I tried a Robertson Vision Falcon, a Blacktail Elite and a Schafer TD recurve.

As soon as I had the Schafer in my hand I knew this was it. The best grip of any bow I have tried. Smooth draw, surprising speed for such a smooth draw, shoots where you look, very quiet and dead in the hand after the shot.

The Windauer's are the sort of people we should all be proud to call friends. Service above and beyond what is required.

They offer a test drive program, try one and make sure you have the deposit funds ready to send out.

If someone will post a photo for me I will send the pic of the lineup of bows I tried, had them all at once, a great way to try them out.

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eric in FLA:
When I began shooting a trad bow, I had a Martin Mountaineer, then purchased a Black Widow MAIII. Shot the widow for a few years but then wanted to find what fit me best. I tried a Robertson Vision Falcon, a Blacktail Elite and a Schafer TD recurve.

As soon as I had the Schafer in my hand I knew this was it. The best grip of any bow I have tried. Smooth draw, surprising speed for such a smooth draw, shoots where you look, very quiet and dead in the hand after the shot.

The Windauer's are the sort of people we should all be proud to call friends. Service above and beyond what is required.

They offer a test drive program, try one and make sure you have the deposit funds ready to send out.

If someone will post a photo for me I will send the pic of the lineup of bows I tried, had them all at once, a great way to try them out.
I can post the image for you.......

Mail it to [email protected]

Offline Flint Head

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
They will make you a more accurate shooter than you really are... SHHHHHH! don't tell the guys I shoot with...  :p

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
I must say that I will have a brand new Silvertip in about 2 weeks.  I could have it sooner, but I will be visiting family over the holidays.

When I did the test drive, I could not believe the speed of the bow compared to how smooth the draw was.  I have not shot other top-end bows like Border, Morrison, BW, Habu, etc. For me, it only took about 10 minutes of shooting the Silvertip to know that I wanted this bow!

Beth and Dave are great people to work with, and once I kill some elk, moose, caribou, muleys, whitetails, and other stuff with mine, I will let you know just how great this bow is.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Hey Bob, That's one sweet looking "tip" you've got there....love them skins!!  What woods you getting in your LB?  Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©