Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Avoiding string jump...  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Benton

• Trad Bowhunter
Avoiding string jump...
« on: January 15, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
I'm going to RSA this Summer, and am worried about string jumpers.

Do they ever jump the arrow in flight, or is it always the sound of the bow?

Could vanes on a shelf help minimize the problem?

Does anyone try to sacrifice some weight for speed to aid against jumpers?

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Avoiding string jump...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 04:17:00 PM »
Really interesting questions. Hope you will get some good answers.
Personally I dont think extra speed will do anything else than making the bow louder.
Could be really interesting to hear experienced africa hunters if they think the animals can jump the arrow sound/noise itself !?

Jacob

- Aim low -

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »
The animals do jump at the sound of the bow. You aren't going to get enough extra speed to do any good, even the fastest cam bows still shoot at less than a third of the speed of sound. You are much better off to shoot a quiet bow and only shoot at unalerted animals. Rick

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 09:55:00 PM »
I agree with Rick.

I had the noise of the arrow drawing across the side plate spook a waterbuck one time. Tons of dust over there. Had a smooth leather plate and switching to hair eliminated the noise.

Also wouldn't use fletching that screams in flight.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 09:42:00 PM »
Ditto what Rick said.

I've both seen, and have experienced for myself, numerous times, African animals 'jump the string' at ranges as close as 10 yards ... and 'jump' so badly that they were SEVERAL feet away by the time the arrow arrived - and from set-up giving as much as 300+ fps set-up at that!  That doesn't even include those that merely manage to 'duck the arrow' or change position significantly before it arrives (which is one reason I'm so big on equipment that maxamizes arrow penetration and broadhead performance when the shot doesn't hit where it was supposed to!)

Some of the smaller animals, like impala, warthogs, bushbucks, duikers, etcetera - (all 'favored tid-bits' among African "meat lovers") - are especially notorious.  Bow/arrow speed can not make up for a lack of 'quiet'.  I've had my best luck with my longbows (and I have, and do, hunt with all types of bows) ... simply because thay are the most silent ... and I do ALL I can to make them that way.

I like to take shots, especially on the 'higher-strung' animals, when they are both relaxed AND occupied ... eating, taking a step, walking along, etcetera.

If one hunts at, or near, water holes, remember that the 'wild' African animals will be VERY ALERT approaching, while at, and while departing water holes.  Their 'local pub' is a favorite ambush spot for the predators ... and every WILD, bush-wise, re-hydrating herbivore KNOWS that drinking really CAN be hazordous to their health!

In my experiences, this "entering the biker bar behavior" is not nearly as prevelent on the "game ranch hunts" - which are becoming ever more common as 'wild Africa' rapidly disappears into history - where generations of animals have now lived without the constant LIKELYHOOD of finding some big 'ol hungry meat eat'n critter waiting there for its fast food delivery to arrive!

To some degree, it depends on where in Africa one chooses to hunt as to how, or to what degree, the animals will react.  The 'city critters' get just like people ... contented, lazy and complacent ... but even a few of these still seem to remember a little about "how things use to be".  They must'o been listening to at least SOME of their grandpaw's stories 'bout the "good'ol days"!!   :D  

Ed

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 12:06:00 PM »
We hunted RSA in 03 and after 30 years of bowhunting I learned that African game wrote the book on string jumping. We hunted a couple of days ahead of a gang of compounders and when we told the stories of the string jumpers we were met with smirks and assurances that nothing can outrun their screaming bow's. Well, I must admit just a bit of "I told you so" when they all returned with their heads hung. I have a video of an Impala that swaps ends and then leaves before my arrow could reach him. All at 10 yard's! It really is hard to believe. No animal on earth is more nervous than one walking into an African water hole.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©