Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Help..NO Longbow in RSA?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
Help..NO Longbow in RSA?
« on: June 06, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »
Hi All:

I just received a message from my outfitter telling me that by law I am not permitted to use a longbow or recurve is South Africa. We booked this trip more than a year ago and at that time discussed with the outfitter that we would be shooting longbows and recurves. Now he is telling us that traditional bows are not legal. Is there any truth to this?

Have the laws changed as a result of the recent legislatition regarding bowhunting of dangerous game?

The PH is also suggesting that we consider hunting only with firearms becasue August in Limpopo province isn't a good time to bowhunt. Then why didn't he tell us that when we booked the hunt...!

To say I'm upset is an understatement!

Ron
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help..NO Longbow in RSA?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »
I read something about this several months ago, but I didnt know it was made into law yet! Man! that really sinks , good luck...Mark#78  :saywhat:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Sorry but that sounds very very fishy. I do believe that on the "books", bowhunting plains game is not deemed "legal" however it is a law that has been in place for a very long time, and hasn't been changed, but I have never heard of it being enforced. There is new talk of banning "Canned Hunts" that I know of.

As far as August being a bad time to bowhunt Limpopo? I think your outfitter is just more interested in getting you to pick up a rifle.

These are very bad indicators of how your hunt may go, I would suggest that you don't throw good money after bad, and get out now.

Sorry
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
Ron,
I have to agree with Wayne.  It sounds like your outfitter is trying to pull a fast one on you.  Most of the guys on this site who have hunted Africa have hunted SA, with sticks.  I have only hunted Namibia, but I can assure you that August in this region of Africa is prime time.  It is to the outfitters advantage to have you take up a rifle and begin gunning down a lot of game as you pay for each animal taken.  It also makes their work a whole lot easier.  I would do whatever you can to get out of this deal now and scramble to rebook with a different outfitter.  There are many of us on this site that can help you with suggestions as to who.  This should be the hunt of a lifetime.  You shouldn't settle for anything less.  Brady

Offline S Meyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »
Hello All.

I think there is a scramble by outfitters to comply with laws now that the laws may change. I have done some research on this subject and while I don’t know nearly enough yet here is what I do know.

Bow hunting is legal if you have a permit. The bow referred to is a compound bow, but I know of a few people who use Recurve- and long bows. I even know of one guy who hunts with a big knife. The laws as I have found them are thus:

1.    Subject to the provisions of this Ordinance, no person shall hunt game with-
a.   a weapon which, after it has been discharged automatically reloads and fires when the trigger thereof is pulled or held in a discharged position;
b.   a weapon discharging a rimfiring cartridge of ,22 of an inch or smaller calibre;
c.   a shotgun;
d.   an air-gun,
unless he is the holder of a permit which authorizes him to do so: Provided that-
v.   any person may hunt a hare or a bird with a shotgun;
vi.   the owner of land or a relative of his may with his permission hunt game, excluding specially protected game, with any firearm on the land of the owner.
2.   Any person who contravenes or fails to comply with subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence.
The process for obtaining a license for a client from over seas is the responsibility of the outfitter as far as I can determine. My advice is that it would be best to change to an outfitter that does take bow hunting clients if possible. Do not tell this person that it is a traditional bow, only a bow.

August is the end of hunting season. Game will be more difficult to stalk and will be wary of water holes. There will also be added pressure on the hunter to fill up the quota on the farm. Hunting has been becoming more and more expensive over the last few years (I can’t afford to hunt this year). With the lack of local clients, the operators may try to use foreign clients to take animals that are now not being taken by local clients. This is all worst case news. I don’t want to scare anyone, but there are many operators and the one or two that are bad are really bad. The hunting industry is not doing very well at the moment. I know of two farmers who had to sell their land because it just wasn’t worth the trouble any more.

I will supply information as I find and confirm it.

Stefan

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »
I think you have an outfitter problem. Bowhunting has always required a special permit which the PH routinely obtains... nothing has changed. I have hunted RSA numerous times with longbows and recurves. Assuming you are not hunting a cramped, limited area where the game has been rendered spooky by over-hunting, August is a great time to hunt. As the popularity of bowhunting increased in southern Africa, many inexperienced operators jumped on board and some of them just don't have any real bow experience, especially on the traditiional side. Because they don't know how deadly our tackle can be, they feel insecure with it. During my trips in the early days, I did an awful lot of educating on the subject, but I have never had an experienced PH tell me anything like what you have heard. Hate to say it, but this makes a good argument for booking through an experienced agent who has done the homework... that's why I keep making these exploratory trips. Your hunt sounds like a losing proposition to me. BTW, I leave in two weeks for a month in RSA and you know what I will be carrying. Don

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
I am hunting Limpompo province late July on a bowhunting only comcession. I agree with earlier posts, sounds like an outfitter problem.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for all of the great advice. I'm in negotiations with the outfitter now. I don't want to reveal anymore information until this is resolved. I'll let you know how everything turns out. Again, thanks for the information you have provided...it's been very helpful!

Ron

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »
PURE, UNADULTERATED HAWG WASH!  THE LANDOWNER IS FREE TO DETERMINE WHAT HE WILL OR WON'T ALLOW.  SOMEONE IS SMOKING SOME STRANGE STUFF.  I'D SAY YOU HAVE A SERIOUS OUTFITTER PROBLEM.  GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND GO WITH SOMEONE MORE RELIABLE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE WITH BOWHUNTING!

TOO SHORT
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »
Too Short,

Thanks for the firm reply. I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately canceling my hunt isn't that simple. This hunt was purchased at an SCI auction and paid in full.

I went to SCI for help and they sided with the outfitter, saying that primitive weapons, including longbows and recurves are illegal in SA.

I am at my wits end here. I have scoured the internet for specific regulations pertaining to hunting implements and haven't found much.

Last night I sent the outfitter dozens of refernces to traditional bowhunting in SA, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate any and all help that you can provide.

Best,
Ron

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »
Well, things have finally come to a head with the outfitter. After sending him dozens of references to traditional bowhunting in SA, he finally responded with a terse e-mail that included a copy of the "Special Conditions" section taken from some larger document, but he didn't indicate what document that was.

Clause number 12 of the Special Conditions states:

"Only a compound crossbow with minimum draw-mass of 45 kg,or a compound long bow with minimum draw-mass of 22.7 kg may be used."

Given this unambiguous statement of equipment restrictions, I don't understand how other outfitters are able to offer traditional bowhunts. They must either ignore the clause or have found some loop hole.

In any case, it seems that negotiations with the the outfitter are over. It looks like I'll be hunting with a compound or not at all. Hopefully I can borrow one from a friend, as I haven't owned or shot one in close to 15 years. If it weren't for family and friends also booked on this hunt, I'd bail out so fast it would make your head spin.

Ron

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
Nyron, Lets hope some of our African friends can tell you what document this is being quoted from. My guess is that it is from the South African game regulations which pertains to Government Concessions and Tribal hunting grounds not private ranch property. Try emailing someone at SCI's Africa Office at [email protected] and ask them whom you could contact to clarify the facts for you. You could also ask them for email info for African Proffessional Hunters Association someone there should beable to help you.
hunt it

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
David,

I've already inquired with SCI's Africa office. They were of no help at all, stating that primitive weapons, including longbows and recruves were prohibited in SA.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Ron

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 10:54:00 AM »
Nyron,

Are you an SCI member? If so, dig out a magazine and look under measurers - look under south African measurers for a guy called Jaques Horack (SP) but close. He was on the South African Advisory Board for some time that regulated the use of bows. He may still be involved, if not he can tell you whats up as he knows the bow regulations inside out. He is a judge, so he knows the law. I met him and took some broadheads over for him on one of my visits back in 97. Im at work and have no magazines around office. If you are not a member let me know and I can look it up tonight and get info for you.
hunt it

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
David,

Many thanks for your help. I am not an SCI member, so I don't have access to the magazine. I would very much appreciate contact information for Jaques.

Thanks,
Ron

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »
Nyron,

Sorry, I got busy yesterday and had to run. I did not check posts. I will get info tonight and post it Thursday am for you.
hunt it

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
All:

Many thanks for the information and offers of support.

With only 3 weeks to spare the situation is finally resolved. I'll be carrying my longbow and smiling all the way to the blind. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Thanks,
Ron

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »
Ron, would you mind telling us about your resolution? Just curious...
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
Hi All:

Several of you have asked if I could give an update on what happened with my hunt and whether I was able to use a longbow.

As it turns out, my difficulties were unrelated to South African hunting laws as originally described to me by my outfitter. The outfitter was simply not keen on my using traditional equipment because he had a bad experience with a previous client. Instead of telling me this up front, he used the excuse that traditional bows are illegal in SA. When I called him on it, he had to relent and permit me to use a longbow. In the end everything worked out fine and I took some beautiful animals, including two dandy Kudu bulls, a bull Gemsbok, and a Klipspringer. I made what I thought was a good hit on an Impala, but sadly we never recovered the animal.

Below are some pics...I hope. This is the first time I've tried posting pictures so we'll see if this works.

Ron

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
That is what I call a successful hunt. Congats on a job well done.  :wavey:    :wavey:    :wavey:    :wavey:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©