Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: first trip  (Read 2642 times)

Offline ark.recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
first trip
« on: March 04, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »
where is everbody at? just found this site the other nite and know new post since. I am booked for hunt in July 05. any good advice? I will be going to SA. Driesvisser safari.It will be my first African trip.

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first trip
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »
Be ready to lose your heart to Africa!  I first went in 1978 and they hadn't ever seen a bowhunter where we hunted.  Greater Kuduland Safaris was the name of the outfit.  Peter Knott was the P.H.  This summer we go for our 11th trip there and his son, Howard, is now the P.H.  I will keep going back until I can't hunt anymore.

You can email me for a list of clothing, gear, etc.  I'd be happy to send it along.  You can ask any questions you might like to ask.  You need to know about Warthog and Impala jumping the string, for one thing.  I don't know your outfitter, but I have heard the name.

Too Short  ([email protected])
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »
Paul,

Dries Visser Safaris is the outfit that Gene W. goes with alot.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline ark.recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »
Paul thanks for the advice on warthog jumping the string. Did not think they were that bad until your post, so I watched a vidio a little closer, even seen them drop a little while they were down on ther knees. I knew Impala were a bundle of nerves, what about water buck?

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 11:56:00 AM »
Sorry I haven't gotten back here sooner, Ark-recurve.  

Here's what I have noticed.  The larger animals are no where near as jumpy.  Doing pure guess work, I'd say it's a combination of two things: animals with larger bodies can't move quite as fast as wee animals, and they aren't quite as nervous about predators, because there are fewer predators big enough to kill them.  

Impala have to worry about EVERY meat eater, from Python, to Jackal, to Leopard.  A Kudu, Gemsbok, or Waterbuck only has to worry about Lion and possibly Leopard.

That's my take on it.

Too Short

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 07:38:00 AM »
I was hunting with Too Short a couple years ago and near dark, I had 11 large animals at the water hole, kudu, a sable etc., all of a sudden they all looked in the same direction and exploded out of there, I got a bit excited expecting to have a whole pride of lions or such show up, insted up trots a 25# jackel! (Incidentely, I have his hide right here)
So even relatively big animals are jumpy. Rick

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »
Jim you are going to have the time of your life, hunted with Wensel last year out of Vissers SA camp for two weeks, unbelievable. Everything was jumpy when they first came in, take your time and let the waterhole settle down, they have the blinds set up for nice close shots, and stalking is available just let them know your plans. Impala  and warthogs are always on nsuper alert and can react to a shot like no ones business. take plenty of film you are going to be looking for ways to go back. Currently trying to figure out how to get back myself, Visser is developing an operation in Botswana and would love to split a trip between the two countries. good luck and let us know how it went.
Like your Freedom.....Thank a VET.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 03:27:00 PM »
Man! Im all ears...that sounds like a hunt Id love...mark#78....what pound bows did yall shoot....????
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 03:48:00 PM »
Mark I hunted with Widow takedowns  took 2 and only unpacked 1, both were 60lbs at my draw lenght. Spent 2-3 years messing with arrow combinations and finally settled on carbons because of the samll diameter. Weighted them up with the wht tubes(3 gr. per inch that is wrapped with knitting tread to make the fit tight and to keep the vibrations down, added weight forward and used 2 blade magnus heads, end result was a 600 gr. finished arrow, used white/flo tip so I could see the placement. Shot everything tight to the shoulder and was happy with the results, everything dies hard there, one lung hits at home usually no problem over there buckle up its going to be a long tracking job. Saved 3 years for the trip and it was worth every penny. make sure you plan a trip for touring/photo site seeing etc. Our 2 week hunt with the at on trips was 3 weeks i will never forget. Gene hooked up our trip and did a great job and made the process less worriesome because we knew someone we could trust had been three sciped out things and made sure the PH and outfitters understood our needs and limitations. ie I like them close..... Hope this helps.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »
Ark.recurve:
Looks like we will be at Vissers the same time as you. My wife and I will be there with Biggie and Jill Hoffman, Marty and Ruth ann McMann, and Gene and Donna Wensel. Will be looking forward to meeting you.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline ark.recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »
aromakr What weeks of July will you be there? I should be there the first two weeks. I'm really looking forward to it. Should be a blast.
   Iron/mtn I'm glad you had a good time. Are you in the video of last year hunts? I will be shooting a blackwidow also. I will be going over early and taking a tour thru Kruger park, should help with the jet lag.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »
We leave Atlanta on June 30 do three days in Cape Town then one and one half or two days in Kruger then to Dries for 10 days. Should be there the same time as you.  :bigsmyl:  
aromakr

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »
You got the wrong year Bob. Arkansas Recurve isn't scheduled until 2005. There will be nothing to shoot but leftovers by the time he gets there :>)

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »
Ark recurve & Uncle Gene:
Its called a senior moment!!! You all will get there someday. didn't see the 2005. hope that won't effect my seeing that monster Diker with the 6" horns???

Offline ark.recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »
Gene Just be sure those leftovers are bigger than what Steve got last year. I seen his the other day, pretty impressive!!

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »
Steve chokes on all the big ones. Don't translate that the wrong way!

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »
Awww, Gene...

You are getting sicker and gnarlier in your old age!  You ought to email me about my Water Buff hunt in Oz.  I just got back and it was awesome!

Your little buddy, Too Short

Offline Idahoeyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »
Paul,
You can't post a reply like that without sharing the details with all of us!  "[dntthnk]"

Offline ark.recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 12:32:00 AM »
for real Paul we all would like to here about your hunt in OZ.

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »
Jim I am in one segement of the visser video(not a big fan of videos that just show shot after shot etc, )that the PH shot while babysitting me one day looking for kudu, after that I asked if we could not worry about the video captures and I was pretty much on my own, I give myself enough pressure without half the world watching....you will love kruger make sure you take a good camera and learn how to use it, shot over 1700 images during the 3 weeks between kruger and the hunt. Have a great time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©