3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schafer  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schafer
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Fred,
I think I'm gonna have Dave do it to match the curve. How about you?

Bob
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Mine's gonna be 60" 53#@27"  Rosewood dymondwood riser with accent stripe and koa limbs with sheep horn nocks and checkered grip. Beth sent me some pics of a recurve with this combo and it was a beauty!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
well, as a member of the schafer fan club i might as well chime in here....

my schafer is without question my "go to" bow. i consistantly shoot it the best and it is everything you could ask for in a hunting bow and more. for me, it instills confidence and that is the name of the game.

IMO the windauer's run a FIRST CLASS operation and dave is one of the best, if not the best, bowyers in the world. the schafer silvertip is a time tested proven performer and a thing of beauty.

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
I have two bows,a 62' 70@29 and a 60" 65@29 and 75@29 both are Silvertips. One is custom and one is used. I have not shot them all or even a few of them. But Tips are the best. The two I have will not be the last either,much to my wifes chagrin.   :bigsmyl:
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
I am going to chime in and agree with all the statements above. The Silvertip curve is my go to bow. If I were leaving on a Elk hunt first thing in the morning, my Silvertip would be the bow of choice. I am the trad ganger that Blackhawk traded his Dye for my back up Silvertip. No regrets by the way, the Dye is incredible and I have been after one for a few years-It is a keeper. I have owned nearly a dozen Palmers over the last 2 years and they have all been sold. I am down to my Silvertip curve, my newly acquired Dye and my recently received ACS CX. Dave and Beth are the best and so are there bows. I have also owned Dave's longbow, just recently sold to finance his newly released 3 pc t/d longbow. I have never read any negative press about there bows-That in itself is impressive.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
For Eric In Fla..........

That is a sharp Rosewood Tip by the way..........

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
Oooooooo, that is a nice little stable there...

Widow, Tip, Robertson, and Blacktail?

I tried all those too-kept the Rosewood one   :D

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Tim,
Thanks for the help. A 62" MAIII that was adopted and moved to Colorado; The Schafer demo bow, a 62" 58#@28 cocobolo riser; a 60" 60#@28 Robertson and a 60" Blacktail. All were nice but for me the Schafer was it. All but the Schafer were FF.

So Moon, try as many as you can, go with what fits you best. Unlike wives you can trade or sell bows with little cost. The Windauers are great people and will treat you right. Should you purchase a Schafer and decide not to keep it, use this thread as a mailing list for prospective buyers.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with a Silvertip.  Smooth drawing and stable.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
I currently have 2 silvertips and 1 silverghost. I just picked up another tip on here and it is hands down my best shooting bow. Everyone is right on about trying a number of different bows. My first recurve was a widow and I thought this was the best but kept trying new bows and once I shot the silvertip I have pretty much stayed with it. I must confess though that my go to bow has been my old Bear takedown, not becouse it shoots better but for sentimental reasons.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
If you were to paint all bows black I don’t think I could tell the difference between any of them. I think I could shoot any bow and within a short amount of time be shooting as well as I ever have or near to it. That’s not to say I can shoot any bow great far from it but when you use a bow for close up work there doesn’t seem to be that much difference once you get the feel of a particular bow.
   Having said all that I enjoy shooting my Schafer and think it is a beautiful piece of work  made  by very nice people probably why I bought it.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Rico ole buddy, just curious how long have you been shooting? Because I sure as heck could tell, there bows and then there are bows ...   :)    Schafer and Dye's mention are some of my favs...mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
Only since '74 shot pearson,redwings,browning,bear,howatts,bw,bighorn,schafer and probably afew I have forgot
 Why did I say something wrong? Nothing aganinst any of them how is anyone better than the others I haven't noticed, they feel different in the hand because of the grip right now I am shooting a schafer nice bow, if I was to switch to some other bow for awhile and switch back the schafer would feel change for awhile. I haven't found a bow that I can say has made me a better shooter

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Tim,

I had a chance to shoot Bob Walker's tip pictured in this thread while we were on our
" Lackaboo " Caribou Hunt in September...I can tell you it's hands down the hottest, sweetest shooting bow I've ever handled...and it feels about 5 to 7 lbs lighter than its marked too.

When it slammed the arrow THROUGH a foam block I was convinced..if Bob ever gets tired of that bow it has a permanent home at my house that's for sure.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
Tim,

I had a chance to shoot Bob Walker's tip pictured in this thread while we were on our
" Lackaboo " Caribou Hunt in September...I can tell you it's hands down the hottest, sweetest shooting bow I've ever handled...and it feels about 5 to 7 lbs lighter than its marked too.

When it slammed the arrow THROUGH a foam block I was convinced..if Bob ever gets tired of that bow it has a permanent home at my house that's for sure.
Hey Ray.........

Yep that is a really nice Tip. Only reason I sold it was I have the identical bow in  a heavier weight in a 60" version. That bow was a little light for me is all. I agree that it really didn't pull like 70lbs either. I should add it got a good home!

Merry Christmas also Ray and everyone else!

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
I have 2 silvertips...smoothness is quite unbelivable...I have widows, morrisons, robertsons and many others too but those are really the bests...the speed level is quite good too...however the riser is not the best I know for the torque control, that's the only little restriction I could make.

Offline redblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
i just got my silvertip back in october and likewise i will never own another bow iam sure. Just simply loved it from the very first shot. dave and beth are definatly just great people. Hope you get one and enjoy as much as i have.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
get one, and IMO get a FF model

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
I can tell you my brother David loves the used one he bought at Comptons this past year. I know value is a relative thing, but before he left the rendezvous that weekend, he was offered $300 over what he just paid for the bow one day earlier! He is so glad he did not sell it. Confidence comes in strange packages, and his came in that red Schafer bow. He took this great buck with it in November. Mike

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
You know, I should have at least got a steak from that deer for finding him that bow...  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©