Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Thank You  (Read 1346 times)

Offline camp thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank You
« on: June 27, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »
to all those that have been to Africa, many thanks for your posts, they have been very informative and entertaining. my wife and i leave for our first trip to Africa in sept. 07.
i taking a compound and backing that up with a recurve, mostly for birds and lil critters.
seems i can hit the lil targets but really mess up on the bigger ones with my recurve, i know it's me and the space between my ears, but my confidence just isnt there .
please keep the stories coming.
also what type of gear and clothes did you pack?
i'm trying to convince my wife that all she needs is a carryon bag, not going so well though.
why is it that women travel for 10 days they need 3 outfits a day? heck i was planning on 3 changes for the whole trip and that includes my camo.
thanks
Hunt of a Lifetime " making dreams come true"

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thank You
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »
You are right about the clothes.  Almost all outfitters wash your clothes daily, so 2 or 3 changes is all you need.  A light jacket is typically a good idea depending on the area that you are hunting.  It is suprisingly chilly in their winter months.  Keep up the work with the recurve.  With some good instruction and over a year to practice you could be well prepared to take plains game with a stickbow.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
If you are doing good with little targets but not big ones that could mean you are shooting at the whole animal.  You need to visualize a spot the size og the small targets you can hit on the bigger one.  Like Doc Brady said you still have a year to practice.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »
DEFINATELY take a jacket! I took a fleece vest and the morning ride in the open air was COLD. The girls went to town the 2nd day but try to find a 5XL jacket in south Africa :-(
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 07:11:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with shooting a compound if that's what you need to do to cleanly kill animals. I have a similar "between the ears issue" and bought a compound to take with me for the same reason. But, like the other guys said you've got a year to work it out. Good luck with your wait; my two year wait is nearly over and two weeks from now I'll be at Melorani.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »
camp thunder i just got back from a 10 day hunt. i was in south africa 3 hours from joberg. the temps were in the 30's at night and early morning and they made up to the 70's during the day. i had a fleece vest and two sets of hunting clothes. for camp i had 2 sets of casual clothes with a fleece jacket for nights around the camp fire. they washed clothes every day so i didn't need any more. i was able to get all of my clothes, td bows and arrows in a large cabelas duffle. i had one carry on bag and my camera bag.  

as for your choice of bow, just remember most if not all of your shots will be under 20 yards. keep practicing but don't fuss if you need to hunt with your compound. your choice of equipment doesn't make you a hunter, that comes from inside. 07' will be here before you know it.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©