3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone hunt with sight pins on their trad bows?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone hunt with sight pins on their trad bows?
« on: December 22, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Just wondering. Is this more accurate or what?

Thanks for the opinions.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone hunt with sight pins on their trad bows?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
I do not, however the gentleman that first got me interested in trad archery put some on a Martin recurve that he had.  He tried them for about a month and just did not like it.  He went back to instinctive because he said that when he missed he only had himself to blame instead of a sight.  Not much information but just thought i'd throw it out there.  I say try it if it interest you, you can always go back to barebow!
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Sights were used a lot back in the 40s, 50s and even 60s.  At known distances, they will enable most folks to shoot more accurately than without sights.  Under hunting situations, they're usually slower to put into action, and hunters in the heat of the moment often pick the wrong pin or have to gap between pins on multiple pin sights.  Either can cause a miss or bad hit.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
For my old PMH I do use a pin. It takes time to get used to, but it is deadly accurate.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
Anyone that puts sights on a recurve or longbow gives up the right to say they are a traditional archer and should have their bow cut into 50 small pieces
Really..........Anyone that opinionated around my neck of the woods usually gets a slap!   :p
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
I don;t know,but my bow had sights on it before I owned it.The bow is about 50 years old.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
OH NO! What is gonna happen here?

Well, I know a fella that tried one sight pin on his recurve bow for hunting. Kept his shots within ten yards and made out O.K.. Point being he did not spend alot (or enough) time on the practice range and felt a sight would make up for that.

For me... I'll say away from sights... Maybe I'll draw cross hairs on my eyeglasses...  :D  ...

... mike ...  :wavey:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Instinctor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
In the 60's before the "new wave" traditional archery most everybody at least tried a sight on their bow. That is why so many of the older recurves have holes drilled somewhere in the riser.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
I think I will play around with a pin or two next summer. I have my first bow a Ben Pearson Colt I had 40 years ago. I may see what happens...

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:

Originally posted by killinstuff:
Anyone that puts sights on a recurve or longbow gives up the right to say they are a traditional archer and should have their bow cut into 50 small pieces
Really..........Anyone that opinionated around my neck of the woods usually gets a slap!    :p  [/b]
Same around here this side of the pond.

Steve

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
I don't know about a pin, but a number of folks were using the DAS sight.  Here's a photo of "Trashwood" and his:

I lifted the photo from this thread about the DAS sight:  (good info here)

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=038330

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Killinstuff, sometimes its hard to determine what a fella means by a post in a forum, obviously part of your above post was rather 'tongue in cheek'.  However, I would recommend that you read a thread posted by George D. Stout back in November that addressed this very subject.

"Traditional:  Misunderstanding What Was"

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=052684

You may find it rather enlightening.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Thanks GrayRhino, I read the thread. At what point then does traditional become nontraditional is what I want to know? This thread is not the place to adress that question so maybe a new one should be started.
lll

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
As far as Trad Gang is concerned....bows with wheels and cables are not Trad Bowhunting.  We've made it real simple here, so its easy to stay civil.

Now there's no need for another thread.    :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
I have seen a lot of older 'curves with sights on them. I have an AMF Hawk that was my Dad's, and I inherited it with a brass crosshair-type pin.
I personally dont use pins on my trad bows.  Years as a wheelie hunter, I dont even know how many deer I missed using the wrong one.
I think that the use of pins is fine. It is just a way for SOME to ensure accuracy....accuracy leads to better shots.....quicker kills...Etc Etc.
I think what ever any person has to do in order to feel comfortable taking shots at live animals is fine.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
A recurve or a longbow is trad! Whether it has sights or not!  ;)  People have been using sights on them for decades.....
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
I'll leave my opinion out of this one since my wife keeps telling me I need to lighten up.  She's probably right!  :rolleyes:

I'd say sighting is probably the least of problems for most shooting traditional.  Putting a sight on your bow may give you better accuracy on targets, but it will not cure what ails ya' in the woods.    

I believe Trashwood put the SRF sight on because he was having trouble seeing enough to focus.  That's where a sight can help and the SRF sight is probably the best type for hunting.

They can be used to help check aspects of your form too, however, you typically will not use the same shooting style with a sight as you will shooting barebow.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Almost everything posted on these sites are nothing but opinions so there's no shame in framing responses as such...except where the site itself might dropkick what you say from the 10th floor window, never to be seen again.  Gee I hate when that happens...   :)

But there's good discussion potential in the topic.  My own opinion is that using sights make perfect sense if the primary goal is precise, accurate shooting but they don't pass my self-imposed straight-face test for traditional gear.  I've used them and they do help accuracy if your form is good.  I may use them again for targets, but when I want to 'go trad' the sights stay off the bow.  Thats simply what makes sense to me.  You should make your own call on what makes sense for you.

Offline Dick4bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Pins on a recurve or longbow can really help someone with a dominant eye conflict. So many traditional archers gap shoot.  Isn't this a sight?  In the end, it's what ever the archer feels is right for them.
                                  Dick

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
I don't gap shoot, but I sure don't see it the same as a sight pin. Two totally different aiming methods....and one has a pin on the bow and one doesn't ....so that's not the same either IMO.

Good post TSP.

"Almost everything posted on these sites are nothing but opinions so there's no shame in framing responses as such..."  Yep, long as it is done so respectfully.

"except where the site itself might dropkick what you say from the 10th floor window, never to be seen again. Gee I hate when that happens..."  Yep, and we also hate it when that happens believe it or not.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©