Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: missing africa already  (Read 3722 times)

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: missing africa already
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post your trip results and the great photographs.  I'm leaving for Vissers in 5 days and your report adds to the excitement.  This is my first trip to Africa and I'll be happy to just make it there and back.  Any of the animals that you were able to take would make the trip a huge success for me. Thanks again
"Live Like You Are Going To Die"

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
ncsturkey you will have a great time i can tell.  you will get some shots on ncie animals. i was only hoping to take one nice animal to remember my trip by and i just kept being in the right place at the right time.  make sure to post your trip when you get back. i saw Josephs post last year when he was talking about his trip with Dries.  take lots of photos you won't regret it.  they video all of your hunts so you don't need to worry about that part.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Rob,
I too thank you for posting this great thread. My wife and I are going to Visser's in August 07; we booked a few months back. We enjoy seeing these threads as they keep the excitement up for the long wait. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your story.
Toby
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »
Rob,
I am going to bowhunt in South Africa July, 2007. What GREAT pictures !!  I need to jump into the 21 century and buy a new camera.
Will you recommend a quality digital camera? Do I have to spend $500 for a good camera?

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »
BTH & JDS3, glad you are enjoying the trip. i found reading these before my trip really added to the excitement.  i was x'ing off the days for almost an entire year waiting for this trip.

John as for cameras, there are some really good cameras out there that will create fine images for less than a $1000. if you will send me a pm i will see if i can't help point you in the right direction.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »
well my last few days of the hunt were upon me. with the kudu still showing on the backs of my eye lids i didn't see how it could be topped. i had 4 awesome animals and memories that would last a life time. sitting around the camp fire monday night we re lived those first few days and talked about the other animals that i might be interested in taking on this trip.

i told Gerhard that honestly i had taken more animals then i ever thought i would and that my trip had been complete after the first arrow left the bow. don't get me wrong i was thrilled for all of the animals that i had taken, but from the very beginning i just wanted to return home with one african animal and it didn't even need to be a trophy.

i have never been a trophy hunter and will never be. i love to hunt with my bow as much as the next trad guy, but just being out there in the bush seeing the wild animals of africa as they have been for millions of years was a dream i had had since a little boy playing in the woods behind my grandmothers house.

we decided that i would go out one more day and try for another nice impala or possibly a zebra if the opportunity presented itself. of course there were many other animals that i had not taken, but i had made it clear from the beginning that i wanted to have something to return for. gemsbuck, bushbuck, waterbuck, eland, hartebeest and nyala just to mention a few.    

this trip had been everything and more for both of us. i knew this trip would be something my son Wes would talk about to his grandkids long after i'm a fixture in the happy hunting grounds we had seen wild animals that most kids only get to see on tv or in the zoo.  

still my son was hoping for one animal that we had seen almost everytime we ventured in to the bush. he had wanted a warthog, especially since i had mentioned that if we were successful in getting one that he could put the trophy in his room. we had seen probably 20-30 different warthogs since day one but they were all sows with little ones.

i can hear Wes now, "dad here comes another warthog""is this one big enough"? the day i killed the kudu a sow had appeared from his side of the blind and he said, "dad get ready here comes a huge warthog".  i could see his disapointment when my PH said, "that's a little pig" "not a shooter". he wanted a hog and some kind of bad. it just didn't seem to be in the cards.    

the final time in the blind had come and the visitors arrived soon after daylight. first a few small impala came into drink and they were followed by a large herd of blesbok. i watched a nice impala ram off in the distance and hoped he would make the mistake of coming in for a drink. his little brother didn't waste any time.  

ten minutes went by and finally the big ram started  to make his moved so i got into position for the shot. he circled around the blind and came in from the right giving me a perfect broadside shot at 12 yards. just as the bow came up my PH said wait, huge hog! i lowered the bow, looking in the direction were Gerhard's eyes were focused. i could see the big pig making his way through the bush .

Gerhard looked at me and said to ready myself for a shot and that if the hog presented a shot to take it right away as he was not likely to stick around long.

at first he came in to the back side of the water trough and it looked as if we wouldn't get the shot, but then for some unknown reason he walked around in front of us giving me a 15 yard broad side shot. he stopped perfect looking in the opposite direction with his front leg forward leaving me with a golden shot.

i didn't need any coaching on this one the arrow was gone as soon as i hit anchor and the hog went down immediately. the arrow had entered right in the shoulder and deflected off bone causing it to strike the spine putting the big boar down for good. i was all smiles as this was the cherry on top of the already over iced cake. Wes had his warthog. it was meant to be. this was his hog.

this was the trip of a lifetime for the both of us.  what really made this trip so special for me was that i was able to share it with my son. i wouldn't trade one minute of it for all the world records out there. we are already talking about our return, the only difference will be next time hopefully he will be the one hunting.

our first african safari will live in our minds forever. the sun rises, sun sets, beautiful landscapes, amazing animals and the friendly people that we meet. new friends and the longing for a land far away will keep us in thought dreaming of our return some day. hopefully sooner than later.

the sun has set on this adventure, but a new day will rise when we again return to the dark continent that for this father and son was anything but dark. god bless!
>~Rob~>

Offline camp thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »
Priceless , thanks for sharing.
Hunt of a Lifetime " making dreams come true"

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »
Bob; thanks for taking the time to share this, and absolutely great pictures,good stuff.Again thanks a bunch help get me my much needed daily dose of africa..........
Like your Freedom.....Thank a VET.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
glad i could share it with the tradgang community. thanks for all the kind words, hope i will be able to share another hunt soon. my son is chomping at the bits to hunt, he actually bought a new bow sunday in hopes of hunting this year. he has been shooting a longbow since he was 3 years old, but i told him he would need to be able to pull at least 35-40 pounds before he could hunt. we decided to start with a compound for hunting since it's easier for him to get the pounds needed to hunt.

thanks again for reading about my hunt. i can't wait to hear about some of your hunts coming up.

>~feathers in the wind~>
>~Rob~>

Offline el cazador

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »
Wow! That's what dreams are made of! Thanks for sharing your story and photos, it was like I was right there with y'all.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
glad i could share it with everyone.  if anyone would like to see some more photos from the trip you can go to my web site @ this address   africa 2006
>~Rob~>

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
I'm sure you'll get lots of hits to that link! Thanks a lot Rob! I've been thinking of nothing but Africa and getting my wife and I ready for the trip. A year seems like a long time but I'm sure it will fly by!
I'm gonna go look at your pictures now!
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline camp thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
great pics !
when we go over we are going to film with a canon gl2, im hoping 60 hrs of tape is enough
for 10 days. 1 year,52 days until we go.
not that i'm counting.
Hunt of a Lifetime " making dreams come true"

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
Hey Rob,
   Nicely done.  Can't wait to hear all the details.  Thanks for all the Pics.  Hope to see you at the Dixie shoot in Aug.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 06:55:00 AM »
Beautiful photographs, Rob. Its always inspiring to see the work of someone that loves what they do and is especially good at it as well!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »
Congrats Rob! My wife and I will be heading over in July 2008. Missed seeing you at PBS in Salt Lake. Thanks for sharing!  Terry

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
Jeff i may or may not make it on saturday, but i'm going to try.  let's catch up before hunting season, i may have some really good spots for you to hunt this year if all goes well. on the Rivana River..

Terry, sorry i couldn't make it to salt lake, not sure if you heard but my grandmother passed away the  day my wife and i were leaving for the airport.

Ray thanks for the kind words also.  it really helps when you love what you do.  i hope to post some photos from Colorado & Wyoming this fall..
>~Rob~>

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »
Rob, my condolences. Family first. See you next time.  Also, thinking of returning to Rob's in Feb. Interested?

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
Simply incredible photos Rob! Definitely brought back fond memories of being there. You captured the visual essense of Africa!
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline MOBO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time!  The pictures are awesome! hey I didn't know you golfed?  We will have to get together so I can take some money from you on the golf course! HAHA Keep in touch!

MOBO
Craig Graniteo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©