Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Africa Costs  (Read 1930 times)

Offline albertakid

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Africa Costs
« on: December 08, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
I am interested in what it really costs to go to Africa. I have wanted to do this for some time and if anyone could give me a good estimate from air fair to trophy fees upon return I would appreciate it. I would like to start putting away now for a trip in a couple of years. I am really serious, but have no idea where to start.
"One shot one kill"

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Africa Costs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »
albertakid?  Hmmm?  Sounds like I found another guy who doesn't ever want to grow up.  For example, when I die, I'm going to join the Lost Boys...screw this heaven stuff!

Al... take a look at my web site.  It's got just about anything in there you would need to know.   www.brunners.net   go to Africa.  I am NOT a paid booking agent, so this is the real scoop.

Email me with questions.  I'm already booked for my 13th trip over, so I do know the ropes.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline CurveBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 01:14:00 PM »
Too SHort:

The website says that your "domain name" has expired or in the process of being renewed.  Whats up?

>>>>>----------------->
>>>>>-----CurveBow----->

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 02:36:00 PM »
Paul,

Better have Lad renew your domain registration NOW before somebody else buys it.  You have to renew it every few years.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »
I just purchased  WWW.Brunners.net

It is available for sale at a modest cost of 18,500 US dollars. Or, will trade for an all expense paid African Hunt for myself and Snakeater(Pheasant boy)

You may contact me via E-Mail or vist my new site at  WWW.Brunners.net  

Stagmitis
Stagmitis

Offline medivac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »
Really need to have a knowledge of what "Brunners.Net" is all about! I'm a D.A. when it comes to guessing!! Hey we shoot antiques, yet!! We regress rather than progress!!!
   Wayne

Offline medic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »
I am interested in info in the costs for Africa also.The fees don`t seem so bad ,but what aboutgetting capes stored ,shipped and taxidermy work.A;so any other "hidden' costs.
Luck is the meeting of preparation and opportunity.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
Yes, I would like to know also. I may have a chance to go on a short hunt, but I need to get a realistic idea of the costs.

Is it realistic to get any meat back to the states?
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »
Hadn't checked this post in a while.  Yeah, the whatever it is expired.  My son is working on it now.  Pits!

I can lay out costs for anyone who wants to email me.  Just email me direct at [email protected]

In a nut shell, you first need to make up your mind to go for 14 days.  I have seen grown men cry when they had to leave after ten days.
Daily rates will vary.  Where I hunt, if we have four hunters in camp, the rate is significantly less than if we have only one hunter in camp.

Rates have gone up in the last 12 months, due to the weak American dollar.  Right now, I think we are looking at around $300-$325 per day with four hunters in camp.  Trophy fees are pretty much standard with all outfitters.

Getting your treated and fumigated capes/horns/hides back will cost you anywhere from $400-$600, unless you ship yours with a friend's.  But...the good news is that this is usually 9 months or more after your hunt.

I tell people that if you book a 14 day hunt and take 6-8 animals and include air fare, you are usually under $10,000.  Most guys do it with that many animals for about 8 grand.

Keep checking the web site.  Lad (my son) tells me it should be back up soon.

Too Short

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
I hate to agree with the Dwarf but...........

We spent 3 weeks there and didn't want to leave then. I know it's hard to get off work that long but I'd take a month off without pay if I could to stay that long. It's a once in a lifetime trip for most, might as well get all the good out of it the 1st time :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »
I'm with you biggie! make it worth ur wild...and you sir did just that   :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 01:22:00 AM »
I go this summer and so far my plane ticket was $2260.00 but that is out of Montana so it would probably be $400.00 cheaper or more from any where else.  $3850.00 for daily rates on a 14 day hunt.  Approximately $1200 for a 3 day photo safari before the hunt, and I am hoping to have $8000.00 for trophy fees.  May only be $7000.00 because I work a lot of overtime so I'm not sure yet what I will have exactly.  Just found out tonight that it is $170.00 to get picked up at the airport.  You also don't want to forget about tips for staff and there are other little things like a bow case, video camera if you don't already have one (me), gifts/souvenirs, and all of the other little things that are unexpected.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline JIMMY ROGERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
I'll be making my 4th trip soon. When I project my budget for the next hunt, I include the following: Air Fare,Ground Transportation, Hotel,Daily Hunt Fee, Trophy Fees, Hide Processing Fee, Tips, and Shopping. The taxidermy fees and shipping come months after your return. Alway budget more for trophy fees even if you don't use it, you are prepaired for whatever the hunt produces. And as Paul and Biggie stated, plan for no less than 14days of hunting,you have too much time and money invested in the travel cost to do less.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
How much is a realistic estimate for tips? For say a 14 day hunt?
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
12,000 .00 sounds like good amount ....Id get some out country health Insurance to get you back to the states by aire Ambulance just in case , read about a guy that had complications , heart...medivac out back to the states??? any thoughts ???
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 12:05:00 PM »
Tipping, by our standards, is extremely cheap.  Especially so, now that South Africa has gotten a minimum wage law.  The camp people, including cooks, kitchen staff, trackers, skinners, etc., are being paid more.

What I have always done, is gone over the list of employees who were involved somehow in our hunt with the outfitter.  He recommends the tip amount and I add it right on to his bill.  It seems that most outfitters do it that way.

I have a tracker with whom I hunt who I tip personally and higher than recommended.  I also do the same with our chef, who is also the camp manager.  He has become a personal friend and he takes wonderful care of all of us in camp, especially the observers, who sometimes just hang in camp and swim, do walks, etc.

Too Short

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©