Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Trip planning tips to Africa  (Read 1656 times)

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
Trip planning tips to Africa
« on: February 04, 2004, 03:09:00 PM »
I guess my first question is do you need a Visa? Is your passport enough? I want to go someday and know these trips take time to plan so i thought I would start gathering tips from you guys.

I got the Visa thing from Bob Mungers book "Trailing a Bear" were he discusses a trip to Africa that he went on with Fred Bear.  In that book he mentioned getting shots, Passport and Visa.
Thanks,
Bill
Aim Small

Offline Tom Lagatol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trip planning tips to Africa
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 03:35:00 PM »
Bill, there's a couple ways to approach your question. One way is simply to find the outfitter you're intending to book with and he'll certainly have all the info you need. The US Dept of Health and the US State Dept both have web pages that you can get info regarding immunization as well as "country conditions". Meaning, some countries in Africa aren't conducive to good health and longevity due to their civil unrest etc.

It's always good to discuss these things with someone who has made a couple trips, as well as the outfitter...ask for references of both those who have had successful hunts and unsuccessful hunts.  Good Luck TomL

Offline crane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 06:34:00 PM »
Bill- You might check the Accurate Reloading Forum. In the Africa hunting reports section there is a great guide/list put together by one of the moderators there.The format of the site is like this one.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 07:18:00 PM »
I always keep my passport up and take it even when I don't need it, like Canada and I have them stamp it at the border, caming and going. When you retire it after ten years, you have a record of where and when you have been. You do not need a visa to South Africa anymore, it was a big deal the first time I went there in the late 70's. The other countries in Africa, I don't know about and they are subject to change. You can go to the CDC website and they will be able to tell you what health precautions they recommend for the area you are going to. They can also direct you to a local travel clinic. Rick

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the pointers. I thought I might go to the same place Denny S, Ken Beck and G. Fred went.  I read in Mungers book where it mentioned he had to get a Visa. I have a passport and go to Mexico and Canada on business trips and I feel a little dumb because I don't really know what a Visa is. I know it is probably a permission slip or a form so that a country knows who you are, where you came from and why you are there.  I just don't know where the heck you would get one. Probably an African Consulate or something.  In today’s travel age I would think all you would need is a passport and while on the plane fill out an immigration and customs form.  That is what you do when traveling by plane to Mexico and Canada.  It’s very easy that way. A Visa seems old fashioned. I don't know how many have read Fred Bears tales of his hunts but after reading 3 different books about him and his pals traveling all over I have the bug to try these exotic places.  Alaska is first then Africa.
Thanks,
Bill
Aim Small

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 11:18:00 PM »
Yup, a travel visa is permission to visit a country and allow various activities. Depending on where you go, they describe the dates you may stay, whether you may have multiple entries, whether you are student or can be employed. They generally do come from the countries consulates and you have to appear in person or have someone with a limited power of attorney appear for you. Travel agents usually have all the info or you can contact one of the visa agencies who do this for a fee over the internet. I go to Australia every year and I get an "eta" myself from the government website, that is an "electronic travel authority", essentially an electronic visa, it allows me to visit as many times as I want for one year, they I have to get a new one. The US/Canadian border is the longest unprotected border in the world, most of the world isn't like North America. Rick

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »
I've been ten times and am heading back to both Namibia and South Africa in July.  At this time, neither country requires a Visa...just a valid passport.

If you want a list of equipment/clothing that I have put together, just email me at [email protected]  (I did NOT pick that email address....my wise a** kid did!!!)  I would never m-m-m-m-iss.  I can't even SAY m-m-m-m-miss!  

It's the greatest hunt you can ever have and the only bug you need to worry about is the "Africa Bug".  Once it bites you, you will want to keep going back.

Too Short (Paul Brunner)
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©