Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Booked My First Safari  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Patrick Bischoff

• Trad Bowhunter
Booked My First Safari
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:09:00 PM »
I have dreamed of hunting Africa since I was a kid. I will be hunting With KMHA in August 2005. Although we are in the middle of turkey season in Kentucky I find myself day dreaming about Kudu in my blind. I don't know of any local trad hunters who have went there so I hope some of you can help me with the 100's of questions I will probaby ask. Thank's in advance for the help.

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Booked My First Safari
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »
Patrick,
Congratulations, as my PH told me 2 years ago when I began planning my hunt (we leave July 9th!)Your Safari starts now! I think the preparation is half the fun, but I'm looking forward to the other half. Glad to help with any questions, so fire away.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Patrick Bischoff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 07:21:00 PM »
My first question is what kind of broadheads should I use? I just got off the phone with Bob Morrison and he is making a new set of limbs for me that will be between 62-62 pounds and I wonder if I should stick with my woodsmans or use a 2 blade ?

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »
Patrick, I too am doing Africa this year. As one of the designers and original owners of the woodsman head, I must admit this.....I'm taking both! There will be time in the blind to select an arrow and I'm probably gonna use 125 zwickey black diamonds on Eland. I'll make the choice when the animal shows up but since they both shoot the same for me...I see no reason not to take a few along. Good Luck to you.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »
hEY BIGGIE ...SO WHICH BOW YA TAKING??...is joeys bow making the trip??  man ! I still want a bow like that!...lol mark #78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline dirtyleg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 02:51:00 PM »
patrick, i'm leavin in 6 wks and i worked up some 630 gn carbon with grizzly heads 160's and the penetration from my habu vyperkahn is awesome. all of the scuttle on here about this set up is true i think. i shoot 62lb as well good luck. i'll let you know how it went in june

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 06:59:00 PM »
Pat made my first trip last year after 3 years of planning which was half the fun, every walking momemnt for 3 years was about the trip, finest 3 weeks  I ever had, can't wait to get back, As for the equipment i used a 60 lb B/W with magnus 2 blades and 600 grain carbons that I weighted up, worked great. You will have the time of your life. good luck.
Like your Freedom.....Thank a VET.

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 08:15:00 AM »
The first time that I went to Africa, we arrived mid day and ended up taking a "look-see" trip out into the field for the first afternoon to get our bearings. I go dropped off near the water hole that I was to hunt the next day and startted to walk around. It happened to have an embankment around it, and as I walked up the slopeto take a look at the terrain from an elevation I was day dreaming.  When I hit the top I intersected an unsuspecting lady warthog and a small group of young-uns on the march directly towards me at about 10 yards.  I don't know which of us was the more suprised, but we both responded in equal fashion.  If you have ever seen a WH (that's wart hog, not white hunter) move when stratled then you can picture it.  It was only AFTER that, that I learned about there flight rather than fight nature.  They sure look like the scariest thing on 4 short legs.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »
I'll stick my neck out a ways and offer you this advise...

For years I used Zwickee, then switched to the 125 grain Magnus.  A friend went over and was shooting the WIDE Magnus, 135 grain heads.  He had 10 shot, 10 perfect hits, and ten FAST recoveries with great blood trails.

I now shoot only the wide Magnus on all my game (unless I'm shooting stone points).  The only time I go to the 125 grain now is for Cape Buffalo and Water Buffalo.

Some outfitters, mine included, don't want anyone shooting multi-blade heads.  I think they are more geared to the replacable blade type when they discourage them, but the multi-blade head does NOT penetrate bone anywhere near as well as the two blade.

I'm headed over for trip number 11, so I have some African miles on my stalking shoes.  Take the wide Magnus...

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »
Patrick:
I will be joining Biggie in South Africa in July, and I too will have Wensel woodsman and Eclipse broadheads in my quiver. I used Eclipse on my trip in 2001 and took a very old Eland (1800#)at 18 yards, 57# bow and 610 grain total weight arrow. The broadhead and 4" of shaft was sticking out the other side, he went 100 paces before folding.
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 06:35:00 PM »
This last trip I shot 2 bladed heads, and was introduced to the 3 blade WW by the guy who collected the most game (9 or 10 ) They worked perfectly on planes game from tiny to kudu.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©