Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Minimum draw length/weigth  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Charlie - SA

• Trad Bowhunter
Minimum draw length/weigth
« on: January 24, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »
What is a reasonable minimum draw length/draw weight for going after African plains game?

Charlie - SA

Offline Charlie - SA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Minimum draw length/weigth
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »
I'll make the above question more specific, at a 27" draw what is a reasonable minimum draw weight with a 10-12 grains per pound arrow and Griz head?
Anyone been there and used/seen setups they can comment on?  :help:  

Mucho Thanks,

Charlie - SA

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 12:35:00 PM »
That's not an easy question.  Probably the best way to answer it is to tell you to shoot HEAVY arrows and the most poundage you can handle comfortably...and ACCURATELY!  

I would recommend arrows weighing at least 600 grains.  I would recommend at least 60 pounds of draw weight.  If you can shoot 70 pounds accurately, then do it.

I shoot 70 pounds at 26".  My footed Hexi-Shafts weigh 627 grains with 145 gr. Magnus attached.  This is the combination I have shot for years and I get great penetration.  That bow weight is perfect for me and I can shoot all day with it.

We had a gal with us on one hunt who shot 650 grain arrows out of a 55# Texas Recurve.  She took 14 animals without a lost critter!  It's what you can draw comfortably and shoot well.  The heavy arrow is really the most important item.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Charlie - SA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 06:57:00 AM »
Thanks.  It looks like a reasonable setup would be a 600-700 grain arrow with around 40 ft/lbs of KE.

Charlie - SA

Offline Twang at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »
I had two sets of limbs for my bow, 67 and 54# at my draw.

I have to admit that I shoot the 54# better and wound up wounding a kudu and spooking another when I had to let down with the heavier limbs.

The 54#'s did an number on an eland, impala, warthog and kudu, and IMO are perfectly adequate for anything over there except of course the big 5/6 and giraffe.  

However, I would say you need to use a 2-bladed head with the lighter wts., I recommend the grizzly and learn to sharpen them well.
Twang[/i]

Offline Charlie - SA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
Thanks again  :)  

Charlie - SA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©