Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Who's going this year?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Who's going this year?
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »
Hey guys, who's headed to the Dark continent this year?  I'm FINALLY going to make it to Driss Visser's place this July.  I've been trying to go for about 5 years.  Booked through Gene Wensel, who has been MORE than patient in helping me to get over there.  I can't wait.  Just gotta decide on a bow.  I really wanna take my blacktail over there, but it's only 53lbs. and I'm worried this may be a little light.  I can't wait!

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's going this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
Hey right back!
I'm going in 2007. Did the same thing you did; booked through Gene for Visser's. I'll be living vicarously through your reports for my '07 hunt.
I had a thread down further here you might want to look at. I have a 54# recurve and the guys said it was enough but use heavy arrows, around 13 grains per pound of draw weight.
Look forward to hearing your stories.
Toby
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
Jon:  What days are you hunting.  I'm scheduled with Visser at the end of July.
"Live Like You Are Going To Die"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
Ncsturkey, I'm headed over july 12.  Start hunting July 13.  If you're going at the end of July, you may be better off.  Sounds like they have had quite a bit of rain over there.  Still, I can't wait!

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »
Jon, your bow will be plenty.  Use some arrows that are 10 grains/pound or more and you will be fine.  Placement is important and you want the bow you are most comfortable with.  Visser's is a great place and they are great people.  Your shots will be close and the animals good.  I decided to go Moose hunting in BC next year so I wan't be going back until 2008 but I already know what I want.  Make the trip as long as you can so you aren't rushed and can see the sights.  The other thing I would tell you is to have an idea of what you want but be flexible to.  It is amazing how fast your mind will change and resolve waiver when an animal you had no intention of shooting is standing 12 yards in front of you! Good luck, Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks Joseph.  I can't wait!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
Joseph, sounds like you had a good trip also.  What year did you go?

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »
I just went last summer.  My stuff is suppose to be on it's way here as we speak.  That was the best thing I ever did as far as bowhunting goes!  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline phestus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
im going in august with bucholz safari locate in the limpopo area about 3 hours out of johansburg;can t wait i m hunting with 2 50 lb recurves but am upping my usual arrow weight and shooting 2 blade broadheads
phestus

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
I will be going this July for 14 day's with Greater Kuduland Safaris. I will be useing a DAS recurve @ 58# and 550gr Beaman Black Max arrows and a 125gr Magnus with a 75gr steel adapter.

Offline alimoche

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »
I will probably go to Mozambique in september, for the eland,sable,kudu..Its rally a wild hunt,and most of the hunt will be stalking, I think they dont have blinds..

I am taking a64" hornes longbow 61@27# although my father keeps telling me to bring my matthews compound bow, but I love my stick!!

Good luck with your trips, hope you are succesfull.

Sorry for my english,
Pedro

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm going to Melorani in early August for 10 days and will be shooting a 58# Habu Vyperkahn with Axis shafts and 135 grain Magnus I with 45 grain adapters. Total arrow weight will be right at 600 grains. Back up bow will be a Habu Death Adder with 63# limbs with the same arrows. I'm also planning to take my 55# Death Adder limbs and half a dozen wood arrows and give that set up a rip or two.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
I'll be hunting the Limpopo province with Tholo Safaris during the first 2 weeks of August.

I'll be carrying a McCullough Griffin pulling 53# @ 27" and a Boss TD longbow, pulling 54# @ 27." I'm planning to shoot 2018 Legacies with 100 grain steel broadhead adapters and Wensel Woodsman broadheads.

I can't wait!

Ron
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 11:02:00 PM »
i'll be headed over the end of june first part of july to Dries.  been looking forward to this for over a year.  i also booked through Gene.  i just found out my hunting partner is not going to be able to make the trip due to some personal issues and his spot is available. if anyone knows someone that is interested just shoot me an email asap.
>>~>
Rob
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »
Lori and I will be spending a month in RSA June-July, exploring new destinations of uncertain but promising potential in the Eastern Cape and the Karoo. New places, new folks, new critters, new challenges... my kind of trip. Don

Offline kenscollick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »

I will be hunting with Divisser June 26 to July 6 my hunt was donated to the Michigan Bowhunters for their banquet last year.
A fellow named Bennie will be coordinating transportation we will be going to a couple of preserves before the hunt and then I will be touring Kreuger national park for 4 days after the hunt.
Looking forward to the whole experience.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »
Ken i just sent you a PM.  looks like we will be sight seeing and hunting together.  
>~Rob~>
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »
I am booked for July 2007 with Kuduland. Of course Too Short will be there--LOL.  Other than going on a dream hunt and being able to include my girl; hunting with Paul will be 14 days I will not forget.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
I wish I was going again. Does that count?

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
I won't be back until 2008  :(   I will just have to console myself with the hunts in between!  As long as I am able to I think it is going to be an African hunting trip at least every 3 years!!  Not a bad way to spend ones hard earned money!!    :bigsmyl:    Joseph

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©