Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Who's got plans made?  (Read 2970 times)

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who's got plans made?
« on: December 10, 2004, 07:00:00 AM »
I'm heading back to Melorani in August '05 with my pal Rich Niblock. Our focus will be waterbuck and nyala. Both beautiful species, but higher end on the trophy fees.

Anybody else have plans made?

Offline JIMMY ROGERS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's got plans made?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »
Going back to Ha Nore for a May-June hunt. First hunt at this time of year, have always gone in July-Aug. I guess I no longer have the patience to wait until July.

Offline Patrick Bischoff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 03:59:00 PM »
I am going on my first trip to RSA in August.

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »
Jimmy, As you know Ha Nore is great. Tell Allan I said hey.

Pat, Were in RSA are you hunting? What is the animal you are dreaming of?

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 07:11:00 PM »
Denny, Africa? AGAIN? I am thinking of heading back in 05, but I need to figure out my schedule for OZ first. Rick

Offline Whitearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »
I am booked for Melorani in 2006.  We could't get in in 2005, more than 1 1/2 years to wait is killing me.  Red hartebeest and waterbuck are on the top of my list for this trip.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 04:20:00 AM »
I'm going to Dries Vissers for 2 weeks in Jul/Aug with Gene Wensel.  I am still trying to decide what exactly I want to try to shoot.  I have Nyala on my list but like Denny says they are at the upper end of the trophy fee list but I really like the way Nyala look.  On the other hand if I don't shoot an Nyala I have $2000 to spend on other things like a second Zebra and a Blue Wildebeest or a lot of smaller animals.  The thing I would really like to get is a Sable but I know that isn't going happen unless I win the lottery.  I think Black Wildebeest are really neat to but they don't have access to those any more.  It's a rough life but I am sure I will survive.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Patrick Bischoff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »
Denny, I will be in the Limpopo Valley with Ken Moody. I have been having dreams about Kudu since seeing your DVD. Everyone tells me that this won't be my last trip so any other animal I take would be a bonus.

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm headed to Ha Nore for the first 14 days of august.

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 10:32:00 PM »
Rick, If my work schedule allows I'm going to try and make it downunder too. Hope they have a spot left.

Whitearcher, we'll try to save a few animals for you guys. LOL You are going to have a good hunt. Stewart only books so many hunters in his bow only area.

Joseph, You're right- Life is tough. Ain't it great?

Pat, That is supposed to be a beautiful area. Nothing is cooler than a big kudu bull. Best of luck.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 03:20:00 AM »
Denny, yes it is hard  :(  I will get back from Africa 5 days before the archery Antelope opens, I am going to Indiana in November to visit Ryan and hunt Whitetails and I already have a trip scheduled for Austrailia in June 06 for 2 weeks down under, another Buffalo at Dougs, and poosibly Canada for Moose again.  :bigsmyl:  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 07:06:00 AM »
Randy, Didn't you go to Ha Nore last summer too?

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »
Denny, just let me know when you can go and we'll try to fit you into the schedule, we've got several trad guys signed up already. Rick

Offline Randy Cooling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 09:36:00 PM »
Denny, No this is my first trip to Ha Nore. I sure hope it works out for you to hunt  buffalo. It's a blast. See you in Kalamazoo.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 05:07:00 AM »
Denny, I am wondering, since I haven't been to Africa yet, have you not had a chance to shoot either one of these animals before because you had not seen them before or were they standing there and it was to much money to part with at the time?  I am just trying to get an idea of what it is going to be like.  Talk to one person and they tell you they saw 200+ different animals a day and then I see on a video where a person says that they had been to Africa 3 times previously and never seen the species of animal that they just shot until then.  I am just trying to get some realistic expectations. Thanks,  Joseph

Offline TDJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 06:51:00 AM »
I'm going back to Melorani in 2007 .Wanted to go in 2006 but since we needed rooom for 5 hunters they were already booked up. Everyone is right,once you go to Africa you will go back and back and back!! Fifth time for me and I was only going once .

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »
Joseph, I'll give you my two cents. Yes you may see 200 animals a day come to a water hole, but that isn't the average and how many "shooters" will be in that 200? Not all that many and even then you won't get a shot opportunity at a lot of the shooters. Then some animals are very common at water holes, impala, warthogs, baboons, kudu, others are not, nyala, waterbuck, zebra. The weather also enters into it, hot dry weather and you will see lots of animals, cold/full moon, not so many, a rare wet spell during the dry season, hardly anything at all. In short, you need to have a pretty good idea of what you realisticly want before you get in the blind, because you can't expect to get and endless number of chances and things can change VERY quickly. Rick

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »
Joseph, Rick is right on.

My first three trips were to Zimbabwe. I never saw an nyala there; no gemsbok either. Waterbuck lived along the river. I couldn't afford them anyway.

Different areas offer better chances at different species for sure. Wish I was leaving tomorrow.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 02:26:00 AM »
Thanks guys, the realistic idea of what I want is what I am trying to come up with.  If things work out I will between 8 and 9 thousand dollars for trophy fees.  I have an idea of what I would like to do but I don't want to waste my time trying to meet an unrealistic goal or waiting for an animal that I probably won't see.  If things go like usual in my life, my best laid plans will disolve right along with my resolve and I will go hog wild shooting whatever I get a good chance at  :bigsmyl: .  I never was much for passing up shot oppurtunities, I always figured they were standing there like that for a reason.  Joseph  :thumbsup:

Offline Gopherhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »
I'm booked for ombengu in july/05.  This is my first and i gather probably not my last trip to africa.
Setup suggestions are welcome

currently shooting this setup and got two caribou in august without any problems but they aren't african game either.

90# recurve built by Ricky Welch
homemade hickory arrows with WW tips total weight 830 grains

I get good penetration on deer and caribou with the WW tips should I stick with it or go to two blade?

My arrows are 3/8 diameter should I go to carbon for smaller shaft to increase penetration?

I can't hardly wait till july
Gopherhunter
I only hunt critters that walk,crawl,slither,fly or swim.  I guess you could say I'm picky.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©