Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: New bow, arrow & broadhead recomendations  (Read 1371 times)

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New bow, arrow & broadhead recomendations
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
Received my new Pronghorn TD longbow bow last week, looking to work up a new arrow and broadhead combination for African Safari for plains game late July (first time), What arrow weight, head weight, broadhead would you all recomend. Shoot 57#@27.5" draw, would like arrow 29-30". Thanks
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow, arrow & broadhead recomendations
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
I would try a 600 grain arrow, total weight.  Whatever combination of shafts and broadhead that flies best.  As far as Broadheads goes the one that flies best and that you can get the sharpest.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks Joseph, I was thinking about 10 gr/in, my first arrow came out 550 grain with 150 gr point, will increase point weight and begin shortening again, or just a a weight tube in the shaft.

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »
You're making a mistake on your arrow length!  Trust me on this.  If you draw 27.5" then your arrow should be cut 28" to B.O.P. (back of point).  When you have arrow hanging off the front of your bow, you are affecting spine.

I was just in OZ bowhunting with a buddy and he was having arrow flight problems, big time.  He had three inches of shaft too much.  We cut three inches off and the arrows flew flawlessly.

I would recommend between 600-650 grains of total arrow weight.  I have hunted Africa 15 times, so I have some experience.  I recommend only one broadhead...the 135 grain, wide Magnus two blade.  You will get a super blood trail with it and the heads are the finest I have ever used.  The exception to this is animals like Cape Buffalo.  For them, you want the narrower 125 grain Magnus.

I hope this helps...

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
My first advice would be not to try anything "new". Assuming you are hunting plains game, penetration isn't going to present any exceptional problems. Anything adequate for North America will do the job. Accuracy counts far more than ballistics, so use what you're comfortable with and shoot well. I'm leavng Sunday for my 12th trip to Africa, and I'm spending my time making sure I can hit the hair I'm aiming at, not weighing my arrows. Don

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »
How bout SilverFlame's. Any user's.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
I'm tryin SilverFlame 210s this year...not going to Africa though!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
Silver flames look like a very well made, durable head, but the 1.5" cutting diameter on the Magnus I sold me.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
I've never hunted Africa, but IMO, Don said it all.  

Most any broadhead will get the job done if (a) you hit the animal in the right spot and at the right angle, and (b) the blades are *razor sharp*.  I'd stick with whatever arra weights work well from the bow(s) that're to be used bow as long as the arras fly reasonably well and remain consistent, though 10gpp is a good starting point ... and I like really high FOC arras.  

Good luck, have a Great Hunt!    :)        :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Thomas:
My first advice would be not to try anything "new". Assuming you are hunting plains game, penetration isn't going to present any exceptional problems. Anything adequate for North America will do the job. Accuracy counts far more than ballistics, so use what you're comfortable with and shoot well. I'm leavng Sunday for my 12th trip to Africa, and I'm spending my time making sure I can hit the hair I'm aiming at, not weighing my arrows. Don
Oooo, wish I wuz going!  Go get'em Don!  Have a fab hunt!  Bring back good stories and pix!    

:wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
I have been using Silver Flames 180gr for over year now. Great broadhead, second to none! They can be hard to sharpen. You will never get the factory edge back without hollow grinding. However, the best tool I have found so far is a Redi Edge carbide sharpener that I got at Cabellas. I have tried five or six different carbide tools, diamond hones and ceramic rods. None of these came anywhere close to what the Redi Edge did. So, if you try them, get yourself a Redi Edge. They are awesome heads but most folks laugh at the price. My theory is if you are going to spend hundreds or thousands on a hunt another couple of hundred for the sharpest broadheads on earth is a good investment. There is no question that out of the package these are by far the sharpest edge you will ever find!! They will not shave hair!! They take the skin off as well if you try it.
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©