Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Near disaster  (Read 1889 times)

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
Near disaster
« on: May 20, 2005, 05:31:00 PM »
I have had several near misses with my upcoming African bowhunt.  First, my longtime hunting partner informed me that he would was going to have to cancel his plans of hunting with me in Africa this year.  This left me all alone, a prospect I wasn't thrilled about.  After alot of thought, I decided to scrounge up enough money to pay for my step father to go with me.  He too has always dreamed of hunting Africa but was not able to afford the cost of the trip.  With a little help from me, I got a hunting partner and he got to live a dream, and we both get to share the memories together.  Then about 2 weeks ago I got word that my long planned safari had been cancelled because the ranch manager was moving to the city.  I was disappointed and panicked to say the least.  I had alot of money already tied up in the trip, and found myself very discouraged about the prospects of giving up my plans.  Thankfully, Shannon Fausel at Ombengu, where I had been booked, was able to find another concession for my step dad and I to hunt during the same dates.  Her PH rcommended the place, and I trust the everything will go well.  I am once again excited and gearing up for the trip, scheduled in just over a month.  A lot of thanks goes out to Denny Sturgis, Lee Wilson of Dove Adventures, and the folks at Dave Holt Safaris for doing there best to find me a spot when things went topsy turvey.  I had a third near disaster when I impinged my right rotator cuff 2 weeks ago and was told not to do ANYTHING with my right arm for a month.  I told the therapist that wasn't an option given my upcoming trip and need to practice with my new 75# longbow.  Thankfully, things have started to heal and I have been shooting reasonably well and pain free for the last 4 days.  Now I am just holding my breath and praying that nothing else goes awry before July 1st.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Near disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »
Anyone feeling lucky enough to ride on the airplane with me?

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »
Doctorbrady,  Sorry to hear about all your misfortunes but glad things have turned around for you. Does this mean that Ombengu is not doing hunts at this time? I talked with Steve and Shannon Fausel many times last year before eventually booking a hunt with someone else. I think if I ever go back to Africa Ombengu would be on the top of my list of places to go.
Jack Shanks

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 02:29:00 AM »
doc. good luck and I hope those are the last of your problems and no I don't want to ride on a plane with you!

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 09:32:00 AM »
I probably shouldn't stick my nose in here, but it sounds to me like the best outfitter wasn't picked, for sure.  The other stuff is just part of life.

So many bowhunters go to Africa and opt for the CHEAP hunt or take the first thing that comes along.  I hear from them constantly.  I tell them all the same thing...

If you are going to spend all that time and money getting there, pick the BEST operation, with the proven track record...NOT the cheapest!  For $50 more per day, you may come home having had the hunt of a lifetime, instead of a "near disaster"!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline meatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »
Hey Doc!!
  Well, Im glad things have seemed to work out for you.  Let me know how your trip goes and if you get back thru Ohio, look me up.

Mike H
As the one hiker said to the other, "I dont have to outrun that Grizzly, I only have to outrun YOU"!

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »
Jack,
Ombengu has shut down all hunts for this year.  They are currently looking for a camp manager, but will only take "the right person."  I appreciate that, but I am hoping that they will be opening back up.  The bright side is I will have all daily fees and trophy fees on a gemsbok and kudu covered for free if they open back up!
Too Short,
I certainly didn't pick "the cheapest" operation.  In fact, Ombengu was the highest priced outfit that I found in either South Africa or Namibia.  Furthermore, it came very highly recommended from a number of well respected hunters who I contacted in person, including Denny.  Unfortunately, stuff happens.  If Ombengu does open back up, I will be the first to sign up...and take my nearly free hunt!!!!!! I'll post pics when I get back.  Get that 10th arrow sighted in  :) !  Brady

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »
Doctorbrady, thank you for the update. I can only hope that for the Fausel's sake and anyone wishing to hunt Ombengu that this is only a tempory situation. From my correspondence with Steve and Shannon Fausel I'm not the least bit surprised by their generous offer to make things right with you. Shannon offered a discounted price for my wife and I last year after a computer glitch didn't allow them to receive an inquiry I had sent them. And yes, their prices are higher than most places I checked on but how many concessions are 100 sq. miles that only allow bowhunting?
 I might even risk getting on the plane with you if you need a hunting partner when they open Ombengu back up again.
Jack Shanks

Offline Ham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »
Doc, I think we always have luck with us.  I hope you have used up all of the bad luck and have nothing but good luck on your safari!  I still don't think I want to fly with you.  I hope I don't have the reverse fortune this summer.  I strongly considered Ombengu, but settled on HaNore for my trip in August.  By the way, where could we get an aplication for the camp manager position?

Offline crane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 10:03:00 AM »
Sorry guys, it smells like fish. On the very eve of the season, how could any kind of hooked up, QUALITY outfit just shut down. Please 'splain that one to me, with a red crayon like your talking to a five year old.Could it be the reported shortage of  properly licensed bowhunting PH's?

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
Doc, good luck , hope the worm has turned for you. Have great trip , cant wait to here how it goes. God Bless...marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
Jack,
I will keep you informed, always happy to have another stickbow guy along.
Crane,
I don't have red crayon, but I suspect anyone could lose a manager.  Makes it a little hard to find a good replacement this close to season.  Shannon said they were looking for a qualified couple to replace the current manager as they are situated way out in the bush and not many people want to be out there alone, certainly not people "people."  My parents were actually interested in the position, but I think Steve and Shannon are looking for someone with a lot of background and experience in the bush, both for safety sake and for the sake of quality.  Again, Ombengu comes highly regarded from a number of bowhunters whom I trust.  My experience, has been a good one, despite the major near miss.  I am not out a dime and hope to have another hunt in the near future.  If there is any question about the quality of the concession ask Denny Sturgis about his hunts there and his eland which would place in the #1 or 2 spot in SCI.  On the other hand, I think that Ombengu is mostly a pet project for the Fausels as they have a lot of diversified interests.  That means they probably don't have to make any money off this venture, so opening back up may not be an urgent priority.  Still, if they do, I will show up!
Bayoulongbowman, Thanks for the blessings.  I'll post my experience when I return. Brady

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »
doctorbrady, I talked with both Denny and Steve and I'm confident Ombengu will be back up and running once the Fausels find the right manager. Until then as Steve put it, they have too many animals that are getting fatter.
Jack Shanks

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »
I can hardly wait!!!!  Are you in for the next trip?   I'll bring the parachutes.  Brady

Offline crane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
Doc- Your explanation of their financial situation explains it without the red crayon.Thx. Have a great trip.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 05:46:00 PM »
Crane,
Thanks for the well wishes.  I hope to post some pics soon!  Brady

Offline Gopherhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »
Best of luck Bro.

Take lots of video so I can cry over it for missing this trip.
I only hunt critters that walk,crawl,slither,fly or swim.  I guess you could say I'm picky.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©