Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Question  (Read 1569 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Question
« on: August 13, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »
Isn't there a animal in Africa also known as a "Devils Horse"?  I saw a show about them once and can't remember the critters real name.  If anyone does know, please let me know
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
I think that's what the natives use to pull their donkey carts.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »
I dont know but I have caught some bass on a broken back devil horse!..  :D    :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Windknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 04:16:00 AM »
Hyena, maybe? Folklore has it that witches ride around on them.
Always keep an edge on your knife, 'cause a good sharp edge is man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life.

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »
some interesting answers, bayou i like those lures to.  This is some kinda critter they have overseas, little short horns on its head, shaped kinda like a horse.  Thought at first it might be Nylgi but can't find a referance to that name.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline Windknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 01:59:00 PM »
Nilgai? Isn't that an Indian antelope? Big blue brute with little spike horns?
Always keep an edge on your knife, 'cause a good sharp edge is man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »
Nilgai is what your thinking of.  They are native to India, but I dont think there is much hunting there anymore!

Do a web search on Nilgai hunts.  You will find several places in Texas and one in Mexico that takes bowhunters.  They are supposed to be a real challenge to take with a bow.  Ugly looking blue-grey critters with lil-spikey horns 8-10 inches long, they must go 300-400 pounds for a good bull.  Gene Wensel was pretty high on them a while back, he said they were a real challenge to hunt.  

They have some interesting biology and habits, one is that they make "dung heaps" where everybody craps on the same pile, I've never read why this is so.  I think they are mostly hunted by stalking or on water, they say they cannot be baited (and if they are in Texas I'm sure somebody tried!) and Gene says they have absolutely zero curiosity.

Interesting critters, but look like an UGLY mount!

Ryan

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »
Huh, didnt see Gene-O already replied.....

Give us your thoughts on Nilgai, Gene-

I was looking at that hunt in Mexico a while back, but too many places to go, too little time, know what I mean?

Ryan

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »
My Aussie mate has a nilgai shoulder mount that he took in Texas, Ryan is right its not an impressive mount, of course his is only a spike!
Gene, I read somewhere that worldwide more people are killed anually by donkeys than in airplane crashes, maybe they should be included with dangerous game!

Offline Windknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »
I saw an article about an Indian Blackbuck "hunt" a few years ago- One pickup truck, one driver, one loader, one shooter, one Lee Enfield, MANY .303 cartridges. All shots taken at running game from a moving vehicle.

Next time somebody moans at me because I hunt I'll send him round that way. If he survives he'll see us in a new light.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »
Nilgai in Texas is the toughest hunt I've ever been on. Granted, we were too busy with the piggies to spedn allot of time on 'em but they are extremely wary. It's the only animal I know of besides a coyote that will look back at you while he's running away!

I saw a bull and a cow over 200 yards away in a grown up field. The wind was blowiung to me and I had a big catclaw bush betweenus. I eased up to that bush which was only 20 yards away and when I S L O W L Y peeked around it. The bull was watching me! They have no curiosity gene either.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©