Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: missing africa already  (Read 3724 times)

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
missing africa already
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:56:00 AM »
just returned home from 14 days in south africa and i'm wishing is was back there already. i hunted with Dries Visser in their mountain camp outside of Thabazimbi.  the landscape there is beautiful and game is abundant. my PH, Gerhard Van Vuuren, was excellent as was the entire staff there. since i could write a book about my hunt i will take it day by day if anyone is interested in reading it?  

Day 1: the hunt begins.  after spending 17 plus hours on a plane it was nice to just sit with my legs stratched out gazing out into the african bush.  the morning sun was not long above the horizon and the temp was a cool 40 degrees. being able to see my breath in june was something i had not had the pleasure of doing prior to this hunt. the native people said it was cold, but to me it was like sitting in my tree stand on a brisk fall morning back at home waiting for whitetails. heaven!

after getting everything ready in blind my PH pulled out a plastic bag of zebra dung and situated  enough pieces in a line to last several hours. i had not be warned of this tactic to mask human scent but became familure with it real quick.  if you have not sat in an enclosed blind whith zebra dung burning, it's a real treat. NOT!  

after several hours in the blind the PH said that things were really slow most likely due to the heavy rains the previous month and the very cold temps. if this was slow he could have fooled me.  being used to seeing one or two deer a day back home this was non stop action.  we had already seen 3 eland to include a very nice bull.  i had not had eland on my wish list for my first trip so i opted to pass on a 10 yard shot on this huge animal.

day 1 of the hunt ended with no arrows loosed, but with lots of game observed.  the day was capped off with an outstanding dinner of african fare and i drifted off to sleep with dreams of the morrow.

Day 2 arrived early, especially with the 6 hour time difference that i had not fully adjusted to at this point.  not long after sunrise i found myself sitting in a tree stand overlooking a water hole.  the sweet aroma of zebra dung was already filling the inside of the tree house.  

it didn't take long for the first animals to show.  a tribe of baboons were making their way back into the mountains after raiding the alfalfa fields during the night.  quick tip: when baboons are with in your sight don't even blink an eye.  they will see you and they don't mind letting every other animal for miles know that you are there.  

the sun was well above the tree tops and the baboons had moved out of the area when i spotted movement well out in front of the blind.  before i could even point out the location of the movement my PH informend me that it was a herd of blue wildebeest heading out way.  since this was one of the animals that i had on my wish list and dreamed about taking my heart rate increased right away.  

the cows appeared first and took their sweet time making their way towards the water.  30 minuted had passed since i first spotted them and they were still a 100 yards out and in no hurry to drink. i was so focused on watching them that i had not noticed the 5 warthogs that had made their way into the water from behind the blind. a sow and 4 little pigs.  mamma pig watched as the 4 little ones kneeled on their front legs to drink.

this must have eased the minds of the wildebeest as they began to filter in 1 by 1.  the 4th animal to come in looked like a huge bull to me, but i was quickly schooled on the difference as my PH spotted a very nice bull standing in the shadows out about 150 yards.  what i had thought was a nice bull was actually a cow.  thank goodness for my PH because i would have shot this animal for sure as it was much bigger than any whitetail i had taken.  

the big bull started in and my heart kicked it up a few beats.  at 50 yards he decided he didn't like something and made a U-turn.  this bull could just not make up his mind and came in only to turn and go back out no less than 4 times before finally making the decision to drink.  this was his fatal mistake as he came in and gave me a perfect 15 yard broadside shot.  

my 56# morrison made it to full draw effortlessly and no sooner had the PH said take him the arrow was on it's way.  the shot looked perfect to me hitting right in the crease behind the shoulder. the white feathers disapeared as the bull lunged and left in a cloud of dust a long with the rest of the herd of 15-20 animals.  using my binocs i could see my arrow sticking in the ground where the bull had been standing and the once white feathers were now bright red signifying a good hit.

to me the hit was perfect, but to vetran african hunters you know how tough the game is here. we or should i say the trackers followed this animal for 5+ hours before giving up the track due to darkness.  back at camp we made the plan for the following moring.  the trackers and PH were huddled in conference while i sat back and re lived the shot over and over in my mind trying to figure out what i had done wrong.  

Day 3 shortly after a hardy breakfast of bacon and eggs we headed out to once again take up the track.  i must say at this point i was feeling really down and didn't have a good feeling about this animal much less my hunt.  loosing my very first animal was just not an option i wanted to deal with. after two hours of beating the bush i had sunk into a real funk. i was about to tell the PH that i would walk every inch of bush until i found this animal, even if it took my entire hunt, when i heard the radio crack with an excited voice. not understanding any words other that "dankie" (thank you) i was an excited wreck waiting to get the translation from my PH.  "they have him" "they found your wildebeest". after some hoops and high fives we made our way to the trackers.

i was all smiles sitting by this awesome animal. my first african hunt and i was going hime successful  even if i didn't see another animal.  not likely but at this point it would not have mattered. i was on cloud nine.  after photos and giving the trackers my appreciation we headed back to the skinning shed to see what went wrong with the shot.

i was using a 56# morrison longbow, carbon express arrows tipped with a wensel woodsman.  the arrow entered 1/3 up and right in the crease behind the shoulder and passed through both lungs exiting out the opposite side. this animal had traveled close to a mile before expiring.  are african animals tough with a strong will to live. you bet!

the best thing about this hunt was that i was joined by my 10 year old son.  he was getting to experience the safari with his dad and that all by itself was worth the cost of the trip and now we had our first african trophy to add to the lifetime of memories this hunt would create.

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: missing africa already
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
Good story. More installments coming?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm getting the bug again, badly.  There is no such thing as a once in a lifetime trip to Africa.  It's kind of like eating a dorito, one is never enough!

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »
Vissers do make your experience magical!! I was there last summer and have been longing to go back ever since I returned.  Right now it looks like it will be 2009 as I have another new love in my life called Australia!! Life is tough some times  :bigsmyl:  how does one decide where to go next.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
i will be adding my day 3 hunt details a little later.  Joseph i read your thread last year and i couldn't wait to go afterwards. Australia will be on the horizon after a few more trips to africa.
Rob
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
Day 3: after lunch, wildebeest burgers, we decided to try for a nice impala ram. i'm sure it sounds crazy to say that i was going to try for a specific animal. especially since you never know what might show up in front of you when hunting africa. impala was on my wish list and my PH said that he knew where some very nice rams had been spending a lot of time, so that was the plan. a short drive to a near by concession and we had arrived at the blind.

it was a beautiful day with a bright blue african sky. the temp was around 65 degrees and there was  a light breeze blowing in my face. good for me, bad for any critters that happened to stop by.  

the smoke from burning zebra dung was filling the blind quicky as i sat back and began the wait that wouldn't be that long.  within 10 minutes the first visitors of the day had arrived. the sounds made by these african birds was unmistakeable. they remind me of turkey our turkey, not in size but the way they act and fly. i was told that when you have guinea fowl around it's a good thing and i'm a believer.

it wasn't long after they arrived that a herd of impala started heading my way and there were at least 3 nice rams in the group. as quiet as possible i moved into shooting position and made ready for the shot.

for some reason time is next to impossible to keep track of when you are watching an animal that you intend to kill. it seemed like an hour had passed since i first spotted the impala and they were still slowly making their way to my location. finally after probably only 5-10 minutes they were coming in.  first the youngest animals and then the ewe's followed by a few smaller rams.  the big boys were haning out 50-75 yards whatching the other enjoy a cool drink.  

before i knew it a nice ram had slipped in and was sucking up water. i got the nod from my PH and the arrow was on it's way.  the entire herd bolted in a cloud of dust and i found it hard to stay focused on the ram that i had shot. the hit was back thanks to a leg on one of the chairs we had in the blind. i heard the crack when i released but wasn't sure what had happened until reviewing the video taken  by the PH. fortunately for me the shot hit one of the main arteries and the ram went down for good after only 35 yards.

talking about a high tension hunt, my heart was still pounding even after walking up to the expired animal. he was beautiful with long curving horns and a golden hide.  

day 3 ended with my second african animal and more fond memories to cherish for the rest of my life. the red heart flowed around the camp fire that night while we shared stories from past hunts and talked of future adventure.
>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »
Day 4: day 3 was awesome, no way could it be topped or so i thought.  we had decided the night before while sitting around the camp fire that we would give the blesbok we had seen on day one a try. this would be mostly a spot and stalk day and with the think fog and steady breeze i had a very good feeling about the outcome.  

it wasn't long after arriving at the concession that we had spotted some really nice wildebeest.      

the herd crossed the red dirt road in front of the vehicle and spead apart as they moved into some flat brushy terrain that reminded me of a hog hunt in south texas a few years ago.  we stopped the vehicle and watched as the last of the herd made their way across and into the thick  brush.

i had already taken my wildebeest so these animals were safe from this hunter. i was much more interested in the group of blesbok standing off in the distance seemingly unaware of our presence. after looking the group over with the binos we decided that there were at least 3 nice bucks in the bunch and the hunt was on.  

the fog was a plus but these animals were not going to be a push over. after about 30 minutes of playing hide and seek i had moved into about 75 yards from the closest buck. this would be as close as i could get. the alarm sounded and the entire herd was off and running.    
this group had run off but there were blesbok every were and i was still very positive about the outcome.  

for this hunt i had grabbed my 66# silver tip TD recurve knowing that the shot might be a little father out than what the shots from the blind tend to be. i had been shooting almost every day since march and felt confident that i could make the shot if it presented itself.

two more stalks were attempted with similar results. these animals reminded me a lot of the pronghorn that i had hunted in colorado a few years ago.  they use their eyes and trust what they see.  

the fog was gone, the sun had cleared the horizon a few hours before and the temperature was climbing when we spotted another group of nice bucks. there were 7 in this group with 3 very nice animals. they were working their way towards a water tank according to my PH so we decided to get in front of them and set up in hopes they would wander by in route to drink.  

we hunkered down in some thick brush, thorn tangles is more like it. i had a good shooting hole to my left and straight out in front. now all that was left to do was sit, wait and hope. it wasn't long before my PH spotted the first blesbok headed our way. things were looking good so i readied myself in the event i was presented a shot.

the first 3 filed by just out of range. i was beginning to think we were going to be close but not close enough. should i chance an attempt at moving with the last 4 bucks no where in sight. nope sit tight and be patient. it's a good thing i didn't move as the rest of the group were only about 50 yards away and headed straight for us.

my palms were getting sweaty and my mouth was dry as they came ever closer. i was thinking to myself if they keep on the same course they will walk by only a few feet away. as they approached from behind they had veered off slightly and were now about 20 yards off to my left. just about 10 more yards and they would be in my shooting lane.

i very slowly raised my bow and prepared for the shot. my PH wispered to take the last buck as he was the biggest by far. at 25 yards they all stopped and looked my way. the last buck was standing perfectly broadside in the clear. it was now or never. i picked a hair, came to full draw and then the arrow was gone.  

i watched as the arrow disapeared right behind the bucks front shoulder. it was like someone yelled fire in the middle of the movie theater as the bucks bolted in different directions. with in seconds they were all out of sight. we waited a few more minutes and walked to where the buck was standing at the shot.

it didn't take long to locate my crimson red arrow in the broom straw and the blood trail was so obvious even i could follow it. even with a perfect hit this animal traveled a good distance. just more proof of the will to live and the toughness of african game.

at the end of the blood trail we found my buck. what a beautiful animal the blesbok. my PH was beside himself after getting his hands on this bucks horns. i'm not a trophy hunter by any means, but when my PH pulled out his tape and started reading the tape i knew this buck was special.

after stretching the tape out on both horns my PH smiled at me and said "you have one hell of a buck here". all i knew was that he was a beautiful animal and that he would become a fixture in my brain for a long long time.    
four days of hunting in africa had ended with three awesome animals to my credit and many fond memories to share with my family and friends.
>~Rob~>

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 12:33:00 AM »
My God, those are some beautiful pictures!!!! Nice camera work!!!!
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline S Meyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 03:51:00 AM »
That Blesbuck really is something. By far the best set of horns I've ever seen. Congratulations.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »
Incredible... Can't waite for my day!

The best part is that you shared it with your son!!!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
Day 5:  this day i decided to take a break from hunting, i know, why would you travel that far and spend that kind of money and not hunt. truth is i wanted to make my hunt last and i didn't want to empty my account with more than half of my hunt still to come. also i was wanted to get in some more time behind my camera and as i am sure you know trying to hunt and photograph is hard.  

so we took the day off from hunting and played golf. my son is an avid golfer and i knew this would be a high light of his trip.  
the golf course was pretty nice as a golf course, but the sceenery was great. while looking for one of my balls on the back nine we had a nice warthog run out on to the course.    

after the golf match, which i must say we won a little money back from my PH thanks to a little side betting. i think we ended 4 up thanks to a birdie on the last hole.  

Day 6: saturday morning we slept in, then ate a hearty breakfast of eggs and bacon with some other extras to round things off. after breakfast i headed out with my son to do a little work with my camera and to see some of the country side around our camp.    
some of the views were spectacular despite it being their winter time. the game was also plentiful offering many photo opporunities.

i probably should have carried my bow with me on this outing, but i had fun just clicking the shutter while my son and i explored our surroundings.  
the day ended with lots of images to edit and many more memories to take home. africa is some very beautiful country even when most everything is brown. thanks to a very wet fall there was still  lots of green vegitation.  

next the hunt continues!
>~Rob~>

Offline Bushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 05:52:00 AM »
Great pictures and story. Makes me dream about going back to Africa...

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
when you hear someone say "expect the unexpected", or "it will happen when you least expect it".  this could not have been more true for the next part of my hunt.  during lunch my PH mentioned that he needed to cull out an impala ewe for the trackers and their familys at some point in the next day.

with 3 great animals and still 4 days of hunting left i told my PH that i would enjoy going with him to take this impala especially since he planned to take it with his bow. my PH and i would be chaning roles for this hunt. of course i am no PH, but i do know how to run a video camera and i am pretty good at spotting game.

after lunch we gathered our gear, the PH my son Wes and i and then we headed to a spot where we had been seeing a lot of impala.  the plan was for my PH to take the first mature ewe impala that entered his range. to honest we hadn't expected it to be a long hunt, and figured we would be back in camp well before dark.  

minutes clicked by and then hours. still no impala showed. we had some visitors to the water hole, but that consisted of a sow and 3 piglets, a large flock of guenia fowl and some partridge. o' and the daily visit from mrs. ostrich.

an hour before dark we caught movement coming in from behind the blind. it was a troop of baboons. to me these are the sentries of africa. it was time to sit perfectly still, don't even blink an eye because if they see you the deal is up.    
the troop came in a few at a time with the big males waiting until last to make their appearence. survival of the fittest or in my opinion just plain smart. they remind me of old whitetail bucks, letting the younger animals make the first move to ensure things are safe.

45 minutes had gone by and we were down to the last 15 minutes of daylight. still no impala.  i looked at Gerhard and we both nodded as if to say let's call it a day. this is where the phrase "it happens when you least expect it" comes into the equation. just as we started to pack our gear my PH took one more look out at the surroundings and said in a low wisper, "don't move". he slowly turned his head towards me and said "huge kudu bull, and he is coming in".  

up until now i had not seen a mature kudu bull, only cows and a small bull.  
to say i was excited would be a real undestatement.

he would move 10 yards and stop, scan he surroundings and then move a little closer. he was still 75 yards away as the last bit of daylight was vanishing in a hurry. would it happen or would darkness give winning hand to the big kudu. hands sweaty, and heart pounding, i took deep gulps of air in attempts to control my breathing. the bull was now only 35 yards and closing. just 10 more yards and he would be in range. he turned and walked to his left circling our position.

at this point my PH wispered again that this was a huge bull and that they had been seeing this bull for several years but had not been able to get a shot at him. he was identified by his right ear that hung down instead of being errect. with only   a few minutes of daylight left he was finally standing broadside at 20 yards, but didn't have a shot. his right leg was back blocking the vitals. he then stepped back and turned as if he was going to walk away. that's when i noticed the cows coming in. i had been so focused on the bull i had not seen the cows coming in.

now there where at least 6 animals standing at the water and the big bull was again broadside. still no shot available. i was just about to let out a sigh an fold my hand when he stepped back once more giving me the perfect shot. instinct took over at this point and without a second thought the arrow was gone. the bull bucked and ran back in the direction from which he had come.

the unexpected had happened and i had my kudu. my hunt was complete, kudu had been the top prize on my wish list of african animals. i still had a few days left of my hunt, but i was content to just enjoy the rest of my trip and if i was given the chance at another animal it would be a bonus. the sun had set on another day in the dark continent, but it was anything but dark to me. africa would burned into my mind forever.  
the final days of the hunt coming soon.
>~Rob~>

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »
i'm home sick!

you'l prob here this a many times but "you'v got some awesome animals there!"

WELL DONE! sir

good to see you took your son with you!

Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline S Meyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
This may sound strange but I’m home sick too. Our family had several farms in the Thabazimbi area. I haven’t been there in years.

Andy, are you in England permanently or just for a few years?

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Rob,
I need to talk you into hunting with me next year.  I need someone to take pictures like that!  Fantastic camera work man.  Are you that good with a video camera?  Great stuff.  God bless, Brady

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »
i have an idea, let's have a reunion in Thabazimbi.   pick a date, not to long off though.  the weather here is the pits. 100 degrees and 100% humidity. i think i will probably brush up on my africans before i go back though.
i will be adding my last 2 days of the hunt later today as well as a few more photos to help you guys miss it even more.
>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »
doctorbrady, that's what i do for a living, click the shutter. i do ok with the video camera as well. just give me the dates and i'm there. i have as much fun behind the camera as i do with the stick in my hand.
>~Rob~>

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
Rob,
Your professional ability shows through.  I am trying to get something set up for around August or September of '07.  I will probably be shooting some video with my friend Rick Welch.  My oldest son, who is currently 7 will hopefully be tagging along as well.  Would love to share a camp with you and your son.  Brady

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
send me some details Doc, you never know what i might be able to work out.  with over a year i have some time.
>~Rob~>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©