Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Change in Airline Baggage Restrictions!  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Change in Airline Baggage Restrictions!
« on: June 28, 2004, 02:18:00 PM »
Just a heads up for those of you getting ready for a trip. Began planning my luggage several months ago and purchased according to restrictions (listed as 70" combination of length + width + height) Well I went back to check on a few things and now the regulations state that the limit is 62". This was verified by conversation with the airline. This was for Delta and SAA. Had to change out some of my bags to fit. Just glad I found out prior to arriving at the airport. Hope this helps some of you who are preparing.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline crane

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Change in Airline Baggage Restrictions!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
Wayne- There is a "sporting goods or equipment" exemption.  I have used it before. Check out the measurements on a golf bag , for example. They are not even close. If you go to your carriers web page you should be able to access that info. I know folks who have actually printed it out and handed it to the SUPERVISOR when hassled. Most travel agents do not know about this exemtion. Almost all folks at check in do not know either.Somehow they do not equate arhery gear with skis, golf clubs, bicycles, snowboards, etc. You just have to show them the way!!

Offline Jake H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 04:29:00 PM »
for Delta:

www.delta.com/travel/plan/baggage_info/special_baggage/sporting_goods/index.jsp

archery equipment is specifically mentioned.

I also checked the Air Canada site (it's the national carrier here) and they have almost exactly the same rules so I suspect it's an industry standard.  However I did find it funny that Delta specifically notes Bowling equipment and AirCanada notes hockey equipment. Beauty, eh?

Of course one should check carefully beforehand with the carrier rather than believing what one reads on the web  ;)

Jake
(who wishes he had to worry about how to pack for a safari )

Offline Jake H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 04:32:00 PM »
Oh yah, and I thought this part was a hoot:

"Sport parachutes are accepted under the rules and procedures for carry-on baggage provided no items classified as dangerous goods (example: pressurized oxygen cylinders) are included".

Can you just IMAGINE trying to board a plane past the TSA monkeys with a PARACHUTE!  

Hilarity ensues.

Jake
(who'd pay to watch someone ELSE try that)

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 11:15:00 PM »
It's all a RIP-OFF anyway.  They used September 11th as a way to screw us over.  I use the largest Cabela's duffle and never had a peep about it until recently.  I just tell them that I'll sue the bastards if they screw with me and it seems to quiet them right down!  Oh, this makes me see bright RED!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 06:28:00 AM »
I just returned flying SAA between Joberg and Atlanta.  I had one of the big Cabelas duffels. The total of the 3 dimensions was about 72" and on the return flight it weighed 37 kg (81#).  My wife had it stuffed with wine and some of the heavy wood curios.   They weighed all of the bags but seemed more concerned with the aggregate weight.  Anyhow, they put a heavy sticker on it and I didn't have any problems. Jim

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 05:08:00 PM »
I too just returned from Africa. the same route as Jim with no problems, even had a PVC tube that was 66" long, two pieces of 4" fastened together for arrows and longbows. No hassle from anyone at either Delta or South African air.

I did have something that appeared odd, and a total waste of Tax payers money. On our return flight to the US we stopped at Cape Verde Island for a crew change and fuel, at like 2 AM all of the passengers were asked to remove all of there carry on luggage from the over head bins and under their seats, return too the seats with all of this luggage in their laps, and were told that US immigration people were comming on board. Shortly afterward two men in US immigration uniforms came on board, they walked down each isle and looked in the luggage bins and left. They could not find anything in the bins,"I can't understand why"
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline dirtyleg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 07:36:00 PM »
I AGREE I JUST RETURNED WITH 2 OF HUGE CABELAS BAGS WITH TAKEDOWN IN EACH ONE NO PROBS

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »
I just returned from muskox hunting in the NWT. We were limited to 50 lbs. per bag.I asked the person at the counter about the 70lb. rule for flying international.She informed me that Canada was not  international.I then had to take one tennis shoe out of one bag and put it in the other to balance out my bags to 50lbs.This was flying out of Detroit.

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
Tom , I was flying with Northwest.

Offline scruff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
I fly commercially 2-8 times/month with work (and some play), my supersized cabela' large brown duffel has made it thru more airports than I care to count.  It finally happened in Sept, while returning from CO. They slammed me with an "oversized bag/$80 hit", it happened on Delta (and I am a Platinum/2M mile flyer with them).  I went out and bought a $60 hardsided golf bag with wheels, it fits all clothes, takedown and arrows.  Should have thought of this sooner. Works great and there is an exemption for all US carriers for golf equipment.
Good flying!
Scruff

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »
I have the largest Cabela's duffle and a hard bow case that is 64" long.  NEVER had a lick of trouble.  Assert yourself!  You are dealing with BOZOS who are just like government bureaucrats.  I smile, sweet talk them, and always try to pick a female at the counter.  They think short guys are cute.  I don't disappoint them...I AM CUTE and I schmooze them!  Works every time.  I feel sorry for you tall guys.  You don't have a chance!

Too Short

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 11:31:00 PM »
Too Short....you ever stop to think that maybe they feel sorry for you? :>)

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 11:56:00 AM »
So?  As long as I get what I want, who cares, Gene.  I try to keep Karen feeling sorry for me and so far it has worked just great!

Too F. Short

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©