Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Tips, Gratuities, Gifts for PH and Staff  (Read 1597 times)

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips, Gratuities, Gifts for PH and Staff
« on: January 31, 2004, 09:53:00 AM »
Looking for suggestions on tips, gifts etc. for camp staff and PH. Have heard some mention 10% of daily rate as tip for PH if he does a good job. Heard it was a custom to give your PH a knife for your first kill? Do the skinners and trackers get tired of receiving knives from everyone? Other suggestions for staff and PH appreciated.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips, Gratuities, Gifts for PH and Staff
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »
Wayne,

Most PH's have more knives than they need. If they do good job $200.00 to
$300.00 U.S. seems about average for most plainsgame hunts. I always like to give PH gift as well, something new that they may not have seen as of yet perhaps one of new surfire flashlights and supply of batteries. As for trackers, skinners and camp staff some ideas - t shirts, baseball hats and cheaper digital watches. Another thing I always do for camp staff is ask PH to stop at local grocery store on one of your visits to town and buy them luxury items such as snacks, sugar, flour these are food items that they can not always aford and it will cost you very little.

Happy Hunting
Dave Stinson
Ontario
hunt it

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »
Thanks Dave, Like the idea of the trip to the grocery store.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 01:14:00 PM »
Here's what I do in Africa.  First off, my "Outfitter", who actually owns the ranch, will not accept tips.  That may or may not be standard.  I have asked and he says that since he is the owner, it ain't done.

I seek his advice on tipping and he adds it right to my bill.  The exception I make is that, since I know my tracker personally now, and the camp manager/chef, I tip them in cash.  And...I tip them more than the outfitter says is standard.  If I have a PH with me, I also tip him seperately, but most times, I am alone, or with a tracker.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Twang at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
I'd say give those trackers and camp staff MONEY.

Either Rands or Dollars, it doesn't seem to matter, but they have needs more basic than another flashlight or a cap.

JMHO.
Twang[/i]

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »
American hunters are no longer a novelty in Africa. The trackers and staff at most places simply want money. Ask the outfitter and they will give you guidelines for tipping. We were advised as follows on a recent trip to RSA. The PH got around 150-200 bucks. A tracker should get around 100 bucks. If you get a tracker like I had with Ken Moody you will not flinch at this price. These guys are simply awesome.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©