Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Better late than never.  (Read 4525 times)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Better late than never.
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »
come on Doc!!! Please...  :D    :wavey:  marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
I promise I will get back to the story in the next couple of days.  I have been having trouble with my home computer and am too busy trying to make enough to pay off attorney's fees while I am at work!  Stay tuned.  It's coming with some pics!!!!!

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »
Great story.

I'll be checking back for updates on a daily basis!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
Back to the story...
Later that afternoon after talking to some of the ranch staff, we decided to take a drive down the dry creek bed that traverses a large part of the property.  The trackers told us that they had noticed many kudu and impala restin in the brush along the banks.  I found it interesting that these guys were spending a part of their day just traveling across the ranch observing game.  The drive took us down the rocky creek with banks overgrown with dense brush.  Laying just off the river were numerous animals, primarily kudu and impala, as the guides had suggested.  Much like whitetails in the brush country of Texas, these animals would often remain motionless in the cover as we approached.  When they thought that they had been discovered or when the vehicle stopped, they would bolt for safety.  I had several opportunities to shoot from the vehicle at some nice kudu, but I opted to pass on these opportunities.  I attempted several stalks after seeing game sneaking away from us, but all ended up in the kudu's favor.  What I did discover was that there was ample opportunity to hang stands in this cover and hunt African game in typical whitetail fashion.  Unfortunately my stands were a few thousand miles away.
That evening Danie and I decided to hunt a new stand.  We had been seeing a lot of cheetah tracks in the area and they told me that one particular problem cheetah had been frequenting the area as it was thick with springbok.  The chance to see a wild cheetah hunting prey was hard to resist.  They also needed it killed.  The stand consisted of an elevated blind placed about 22 yards from a concrete water hole. The tank was continuously filled by a well pump as were all of the tanks on the ranch.  This is arid country and there is almost no above ground water during the dry season.  Upon entering the blind, I knew that it was going to be a challenge for me with my longbow.  The hide was long and narrow, and reminded me of a train box car.  When I drew my longbow, my drawing elbow barely grazed the back tarp which enclosed the metal structure.  My bow just narrowly missed the front support.  After adjusting some shooting holes I was able to position myself so that I could safely shoot and arrow without banging my bow off the frame.  I took a couple of practice shots and killed a couple of tree branches that I had focused on along the watering hole.  Now all I had to do was to sit and wait.  The waiting was short lived.  Soon springbok started moving into the area.  One respectable male followed a group of ewes to the tank.  Unfortunately, the wind was being fickle and the animals were nervous.  The ewes drank only briefly before fleeing back to the patriarchal ram.  The scenario played itself out a few times until the ram's own thirst drove him to the hole.  His caution over powered his need for water, however, and he skirted just past the water hole without drinking.  I felt that this was going to be my only chance at him.  Danie sat next to me, camera rolling as I stood and peered through a small slit that we had made in the corner of the blind.  As the ram angled away at about 23 yards, I focused and drew.  My arm bumbed the rear of the blind and the narrow slit played tricks on my depth perception.  I focused harder and released.  The arrow sailed through the ram and stuck in the ground beyond.  I watched him bounce off about 30 yards and peer back at me.  The shot looked high, but had obviously struck the animal...I thought.  He walked cautiously away and I looked desparately with my binoculars to try to find a blood spot on his chest.  Danie asked if I wanted him to finish the animal, but I answered that I did not.  He looked too good to have been hit.  I quickly rewound the video.  The camera clearly showed that the business end of my arrow passed over the ram as he hunched slightly.  The shot was so close that the fletches brushed through his hair and gave the appearance of having struck him.  We watched the ram for over and hour as he fed with his harem in the distance.  Strike one.  
Another hour past, and my rear had become sore from me kicking it so many times.  It was then that Danie noticed a young baboon wathcing the water from a tree 200 yards away.  Slowly, meticulously, a troop of baboons made their way to our position.  They would only move a few yards at a time and never without 2 or 3 scouts first surveying the area closely.  Several warthogs came and went as the baboons made their approach.  Danie cautioned me to be extremely still because the baboons would pick us out if we moved even a little in the darkened blind.  If they spotted us, they were likely to sit back in the trees and scream at us, alerting every other animal to our presence.  We waited.  After nearly an hour a couple of the younger monkeys made their way to the water.  I sat motionless, now standing in the blind, as they drank.  The troop leader, a mammoth of a baboon with large canines evident in his mouth jumped up on the side of an old water tank 30 yards from the concrete pond.  He looked around the area, peered up into our blind, and then approached authoritatively.  Now feeling comfortable of the situation he leaned to drink not even looking around before placing his head to the water.  Again I drew my longbow and stared a hole through his chest.  My fingers relaxed and the arrow flew toward the big primate.  Unfortunately, it blasted into the concrete just below his chest.  2 inches below the mark and everything came apart.  The startled brute screamed loudly and ran from the scene.  Shouts came from everywhere as the frantic troop fled for the safety of the trees.  Once again, the narrow blind had put me out of tilt just enough to throw off my shot.  Strike two.  
The baboons stayed to mock me for nearly an hour.  Danie tried to radio camp to have a vehicle sent so that we could move to another area.  There was no answer so we waited.  20 minutes later as he tried again to reach camp, I noticed a big warthog coming to the water.  His tusks were long and white.  His tail stood above him like a parasol, though it offered little shade.  After testing the wind he ran directly to the water.  He took a quick look around, decided all was clear, then bent at the knees to drink.  Danie had armed the camera and gave me the go ahead.  I drew again and brushed the tarp.  I reset my anchor and tried to focus.  Mentally I was trying to drown out the nuisance of the blind as I picked a spot on the animal's side.  My mental fortitude was lacking as my arrow struck as the foot of the hog, just below his chest.  Fortunately he was unharmed and trotted away from the water hole.  Strike three.  I would not hunt this blind again.  I was not mentally equipped to do it.  I needed a little time at the sand pit to regain what was left of my confidence and sanity.  Ther great thing about Africa is that tomorrow is always a new day.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 11:17:00 PM »
Doc,

You're the master of suspense! You should market this, write a book and sell it to pay off your ex!

Now, we're all waiting for the rest of the story!

TB
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »
TB,
Great idea!  Unfortunately, it would take a NY Times best seller to quench her thirst.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »
Here we go again....
Needless to say, we got the heck out of that blind and spent the last few hours at my familiar water tank blind.  Danie chose to sit in the elevated blind 25 yards to North of the water hole with my camera while I nestled in to my old hole.  I suspect he was tired of hearing my foot bang off of my butt.  The evening heated up immediately as a squadron of guinea fowl made their way to the water.  I had already drilled a couple this trip, but I needed to rebuild my confidence.  A hundred of these birds kicked up dirt around my blind as they chased each other across the sun baked opening.  The temperature was about 85 degrees, cooler than back home in Missouri.  I decided that I would only take a head or neck shot on a guinea rooster.  The only problem was getting one of the buggers to hold still long enough to get anchored and released.  I drew my bow a dozen times only to let down later.  Finally, a big rooster headed straight at me at a dozen yards.  I focused on the comb at the base of his neck and watched as my arrow dispatched the bird.  It was over the instant it began.  The other birds couldn't figure out what had happened, but decided to water somewhere else anyway.  As they left, I went and claimed my prize, as much to get it away from the precious water hole as to boost my morale.  Shortly after things had settled down several young springbok and kudu cows came to water.  The predator in me was still flared up and I drew as they dipped to drink.  Judgement won out, however, and I lowered my bow, happy for now to look at the guinea which hung in European fashion from a nail on the wall of the blind.  As the sun dipped in the horizon, a parade of heartebeast filtered from out of the bush.  I could also see several kudu and gemsbok skirting the edges of the cover.  The animals all approached simultaneously, but the immensity of the heartebeast herd gradually pushed the other animals back.  The herd was nearly 100 animals strong.  I had watched this same herd a couple of days before and knew that their were 2 monster bulls in the group.  I had an opportunity at one of the monsters during my previous encounter, but I had shot my other heartebeast that same day and chose not to take 2 while so many critters were still on my "wish list."    I knew that Danie had the camera rolling as the group approached.  The animals butted heads and chased one another around the area.  The clashing of horns reminded me of watching bighorn sheep battle on the discovery channel.  There was so much to watch that I nearly forgot that I was hunting...nearly.  I meticulously searched the group with my binoculars trying to pick out one of the 2 bulls I had seen before.  I found the first, a large symmetric bull with bases noticeably larger than the others in his group.  I also noticed that none of the other bulls lined up to spar with him.  No one wanted any part of this guy.  The only problem was unless he was standing next to an average bull, I was unable to find any characteristic that made him stand out.  The second large bull was different, though.  His tops curved sharply back, almost at right angles.  He, like the other, was massive and held his mass out to his tips.  I found myself wondering whether his characteristic curves were more appealing to me than the other bulls more typical shape.  My daydreaming was interupted by some commotion at the waterhole.  A bull had caught his horns in some brushed which had been placed to keep the animals from drinking directly facing the blind.  The bull was shaking the branches furiously trying to dislodge them.  I laughed quietly as I watched him finally free himself from the tangle.  It was then that I realized that this was the big guy.  By the time I got set for a shot the bull had trotted of to the safety of the herd.  Bull after bull filtered in and jockeyed for position along the concrete tank.  There were so many thirsty animals that they actually reduced the tank to a mud puddle.  Then, from out of the masses I saw the bent horned bull move to drink.  He pushed his way in among the thirsty crowd and found a spot to drink...perfectly broadside at a dozen yards.  "Focus, focus," I thought to myself.  I had to get my recent misses out of my head.  I found a spot within the "vital triangle."  I could picture the lungs and the top of the heart resting there.  I drew, anchored, and held while my brain ran calculations that I am too simple to understand.  My fingers relaxed when my mind had finished its calculations.  The arrow was off.....

Offline Gopherhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
Your Killin me slowly
I only hunt critters that walk,crawl,slither,fly or swim.  I guess you could say I'm picky.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »
It's an amazing thing to watch an arrow fly it's path, a path willed by a mind which has, through repition, been trained to direct it to a single spot.  In this case the spot was a clump of hairs overlying a pounding heart, and the arrow sailed through both.  The herd of wildebeast scattered at the commotion of their stricken leader.  I could see the arrow hanging by just the nock as he fled towards cover.  He would never make it.  He died within sight only a few yards away from where my other heartebeast had fallen.  I knew that Danie had seen it too from his elevated perch.  It wasn't until the sun had completely given way to the light of the stars that I recieved the only piece of bad news in this chapter of the story.  Danie had been filming the heartebeast since they left the cover of the bush.  He had excellent footage of many of the animals coming to drink, including the footage of the large heartebeast freeing himself from the bush.  Seconds before I had released my arrow however, Danie had decided that I was going to pass on heartebeast that evening and he had turned the camera on some of the sparring animals in the background.  My shot will forever last in my memory, but only there.  We called the trackers to come pick us up.  We would not need them otherwise tonight.  While we waited, Danie pointed out constelations, stars, and planets that are hidden by ambient light in our civilized world.  I started to fear now that I would have to leave this place sometime way too soon.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
I'll try to do this picture thing.  First a picture of the old warrior.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Well, it worked.  Here's another.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
Here's the cheetah.  This guy is alive.  He lives in a big enlosure along with several other wild cheetahs.  This one was raised from a cub.  He still has all of his claws and teeth, though, and he still kills a lot of his own meals.  The freaky part is that when you leave the enclosure you have to pick up a pole and face him as you back out or his instincts get the better of him and he will attack you.  It seems cheetah can't resist the rear side of an animal.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
Whoops.  Wrong picture.  Let me try again.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
Finally!  The baboon was cool a time or two, but it was getting old.  Here is a picture of the water tank hide.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
Some African wildlife pics I took.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »
Wondering where the "vital triangle" was?  Here's a picture of my second heartebeast.  It ranked in the top 7 in the Namibian Record Books.

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 07:09:00 AM »
Beautiful hardebeest,congradulations and thanks for stories.... PS that Impala sure looks good  :)
Like your Freedom.....Thank a VET.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
Awesome!!

Thanks for sharing the tough and good times in your stories. I have to say most of us have been there, and appreciate the bitter and the sweet. Good luck in all you do!

Rich
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »
I am still a few critters short of finishing the story.  I will be fly fishing in south Florida for the next few days, but will be back and fill in some more of the story next week.  In the mean time I will leave a few more pics to get you through.
Here is a picture of my step Dad with his kudu.

Here is most of the gang.  From left to right are our trackers, Elias and Abram, Lukas, me (in the front), Danie, and my step Dad, David.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©