INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Rotator repair scheduled March 7th...some encouraging words please!  (Read 1867 times)

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
Have put it off as long as I can...just can't take it no more! :bigsmyl:
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rotator repair scheduled March 7th...some encouraging words please!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Prayers go up for you my friend

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
Had mine fixed about 20 years ago or so and within about 8 months it was better than I could ever have imagined it would be. It takes time to heal and get your strength back but a year from now you will be very glad you had it done. Be patient and do your physical therapy.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
smokin joe hit the nail on the head! Your recovery will be directly proportional to the seriousness of your physical therapy. My prayers go out to you. Good luck and God Bless.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
I honestly wish you and your surgery smooth sailing. I have heard that not cheating on your physical therapy is a HUGE DEAL just as smokin joe stated. Best of luck. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
Had mine done 12-12-12. Repaired three tears, bicep relocation and ground down the spurs. I'm shooting my bow daily now and just cannot believe how nice it is to be pain free.

Best advice I can offer is do the exercises your MD asks you to do immediately after the surgery and same for when you get to the physical therapy deal. Days 2-7 after the surgery you're going to wonder what in the world you were thinking by having it done but be patient, follow the MD and PT's advice to a T and you'll be better than what you've known to be normal in no time at all.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!    :thumbsup:

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Keep your expectations realistic.  You may be shooting a more normal weight sometime around November, possibly sooner if you well quickly.  As you'll find out, your shoulder will be immoble for weeks, limited motion for more weeks, therapy for more weeks.  After about 5-6 months, you should be feeling much better and sleeping on that side more comfortably.  The shape/structure of your shoulder may change some but don't freak about it; as long as you work it when they say you can, you should get most all the strength back.  Had mine done in Sept. 2011 & it took until April 2012 till I could shoot a light bow.  Good luck,
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline Jack Rehacek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
X2 What Ibow said.I had mine done last May.It feels great.DONT rush ,its very easy to reinjure your shoulder.I aint going to lye,It sucks at first I had a hard time sleeping(had to sleep in a recliner).At the time I swore I wouldnt ever do it again,But looking back its the best thing I could have done.The worst thing was the giving of the nerve block(they stick a needle down into your shoulder until they hit a certain nerve) I called that dude every thing but a white man and had everything I could do not to get up out of the bed and get him.Good Luck with yours.Your going to here guys saying I have had 3 or 4 done no big deal I was shooting my bow within 2 months,I wonder why you keep having to get them done so many times.DONT BE THAT GUY.

Offline markliep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
Have had a lot of sports injuries over the years & am still going - less intense than before but still going & finding new challenges - the odds are good that it'll not be as bad as you think - what's worked for me is to always have more than one thing to work on, that way you can focus on going somewhere instead of fixating on where you were - good luck -M

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Just do what theey doc says and go to your physical therapy.  My dad has had both shoulder torn and fixed. For the most part he has no issues but shooting his bow does bother him a little with the draw weight goes above 55#
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Hey ! That's my birthday! Good luck and Git'r done!!  :archer2:  , soon.

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
just got back from getting mine done this morning.Block hasn't wore off yet.Do what they tell you to do and it will get well. Don

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Good luck mate. Read below...
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I tore mine in half years ago. My choices were surgery or never be able to lift my arm above my head.

I went under the knife and it is a strong as ever. You must do the therapy and the exercises they tell you to do at home.

Advances in Orthopedic surgery have been huge, I have no doubts you get excellent care.

All the best to you... I know exactly what you're going through. You've made the right decision to get your shoulder corrected. Your quality of life will be better... it is worth it.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Rob you want me to come over and exercise your bows for ya?     :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I had a severe tear in my labrum and my shoulder was loose had surgery jan10th. Dr says I can shoot around the end of march.

Baby that thing, good luck and wish you a fast recovery, mine is going great, the 1st month sucks.

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Wow!!!   :scared:   I want to thank all my T.G. buds for the encouraging words! It appears I am not alone! I will definitely follow my DR.'s orders!
And Rick...if it'll help scratch that "itch" of yours...you are more than welcome to come and keep my bows in shape! I can hold the arrows for ya!    :knothead:    lol
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
I tore my shoulders up for decades in various sports before my arm became so loose in my right shoulder socket that it was dislocating on a regular basis. I should have done the surgery earlier, because all that rattling around caused me to have level 3 arthritis in the joint, along with all the tears, spurs, etc. I had to get my bicep tendon repaired, two places in my labrum sewn up, rotator cuff repaired, 1/4" of my clavical cut off, and my ball and socket laser smoothed. The doctor did a great job, but I still have some pain in my shoulder every day, especially if I shoot my heavier bows or do something else that works my shoulder hard. The good part is that I can shoot my bows and do most other things that I could do 20 years ago with my shoulders, despite the discomfort. I'm 60 years old, so lots of things hurt on a daily basis. I finally reached the age where I can repeat that adage, "If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Many others here have offered good advise. Don't put deadlines on your recovery. Just follow the instructions of the professional health care providers and let your body heal at its own pace.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
Good Gravy Miss Navy!! Allan...thanks for the input! No doubt you, as well as all my other supporters, are true "warriors".   :notworthy:
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Many of us have been there, done that and got Tshirts!

You either follow all the advice to heed limitations and do what you can, all that you can, or you'll pay premiums for it.

I hounded my surgeon to let me worry about pain that was discomfort and that HE take responsibility for ensuring I knew what pain was likely to create more damage... once that line was clear, you can push inside the discomfort sources, but never...never peek over the line at the damage restrictions!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©