Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Which broadhead to use?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Which broadhead to use?
« on: October 11, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »
For plains game at Melorani. Maybe even eland but probably not that big. My new bow will shoot a 600 grain arrow about 185 to 190 FPS. I've got my choices narrowed down to a Magnus I, II, Stinger or the STOS. All 2 blade and the head weight will depend on which flies best out of new bow. All four heads are slightly different in dimension and all four would probably work just fine but I can't decide.

Which head design would you use and why?
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which broadhead to use?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 12:34:00 AM »
Based on what I saw during my hunt this summer I would go with the Magnus I.  If all of your shots are perfect it won't matter but the bigger heads will help on a hit that is less than perfect, the bigger the better.  I shot 4 animals with Zephyr Sausquatch broadheads that are wider than the Magnus I and I used a Magnus I on my Kudu.  All 5 shots resulted in the arrows either blowing through or hanging out the oppisite side by the feathers.  I shot an Eland with a Damascus steel trade point that was 1 1/8th wide and it would have been a pass through also but it went into the oppisite shoulder.  I think that the Sausquatch or Magnus I would have done the same.  I am going back in 2007 and I am going to take some 160 gr Snuffers along on that trip.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »
Without question, I would go with the Magnus.  I can never remember which head is the I and which is the II.  I use the wide 135 grain Magnus and if I am right, that is the Magnus I.

I've been over there 13 times and used a variety of heads.  The fastest kills, best blood trails, and best recoveries on marginal hits have all been with the wide Magnus.

HERE'S AN IMPORTANT TIP!!!!  The Magnus comes with a needle point.  Round the tip slightly!  You will actually get BETTER penetration on bone and no chance of the tip curling.

Here's how I recommend sharpening them...  DON'T go for a SHAVING edge.  It dulls too quickly on hair and bone.  I put mine on a belt sander or file them.  Then I run through a Redi-Sharp, carbide sharpener three strokes per side.  You will not believe the edge you will get and it won't corrode or dull in a quiver.

Good luck...you're going to LOVE Africa.  It gets in your blood!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline T-Bell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »
I agree With Paul (AKA TFS) on the Magnus. I sharpen my Magnus and Zwickies with a file only and can get them shaving sharp but the file leaves them with a sort of serated edge to my liking. The magnus are a bit eaiser to sharpen than the zwickey for me but the Z seems to hold the edge longer. I used both on plains game including Eland and I would recommend either.

Regards; T-Bell
Oh, So thats where I was lookin

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »
I always use the BIGGEST head that I am sure will make an exit wound on the biggest animal I am likely to get a shot at. I used the 160 Magnus exclusivly in Africa, because I happen to have a bunch of them on hand and was totally satisfied with the performance. I shot one at 10 yards through a jackal just at dark and the head made sparks on a rock just behind it, this was with an 80# bow and 700 grain arrows, the head was still good to go, just a couple licks with a file.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear everyone is recommending the Magnus I since I've got about 18 that are already razor sharp. I'm going to work the tip as T.F.S. suggests since these are a few years old and have a needle point that might roll over if I hit a rib. Now it's just a matter of getting the weight right so they fly perfect. I may need to move up to the 160 or play around with different weight screw in adapters but that'll keep me occupied and help cope with the wait.

I thought the newer ones had the diamond point so maybe I won't need to work over the ones I buy. Has anyone used the new ones with the diamond tip?

Anyway, I too like the wide head and was just wondering what others thought.

Thanks Guys!

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 03:42:00 AM »
The one that I used had the diamond tip on it but I didn't hit any heavy bone.  You could chisel the tips on the ones you have real easy with a file.  Hold the broadhead so the edge is perpindicular to the file and angle it up off the file so when you push the BH down the file it makes about a 1/16th facet on each side of the point.  This will give you a point that won't roll over but has a sharp edge on the very point.  Almost like the tip of a grizzly, just smaller.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »
Even on the new ones, you should round that tip a bit.  I just use a file and work it over a bit.  It works perfectly every time for me.

Too Short

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »
I've used to Magnus 160's but really favor the Stos 160's they just shoot better and penetrate better with my low poundage bows 49 - 52 @ 26.
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »
I also have to agree with Ontario Longbow concerning the STOS broadheads.

I've used both and both are great heads, but if I had to choose one or the other, I would go with the STOS.

I have no doubts that if you go with Magnus you will still be happy.

Ray  ;)

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 10:30:00 PM »
The Magnus I on the left in both pictures has had the tip modified. The one on the right is the stock needle point after sharpening. Is the rounded tip on the left about right?

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 10:58:00 AM »
As the old line goes, "Bingo, Pinhead"!  You're right on the money!  If I could post pictures, I would post one of the Magnus II that completely severed a rib going in to my Cape Buffalo and completely severed a rib on the far side.

It is in perfect condition and could actually be used for hunting without re-sharpening!  An unbelievable arrow head, in my opinion!

I re-read your first comments, tilzbow, and I'll give you a couple of thoughts on the STOS.  My first comment is that it is made by Magnus, so you know the quality is perfect.  Second...it's not wide enough!

African game has a different blood clotting factor than American game, according to a Pathologist friend of mine.  You need to OPEN A BIG HOLE IN THEM, in order to get good blood trails and heavy bleeding.  The Magnus I, in my book, is the only head I will use.

Cheers, mate!

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »
So are you saying that an extra 3/8" in cutting width creates that much better of a bloodtrail when comparing 2 blade broadheads?

I find that hard to believe but I haven't been able to test it. All I can go own is personal experience with elk and intensive studies such as the Ashby Report.

Have you used the STOS on African game and seen loss blood than what the Magnus creates?

Ray  ;)

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 07:57:00 PM »
I haven't used the STOS on African game, Ray, but I have seen a serious difference between bleeding with the 125 grain Magnus compared to the 135 grain Magnus.

So far, everyone that has used them at Greater Kuduland, where I hunt, has a better results than any of us in the past with the narrower heads.

Now I realize that this isn't very scientific, but I've been there 13 times and taken a couple of hundred critters there, if not more.  On the ground experience tells me that the wide two blade brings the best results.  Our outfitter has also noticed and commented on the better blood trails since a number of us went to the Magnus I.

I hope this answers your questions.  By-the-way, I did try the STOS heads.  I just couldn't get them to fly right...weird, but I tried every thing and they wander on me.

I stick with the Magnus...sort of like that old addage...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Too Short

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »
If you didn't try the STOS what were the other 2 blade broadheads that didn't perform as well as the Magnus 1?

Thanks,

Ray  ;)

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »
What kind of penetration are you getting on elk size animals...complete pass throughs, complete chest cavity penetration or something else?

Thanks,

Ray  ;)

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 02:39:00 AM »
Using a Zephyr Sausquatch I shot a Red Heartabeest and an Impala with complete arrow pass throughs.  Sticking in the dirt on the other side of the animal.  I used a large Pearson Deadhead on an Nyala with the same results.  On my Zebra and Kudu the arrows were hanging out of the other side of the animal by the feathers.  The Zebra was shot with a Zephyr and the Kudu with a Magnus I.  My Eland was the only animal that I didn't have and exit wound on and that was because the arrow stuck in the oppisite shoulder.  He didn't hardly even drop any blood on the ground but that didn't matter as the arrow pin cushioned his heart and he only went 40 yards.  He was the only animal that I used a narrow Broadhead on (1 1/8th inches).  Even with a broadhead through his heart and the shaft snapping off inside and falling out there was almost no blood that came out of him.  The other 5 animals all bled profusely.  Again not real scientific and I have only shot 6 animals in Africa but my results were the same as what Paul has seen with vastly more experience.  Joseph

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
Thanks Joseph...I love info like that  ;)

Ray  ;)

Offline Ham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about blood trails on African game.  You won't be tracking your animals.  I think the Bushmen really could track a spider across bare rock!  They don't need any stinken blood trail!  When you choose your broadhead, think more about accuracy first, ability for you to sharpen second, and lastly penitration.  Durability goes without saying, but your list started with heads that would do the job.  Lots will get the job done.  Grizzly 125's worked for me.

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
First answer...I tried Zwickey and Hunter.  Good heads, but not as good as the Magnus.  Remember, this is an OPINION.  It doesn't make it the Gospel!

Second answer...penetration varied.  I shot through a lot of animals.  I shot a Gemsbuck in his bed at 12 yards.  Arrow quartered in through the gut, into the lungs and heart, and stuck out in front of the off front shoulder!  Now THAT is PENETRATION, since a Gemsbuck is almost solid muscle.

Some trackers are better than others.  My favorite tracker, who is AWESOME, is dying of AIDS, so I have had some that are no where near as good.  Yes, the Bushmen are stupendous, but there are none of them tracking in South Africa, to my knowledge.

Cheers from Too Short!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©