Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Solid three blade heads effective on plains game?  (Read 4244 times)

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Solid three blade heads effective on plains game?
« on: June 17, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »
Just finished mounting and testing broadheads for my trip to RSA July 8th. As usual, I am finding that I get better flight using Snuffers or Woodsmans than I do using 2 blade heads. I've read Dr. Ashby's report and believe in the effectivess of 2 blade heads but can't argue with the good arrow flight I get and the success I've had on Whitetails here in the states.

So, does anyone have experience using 3 blade heads on plains game? Looking at taking Kudu and Gemsbok with the possibility of Zebra as the largest game.

Thanks for your imput
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solid three blade heads effective on plains game?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 05:58:00 PM »
Wayne, I don't have any experience personally but I just finished watching the Dries Visser videos for about the hundreth time( going there in Jul 05) and many of the people are using 3 and 4 blade broadheads and get complete to toal pass thru penetration.  Hitting the right spot is more important than blowing an arrow thru something.  The other thing I noticed about the videos is that in about 40% of the shots the arrows will only penetrate about half the length of the shaft.  If your arrow only goes 14" into an animal you are still going to get both lungs or the heart on a broadside shot.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 11:52:00 PM »
I wouldn't do it, man!  Think about this...when a two blade head cuts into bone, that's just what it does.  It CUTS through it.  A three or four blade head has to SPREAD the bone!  It eats up the energy in the arrow big time!

I'm heading over for my 11th trip in July.  I have been there and done that, so to speak.  I would NEVER use anything but a good, wide, two blade head.  My choice is the Magnus 135 grain.

My outfitter could tell you horror stories about multi-blade heads and mechanical heads.  He requests all his hunters to shoot two blade heads.

I can't imagine why you get better arrow flight with a three blade head.  It just doesn't make sense.  Have someone ELSE watch you shoot both broadheads.  I would bet that they can't see any difference.  I would bet it is in your mind...

Just some thoughts from someone who has been there many times.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 10:02:00 AM »
Hey Paul, quit hitting them in the boney parts!

I'm geared up for june 28th thru july the 20...
I have 23 new 2317's with Razorcaps mounted spun and SHARP. 675 grains. I'll let ya'll know what happens.....
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 12:45:00 AM »
Agree with Paul... Don

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »
Wile..

I haven't been to Africa..but everything i know about big animals tells me that Paul and Don have given you some really sage advice...

I really, really, really like the Grizzly 160...once i figured out how to make them sharp..I don't think there is a head i would like better...i keep trying everything..but so far................
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
Uncle Don.....don't encourage him..

"[dntthnk]"
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Sugar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 09:11:00 PM »
I think confidence in your choice is more important than the choice itself with the heads your talking about.

On one side Paul could argue you need more penatration and on the other... what if in one instance you NEED the larger hole / 3rd blade.

I'd say which ever shoots best and you really believe in.

Offline Dave/Mn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
Wayne,
After using snuffers since the mid eighties I was gearing up for a moose hunt, but thought I would be better served with a two blade head, so I mounted several and just like you I get much better flight and accuracy with the snuffers.
Like Paul said maybe it's in our heads, but something like that I want in my head. Confidence
in your equipment is priceless, especially when dealing with game animals!
I hunted S Africa last June and my snuffers did just fine as usual. I got a complete passthrough on a 52in Kudu and all 3 blades still shaved hair! I say use the snuffers , stay away from shoulder blades and you will be just fine.
BTW, the vitals are much further forward on African game than on a Whitetail.
I will be hunting Elk in Nm with 2short in Sept,and I will be totting Snuffers, I hope this broadhead issue doesn't get out of hand.
Good Luck in Africa.  :thumbsup:  
Dave :

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »
Dave,
Good huntin in September!!

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »
Dave, just curious, what bow, and how much bowweight and arrowweight did you use on that Kudu ?

Jacob

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »
Oh, no, Dave!  You didn't tell me you used SNUFFERS!  You're sleeping in the wood shed and I have a great water hole for your Double Bull blind...of course it's only three inches across and I have never seen an Elk track there, but you'll survive!

Heh, heh, heh!  I have my opinions and you have yours.  It doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me what you shoot as long as you shoot it well.

Bring your Africa photos with you when you come...and any others you want.  I'll have my lap top with all mine on it.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Dave/Mn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 09:25:00 PM »
Jock,
Thanks a lot, I'm confident that we will have a great time.
Jacob,
Black Widow MA3 60'' 65@29 Gold Tip carbons cut to 30'' weighted with Gold Tip brass weights to finish out at about 650 grains.
I have no idea what the arrow speed is, and I really don't care. I just know when I do my part they do theirs.
Paul;
Do you think you could condense things to a few select snapshots? A whole computer full of pictures from a guy that hunts all year could be scarry!
Seriously, best of luck to you and everyone else going across this summer, whatever is on your arrows.

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 07:37:00 AM »
Thank you Dave, I can see why you get passthroughs with that setup   :D  

Jacob

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »
Ok guys...here's the long and short (sorry Paul) of it...
Just got back from 10 days in South Africa and here's the report on Razorcaps:

7 animals....7 arrows...6 down in sight, the 7th went 300 yards. (for those who aren't aware, shooting a gemsbok 4" back of the front leg is a no-no)
4 pass thrus, 3 stuck in opposite shoulders.
Kudu, Waterbuck, Hartebeast, Wildebeast, Impala and 2, Gemsbok.
63# black widow bow and 650 grain arrows.
I have NO PROBLEM recommending 3 blade heads for plains game.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »
The 350 Heritage from 3 Rivers. Added the weight tubes and ended up with 650 grains. Great arrow flight and unreal penetration....

Awards are for politicians.........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Idahoeyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »
I just got back from Namibia as well.  I shot 3 animals with 4 arrows (I missed the Springbok on the last hour of the last day!) I was using 2 blade grizzlies, 160 grains and a total arrow weight of about 640 gr.

HOWEVER, one of the compound guys lost 2 animals with light 3 blade broadheads (he was shooting an overdraw, so arrows were very light). He hit a Kudu in the shoulder blade with the three blad broadhead and it stuck in the shoulderblade with only about 1/8" protruding into the lung.  What would have happened with the same broadhead and a heavier arrow I don't know?  Dr. Ed Ashby had done lots of testing and I will only shoot 2 blades at African animals.  They are tough!!  If your shot placement is perfect, 100% of the time, then go with whatever.  If not, look at 2 blade heads.  Most PH's will not allow 3 blade heads for dangerous game.  Why? You have a much better chance at getting killing penetration with a 2 blade head.

Biggie, sounds like you shoot very well.  Congrats on a great trip and great shooting!  Where are the pictures?  :)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »
Biggie, thats awesome man! were they all taken with the Robertson Bow?? Well done , looks like you had a good trip...mark#78..just went back and read it was a black widow, great!  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 08:42:00 AM »
anyone herd from my buds wayne and t-bell..??? I hope there doing well , mark#78  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©