Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Better late than never.  (Read 4524 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Better late than never.
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
wow thanks for sharing! and well done
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »
The next morning I returned to the water tank hide.  I had been seeing some large kudu hanging out in the brush until dark and wanted to slip an arrow into one.  Shortly after sun up I saw some kudu cows approaching cross wind from the hide.  They approached cautiously and began to drink.  I strained to see a bull, knowing that the harem of cows was unlikely to be alone.  Sure enough a mammoth bull slowly emerged from the brush, nosing the air as he approached.  Apparently, one cow was in heat as he kept his nose in her business as much as he could.  He circled the group who were now drinking calmly.  On a couple of occasions he came to broadside at 25 yards.  Both times he turned as I began my draw.  My heart was in my throat as I watched the trophy animal close the distance.  I was sure that he would drink along with the cows.  His mind was on other things, however, and he never came to the hole.  He skirted the edge of the brush sniffing each cow as they filed into the scrub.  He turned sharply away as he headed out.  Danie urged me to shoot at the bull now 30 yards away.  Unfortunately the steep angle of the bull at that distance left me uncomfortable with the shot and I held off hoping he would return for a sip.  It was the last time I saw him.  Two smaller bulls came in to drink later in the morning, but I continued to hold out for a brute.
The evening hunt was dotted with times of  absolute stillness and chaos.  The usual guinea which provided me with constant amusement stayed only briefly.  The sun was hot and the waiting seemed impossible.   I passed the time journaling and reading in the blind.  I watched springbok as they came to drink, but I opted not to shoot.  As darkness approaced I watched as some kudu cows slipped from the brush.  Following closely behind was an average bull.  I hoped that the big bull I had seen that morning would be shortly behind, but he never appeared.  The bull was a shooter and only looked small because of the mental image I still had of the big bull earlier in the day.  I decided that I would shoot him if he approached.
He kept vigil while the cows drank.  I practiced drawing and picking a spot on each cow as she stooped to drink.  Finally the bull approached the water.  At the same time I saw a warthog running to the water's edge.  I could clearly make out large white teeth in the fading light.  Earlier in the day I had watched a very large boar gashing a defenseless tree 50 yards away, obviously marking his territory.  The boar never approached near enough to shoot.  I lifted my binoculars to inspect the hog which was now pushing between the legs of the drinking kudu cows.  I could not tell if it was the same animal, but light was fading quickly and I had to make a decision now.  The kudu bull still stood 25 yards away staring at the water.  If I took the hog I would certainly lose my opportunity at the kudu.  The phrase "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" ran through my mind and triggered my shoulder muscles to begin my draw.  With barely a perceived thought the string was at anchor and I was focused upon the warthog.  A kudu cow nudged him in the rear and he jockeyed for a new spot on the opposite side of the hole.  He bowed his knees and lapped at the water, his entire body now clearly visible.  I found a new focus point just above the near side elbow.  I relaxed my grip and the arrow blew through the hog striking the cement on his opposite side.  Animals exploded in all directions then everything went quiet.  I was unable to see exactly where I had struck the beast due to the waining light.  Danie, who was sitting beside me smiled and handed me the camera.  The footage was clear despite the light.  My shot was good, striking about 2 inches from where I had focused.  It had clearly taken out his lungs.  We called the trackers.  Our cursory exam of the area revealed no blood.  The trackers then began dissecting hoof prints in the sand until they found the track of a running warthog headed in the direction my hog had left.  100 yards later we found our first blood on some high grass.  We continued to follow the steady stream for 200 more yards in the headlights of the land cruiser.  The beast appeared to have fallen in mid stride.  The autopsy revealed he was taken through both lungs.  I had missed his heart by about an inch.  Despite the fatal strike he had managed to cover 300 or more yards before giving in.  Back in camp everyone was in good spirits, and we again celebrated with some South African wine and brandy.  My step father had added a springbok to his list of game taken.  He had now taken 6 amimals and was trading bows and arrows to cover his ever expanding list.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
The next few days were equally eventful.  Some days I took game, some I did not.  Each was equally unique and exciting.  I tried my hand at stalking a couple of more times resulting in me getting deadly close to gemsbok, impala, and heartebeast.  Still the massive eland eluded me.  On my next to the last evening's hunt I watched a big bull oryx approach the water in the last minutes of light.  I had had this scenario play itself out several times only to leave me sitting in the dark by the time the animal made it to the water.  This time, though, rather than standing in the brush until dark the bull decided to drink.  He skirted the edge of the bushes and approached from down wind of the blind.  Thankfully the fully bricked hide held my scent and kept my presence a secret.  The bull seemed quite nervous as he approached.  He muscles twitched and shook as he moved toward the water with a gate that best resembled a foxtrotter.  His contrasting black and white coat made him stick out well in the darkening light.  I strained to pick a spot as I drew my longbow.
I focused and released, but was completely unable to see where my arrow had struck.  The loud smack my 700 grain carbon made was reassurance that it had not missed its quarry.  The night became still and we radioed the trackers.  While we waited we Danie and I began the search.  Again blood was scarce.  We found a few drops 20 yards beyond the waterhole.  We canvased the area and found some tracks which we felt belonged to the beast.  Our search, though, left us empty.  When the trackers arrived 20 minutes later we opted to wait until morning to take up the search.  Oryx are remarkably tough animals and can go a considerable distance when pushed.  As we did not know where I had hit the animal we felt it best to try again in the daylight.  The night was a year long.  I was unable to relax or rest as I thought about all the possible scenarios.  I knew that I had hit bone somewhere given the loud smack.  I also knew that these are tough animals with tough bones.  Morning could not come fast enough.  When morning did arrive, Danie suggested that I go to another blind and hunt while he and the trackers looked for my gemsbok.  It was already dead he assured me and his trackers would find it.  My morning hunt found me watching numerous warthogs and some very nervous springbok from a newly placed blind.  The animals were naturally suspicious of the blind and all of them skirted it on the down wind side.  No adult animals would give me a reasonable shot.  When Danie arrived at 11 AM my stomach sunk.  I could see the disappointed look on his face as he stepped out of the cruiser.  I asked him if they had any luck and he disappointedly replied, "Oh yes we found him, but so did a cheetah.  I am afraid that the cheetah ruined your cape."  I am sure that Danie was surprised to see me so excited.  I ran to the truck to see the nice oryx bull curled within the bed.  His horns were gorgeous, thick and black.  His cape was indeed torn along the neck and chest, but that mattered little to me, especially as Danie volunteered to give me a replacement for free.  He told me that we had walked a few yards past the oryx the previous night.  He was struck squarely in the heart and ran only 100 yards before dying.  The absent light and high grass prevented us from seeing him.  Oddly the tracks around the animal showed that a cheetah had fed on him.  This is unusual as cheetah will only eat very fresh meat.  He surmised that the cheetah was watching the whole show which explained the nervousness the animal displayed.  The cheetah likely began feeding shortly after we left.  Now I had not only my trophy, but a cool story to go along with it.  I was excited about my last evening's hunt which was about to get started.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »
Here's a picture of my gemsbok.

Here is the super tough warthog I took.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
Awesome stories and well told!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2006, 06:25:00 PM »
Doc, the pics are so pretty, love the stories, and I just love ur Longbow, I will order me one as soon as I can swing it. Congrats on a awesome trip!!!! Mark#78...Ps. 700 grain arrow out of what poundage bow ???? thanks, my Lap top is battery power about to crap out LOL , check in the AM...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2006, 08:10:00 PM »
Mark,
I was shooting a 72 pound Dakota longbow.  It was one of Rick's older bows, but he had fashioned a new riser for me just prior to the hunt.  I chrono'd it against my 70# black widow recurve and my 75# hummingbird longbow just prior to leaving and it shot the heavy arrow about 5-10 fps faster than both.

For the few of you still waiting for the end, here goes....
The last day had me feeling sad to be ending my stent in Africa and anxious about returning home.  I knew that my return would be chaotic (though I never would have dreamed how much), but I longed to see my 3 boys.  Still I hated to leave Africa behind.  The few that have been blessed enough to hunt there will understand the feelings that I experienced as I started up my last day in this enchanted place.  The morning was beautiful, like most I had hunted.  I hunted a new stand, still hoping for an opportunity at a zebra or eland.  The African sun greeted me warmly.  The cool morning air slowly gave way to the warm African sun.  Like most mornings, I started in a heavy jacket, but shed the clothes as the sun approached the middle of the horizon.  I basked in its warmth and reflected upon all that I had seen.  For the last time before returning home I listened to the cacauphony of birds and watched the parade of animals as they came to water.  Several species came and went.  Nothing new appeared and I was satisfied catching them both on camera and on video.  Though the African landscape had already etched a place in my memory, I knew that the pictures would fill the hearts of 3 adventurous boys back home.  My morning came and went without me launching an arrow.  I drew on several warthogs and kudu cows as well as a nice springbok who refused to stand still long enough for a well focused shot.  I was content just being there.  These are the moments that truly make me appreciate traditional bowhunting.  I love to take game with my bow, and frankly would use other equipment if I wasn't adept at doing so with my traditional equipment.  But the moments that make a lasting memory within me are the moments when I am able to back away from the self imposed pressure of taking game and just enjoy what is unfolding around me.  There is no better place to do that in my opinion than in Africa, likely the very birth place of human kind.  Like the lion I had observed at Etosha sitting alone on the grasslands, I was unhurried, unpressured, and simply enjoying all that I had been blessed to partake in.  At midday we went back to camp and had a wonderful brunch while discussing plans for our final hunt together.  My step Dad had decided to go to the sister ranch in pursuit of blue wildebeast.  I would return to the water tank hide more to say 'good bye' to an old friend than to take game.  I spent the afternoon journaling my adventures so that my boys would be able to experience it with me some day in the future.  As usual, I saw a variety of animals though the pressure I had placed on this single site was showing some as animals were giving the hole a little more caution.  As darkness began to creep out of the horizon I spoke softly to Danie, thanking him for all that he had done for me during the trip.  Just as we were about to call it quits a shadowy form moved out of the brush just along side of our hide.  Danie strained through the camera lens to capture it on film.  It was a duiker, a female.  It walked out of my frame of view.  The form appeared a few minutes later.  It looked bigger than before.  I lifted my binoculars to discover that a male duiker had now come to drink.  He had noticeable horns and I decided to take a shot.  It was hard to pick a spot on the shadowed form.  Unlike the oryx, this little guy was all brown and picking a spot was difficult in the low light.  I strained to find a shoulder and released.  He ran.  I imagined that I had heard the arrow strike flesh, but I was unsure.  Danie and I reviewed the film footage but the darkness was too much for my camera.  Finally we were forced to do what most hunters do...look for sign.  My arrow lay 10 yards past the waterhole, covered in red blood.  I returned to the spot where the animal was standing and immediately found blood and lots of it.  15 yards away lay my duiker.  As I approached it I realized how diminutive (that is small) the animal was.  I called to Danie and he came to inspect it.  His elation caught me by surprise.  He was ecstatic. At first I thought that he was simply humoring me, but shortly after the trackers arrived to pick us up I realized that this truly was a special kill.  All of the men were extremely excited over my "muey duiker".  In fact, this was the largest duiker that any of them had seen taken with any equipment.  Later the animal would hold the record for the 5th largest ever taken with archery equipment in the country.  My pint sized trophy was the pride of the whole camp.  I was sad to see it all end, but the experience was one which will last in my memories forever.

I will post my final pictures shortly.  Brady

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »
Good stuff,thanks.
Like your Freedom.....Thank a VET.

Offline Gopherhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
Brady,
This is an awsome story.

Mike
I only hunt critters that walk,crawl,slither,fly or swim.  I guess you could say I'm picky.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »
Doc, I never really had a chance to read all of this.  Great stories.  And great bow!  I have had mixed feelings about returning to Africa...I kind of want to buy some land to fuel my biggest passion which is hunting whitetails, but lately, I have been dreaming of Africa again.  I'm thinking of going back.  For those of you who have never done it, I highly suggest that you do whatever it takes to make it a reality.  It really should be experienced by serious bowhunters.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
Jon, Ive talk to Doc several times I have 2 bows to sell then I want RW recurve...I dont know with all I been through if I could ever afford Africa, since Katrina , but I love reading the stories...guys have great Thanksgiving , yes lots to be thankful for ...   :)    Marco#78   :campfire:

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
Happy Holidays to you guys as well.  I am hoping to get back to Africa next summer/fall.  I will be filming video for a new DVD.  The outfitter is going to give us a great rate with no daily fees!  You can't beat that.  I may have room for another hunter, but am not sure yet.  I hope to solidify things by the first part of next year.  If anyone is seriously interested let me know, and I will keep you in mind.  Brady

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »
Thanks Doc , hope that divorce thing is worked out , been divorce sInce 94, I live for my son and DAUGHTER  I to enjoy the outdoors, your difinetly one of the good guys here on the Tgang!...I have read these stories a few times cant wait to see some video! good luck God Bless...mark   :wavey:      :campfire:      :coffee:

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »
Thank you Doc, reading your text I was in Africa

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Stickbenderatwork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Hey Doc, where is Aurora Mo. I'm in NE MO, near Hannibal

Stickbender

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
Stickbender,
Aurora is just west of Springfield.  I love the country up near Hannibal.  Brady

Offline PeteTschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
doctorbrady, thanks for the accounts of your safari.

I had pretty much given up thoughts of hunting africa since realizing I don't handle recoil well anymore (back injury). I have recently taken up trad archery, and your story has inspired me to keep the african dream alive.

thanks, Pete

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Pete,
Stop dreaming of Africa and make it reality.  It is easier...and less expensive than you probably imagined.  It is definitely doable for most folks with a moderate income who is willing to save a little.  Also, I believe it will be much more enjoyable for you with a bow than it ever would have been with a rifle.  You will get to experience a lot more wildlife up close with a bow.  It is the wildlife, after all, that makes Africa so amazing.  The other nice thing is that the shots are close if you get a good outiftter who caters to bowhunters.  You should expect 20 yards and less...with less being the norm.  When you get serious give me a PM and I will give you as much information as I can.  Brady

Offline meatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
Hey friend,
  I cant believe I didnt see your story until today, but perhaps its Karma...its a lot nicer reading today in the midst of the frozen tundra that Ohio has become than it would have been last summer.  Im glad things are finally loking up for you, I know you deserve it.  If you ever get back to WVA and pass through here give me a ring.  I know your vacation time is usually spent on wild, exotic excursions but if you are ever near here in November Ive got some awesome whitetail country to hunt.  My brother now lives on over 80 acres with sole permission to hunt the adjoining 400 acres.  I left your phone # at work the last time you called and it got mixed into my paperwork from there....which always ends up in the "round file".. :) .  If you ever get around to it either email me or call me.  I havent been working in the bow shop but was recently called about it.  Currently I am still working and have started college full time so there just isnt time for it.  

Talk to you later,
mike
As the one hiker said to the other, "I dont have to outrun that Grizzly, I only have to outrun YOU"!

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Mike my friend,
I am glad you enjoyed the story.  I will be headed back along with my beautiful new hunting partner (Yes, it's a girl.  I know how you guys think).  It's hard to believe it has been 2 years since then.  I am tickled to return, and everyone here will get the scoop first.  Oh yeah, you got mail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©