3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips on cresting carbons?  (Read 308 times)

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips on cresting carbons?
« on: December 21, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Hey all,

I am planning ahead on capping/cresting a set of carbons as a gift for my brother in law.  I have been reading old posts here for the past hour and have one unanswered question.

What do you use to clean the shafts before capping/cresting?  I was planning on using the Bohning SSR but wondered if there is a better (and possibly cheaper) alternative.  

Your thoughts?

-- John
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips on cresting carbons?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
I usually scuff the end lightly with steel wool or very fine grit paper, then wipe clean with acetone.  I mask it, spray the cap and crest it with an electric drill.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
I lightly Scuff with Steel Wool, and Use Rubbing Alcohol, My Crest Is done with Spray Paint, even the Flames... and One coat of Clear Spray, The Paint has never Chipped Or Flaked Unless I scrape it to remove a feather, then it looks even Nicer

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I'm stubborn.  I don't try finding other alternatives, simply because the system I use works so well - Bohning SSR, Bohning stain (on woodies), Bohning cresting lacquer, Bohning dipping lacquer, Bohning thinner, Fletch Tape, Bohning Fletch-Tite Platinum on the ends.  I don't substitute anything, and the system has worked flawlessly for me.

I know there are ways to save a bit of money, but it just works well to go with a proven system for me.

All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
after many attempts at using everything from sandpaper, to acetone, to 91%alcohol, i now use the bohning ssr and it works better than anything else i have tried. and one bottle will probably last you for 10 doz arrows .

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
For what its worth, I have been using regular Comet powder cleanser.

Get a paper towel wet, sprinkle a little comet in a line in the towel, re-moisten the comet, and wrap the shaft in the towel full of comet and scrub. It is somewhat abrasive, and seems to clean
the surface of the shaft very well. Once I have scrubbed the shaft very good, I rinse the shaft and wipe it dry with a clean paper towel.

Never had a problem with Bohning paints sticking.
Many of my Carbonwood shafts have been in service for several years, wearing the original white dip.

I was always worried about harsh acetone type solvents attacking the integrity of the shaft.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
I use drywall sanding mesh, wipe down with alcohol, spray paint cap then mask for "cresting".
Haven't sealed any of them with clear yet, if  wanna change colors ; I start over..
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I believe  CX recommends denatured alcohol.  its what I usually use (mostly cause I have it on hand)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
I use the denatured alcohol and then let air dry, the mask off for the crown  area, dip and hang on a line to dry.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©