Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Baboons?  (Read 3894 times)

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baboons?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 01:07:00 AM »
I'm pretty amazed that a baboon was able to whip two pit bulls.  I used to raise a few of 'em, and seems like nothing smaller than a cougar on this continent could whip one.  I know 50 pounders will whip 150lb breeds like they are poodles.  The fact that a baboon could whip two at once tells me that baboons are bad hombres!!!!
Paul
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »
I will have to dig out an old book I have, written by an American who spent many years living and hunting in Africa in the very early 1900's. It devotes 2 chapters to baboons, and describes how vicious and cunning they can be. In particular, he relates how he thought he was going to make a living collecting the bounty on baboons, because they were everywhere. He killed a few at long range with a rifle, but in the end, they began to hunt him...it was a chilling story. I will dig it out and post the title and author.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
I remember hearing about a guy (who shall remain annonymous in case I'm wrong on the details) who shot a baboon.  Upon recovering it, when he started to drag it out to the truck, he naturally just grabbed it by the "hand"... I heard it was a "disturbing" experience as in: "What did I just do?" I guess that would be kind of weird...

Offline S Meyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
The most disturbing thing to me about shooting baboons is that if you do it with a small caliber rifle or a handgun: The bullet won’t always go right through. If you shot the baboon in the abdomen, they are intelligent enough to know that there is something wrong so they will often try to get at the thing that is hurting them. They then proceed to pull out all of their intestines. Not something you want to see. Not if you plan on eating again that day.

Offline Bowkill II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »
I like the way Capstick deals with those baboons!!!

Offline oneshot1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
I have heard the painting story also, and also that the killing of baboons is taboo to some cultures and the trackers quit on a guy who shot one.

Offline Plover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Being a rancher, I've had my fair share of baboon trouble, and believe me, most of the tales you hear about baboons can be believed, for they are the devil incarnate. As for painting, it very cruel and in the present conservation clime in South Africa, some one caught painting a baboon can find himself in deep water. About twenty years or more ago we had a native staying on the ranch who believed that feeding a baboon brought good luck, and so proceded in feeding one of them, a big silver backed male, at a fixed time every day this native would go up to a "koppie" (a small stony hill) and feed this male, this went on for allmost a year, when one day he took his grand daughter with him and this day the baboon was not intrested in the food but wanted the young women, and the lord only know what would have happend to her if one of the other ranch hands armed with an old 303 rifle was'nt near by.  :mad:
If a man limits what he will do, he limits what he can do

Offline Plover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
I've hunted troublesome baboons with rifle and bow over the years and found them to be worthy pray, for if you hunt on foot like my self, you will need all the bush craft skills you can muster. I found that onece you have killed the "brand wag" (the troop leader)you can easily kill 3 to 4 baboons more in the confusion, and after that they normally leave the area for a long time.  :thumbsup:
If a man limits what he will do, he limits what he can do

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
question?  just how are you supposed to catch one of these baboons to paint him without getting chewed to pieces?  

Doc it looks like we have something to film for sure. you painting a baboon

:smileystooges:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline JM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
I will have to dig out an old book I have, written by an American who spent many years living and hunting in Africa in the very early 1900's. It devotes 2 chapters to baboons, and describes how vicious and cunning they can be. In particular, he relates how he thought he was going to make a living collecting the bounty on baboons, because they were everywhere. He killed a few at long range with a rifle, but in the end, they began to hunt him...it was a chilling story. I will dig it out and post the title and author.
Were you able to find the title of that book I'd love to read it?

:bigsmyl:  
Thanks.

Offline S Meyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
My grandfather had a baboon that he caught when it was young. He raised it and it and was like his trusty guard dog until he married my grandmother. He soon had to choose between the two. He would sometimes, as a treat for the baboon, bring it a bag of sweets as a gift. The baboon, having a sweet tooth, loved these candies very much. My grandfather, never one to pass up the chance of pulling a practical joke on someone, would sometimes hide a small rubber snake in the brown paper bag from the candy store. Hans, as the baboon was known, would grab the bag and run up his pole, open the bag, start feasting and then promptly fall off the pole and go hide behind my grandfather.

I have heard several stories about baboons stealing children but I have never been able to confirm any of these stories. I first heard the paint method from a citrus farmer, or his grandson to be more precise. They did great deal damage to his orange trees. At first he shot them but they soon learn that the sound of a vehicle means trouble so he then resorted to traps. They were too clever for that too, unless he used very thick wire snares, which meant as often as not he would find a severed paw as the only sign of failure. A nearby game ranger then described the paint method to him if that is to be believed. The farmer in question then acquired a large metal cage used mostly for trapping leopards. You could then spray the paint through the mesh of the cage. Crueler than a bullet, less impact than poison, cheaper than a professional varminter. Or a cannon. He later bought his grandson a .243 with a large telescope to control the population. Apparently using bullets with thin jackets would not so much kill them as make them explode. From as far as 200 yards away.
I recently learned that the farmer lost his farm to land claims, along with a few of his neighbors so the baboons need not fear paint anymore, although I understand the current owner has ceased all commercial farming and is now living off the land, so baboons are back on the menu. So it goes.

Killing the brandwag will cause the troop to fall into complete confusion. A hunter would do well to start with the largest male in the troop, as this will keep the troop from launching an effective counter attack, meaning they won’t hunt you down and bite you legs off. They will also never abandon a baby baboon, so don’t get between them and a baby unless ammo is not a problem.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
I plan on shooting one when I go next year
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline sparrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Just returned from my first trip to SA. Baboons gave me the creeps! I couldn't shoot one. Others in my group did though. Too intelligent, and they had me outnumbered. I like the idea of leaving them as scouts to bring in things with horns and stripes.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
I just watched a NG production on TV about lions. In one scene a larg male baboon nabs a newborn impala. He runs up a tree, calmly pets the little citter and sinks his 2 inch fangs into the spine of the bleating fawn. Yeah, don't think I'll have trouble slinging an arrow their way when I go. The trophy fees are cheap and there is no shortage.
Mike Davenport

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Contributor 2007
Member # 2412

posted 22-06-2007 13:26                          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
question? just how are you supposed to catch one of these baboons to paint him without getting chewed to pieces?

Doc it looks like we have something to film for sure. you painting a baboon

Don you get my vote for being related, but i'm thinking Paul might be a little closer in size....

--------------------
>~Rob~>
_ _________________________________ _

WARNING ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS IRON CLANNGERS!!!
Well the best way to do this is to get a bag of ripe oranges and then get the cheapest, nastiest & strongest sippin liquer in the bottlestore. Inject liquer in large amounts into the oranges, sit back and wait for the big  male to asert his  autority and eat as much as he can and pass out.  Do the  paint job really quickly and get out of there! (Note you dont have to paint the whole beast, back and face will do!)
Sippin liquer can be substituted with horse tranqueliser, maybe a safer option!
3 weeks later we heard from another rancher 30 miles away how a mad pack of baboons chased by a red and yellow baboon had come through his farm at 100mp/h! Problem solved!
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline fish theotherone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
now thats funny!
one day ille get to flatirons place!

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
AWSOME THREAD

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
This is my favorite thread that I have ever read on Tradgang.

Not sure if I would shoot one.  It could go either way.  I would love however to see a video of that painted Baboon!
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline danlevoyageur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2007, 04:54:00 AM »
Hi,
I shot two baboons last May,the smaller attack my guide in the bush,When you are near a blind and when you see 40 or 50 baboons coming,you are sure that you can't see others animals,the babbons are not afraid and they attack small impala (males baboons are most agressive than female).
I try to put pictures
Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©