Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Cape Buffalo  (Read 3016 times)

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Cape Buffalo
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »
What would be the best poundage for a recurve to hunt Cape Buffalo. I shoot 70 now and think I could handle 80 ok but I'm not sure 80 would be able to meet the KE requirments

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cape Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
80lbs with a good heavy arrow and 2 blade broadhead would be fine on buff!

what is your draw length?

there are many variables, shot placement etc...

you planning a trip to africa?

Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
I have a hunt booked in July 2007 for plains game . thinking about going back in 2008 for a Cape Buffalo

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
ok sweet! well you'v got loads of time to work towards a heavier poundage!  youl love africa and be sure to let us know how you get on!

Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »
I have taken three Buffalo with one arrow each...two Water Buffalo in Australia and a Cape Buffalo in South Africa.  One Water Buff was taken with a 74 pound Wolverine longbow.  The other Water Buff and the Cape Buff were taken with a 74 pound Morrison recurve.

The first Water Buff went about 100 yards and fell over.  The Cape was down in 8 seconds!  The last Water Buff was down in 36 yards.

Forget the kinetic energy junk and just use your head!  Don't even think about an arrow weighing less than 900 grains.  Use the Magnus 125 gr. two blade.  I used wooden shafts made from Diamond Wood.  They weighed 960 grains all-up.  All went right to the feathers.  On the Cape, the arrow SEVERED a rib going in and SEVERED a rib on the off side!  We are talking CUT IN HALF!

Three years ago, I was shooting an 85 pound Wolverine.  It was three feet per second faster than the 74 pound bows!  That's all!  I am far more accurate with the 74 pound bow, as that is my normal draw weight.

Too many bowhunters get caught up in science!  Screw the science and use your common sense and your bowhunting knowledge!

For what it is worth, there is my view on the issue.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »
now, after calming down a little, Paul...would you please tell us what you really think?    :knothead:    :bigsmyl:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
Finally the voice of reason has taken root!  Here, Here Applause, Applause to the 8th Dwarf!

Has anyone ever calculated exactly how many Archery Scientists can dance on the head of a pin?

Dwarf, I can only hope that your sense of common thinking will sprout in others....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »
Thanks, Mike!

I get so frustrated with this "Scientific" approach that I could scream!  I happened to read a Safari Magazine article in a bowhunting camp...not my favorite magazine, by far, but the only thing to read....

This "Clown" did an entire article on his Cape Buffalo hunt and kinetic energy...the whole article was about how he had figured it all out and had the perfect combination of arrow weight and speed.  THEN...the IDIOT used a 4 blade Muzzy head on the Buffalo!!!  I could not believe it!  Only 13 inches of penetration!  He didn't say it in the article, but out came the "smoke pole" to finish a wounded Buffalo!  He also dwelt on the fact that the Buff was the animal he "NEEDED" to finish "COLLECTING" so many African animals with a "Bow" (Bow??? or Banjo?)

If we are going to bow hunt, especially with tradtional equipment, we need to leave science out of it and use our instincts...for more than aiming...

Too Short

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
Thanks Paul your opinion means alot to me.

Offline Bushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »
A friend of mine shot a water buffalo with a 60 pound recurve. The buff hesitated a few seconds after being hit the first time and got another arrow - both went in to the feathers. 60 pound bow, 30" draw. Heavy arrow and 2 blade heads.
I still think this is on the light side for buffalo though, but have never shot one myself so...

Offline justin snyder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »
8th Dwarf, we call that being educated beyond your intelligence. Maybe they should think less and shoot more. Justin

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »
Yup!  Dang, it's nice to still be able to find a few bowhunters who spend the time to LEARN about the sport, put in their time, and shoot constantly...WITHOUT SCIENCE!

This ain't supposed to be a hi-tech, SCIENTIFIC sport!  It is supposed to be a down and dirty, sniff the dirt and the trees, pay-your-dues, hard work, EARN THE REWARDS sport!

I could do without ragweed, though...sniff!

Too Short

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
I agree with Paul. KE calculations should stay in math class. Unfortunately, a lot of folks in Africa are totally hung up on it. I've had personal experience with a good number of Asiatic buffalo now and the results are consistent. Every bull hit perfectly with a sharp broadhead from ANY bow (as light as #66) went down hard. Any bull hit less than perfectly with ANY bow (as heavy as #90) was a handstand. I used a #78 Robertson recurve and 1000 gr ipe arrow on mine and watched it fall. Use the heaviest bow you can shoot comfortably and accurately and never sacrifice accuracy for poundage. And if you have any more questions ask PB, since he knows everything! (PS Dwarf... Rosey and I were remenicscing about you last night. When you gonna say hi to your buddies in Lewistown again? Cheers, Don

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »
Don
That was an awesome story and I really liked seeing it in Outdoorlife magazine:-)
Dale

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 08:28:00 AM »
Nawww, Don, I still don't know much about women!  Or kinetic energy, for that matter.  I do know that you and Rosey are both goofy as outhouse rats, but you're still cool.  

Too F. Short

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
Off subject, but Paul where do you get the Diamond Wood arrows?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »
Not putting words in Paul's mouth, Vermonster, but I believe that Bob Burton of Whispering Wind offers those shafts? Not absolutely certain, but I beleive Paul's talked about them here once before.

I might be thinking about hex shafts though, not sure.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
Yeah, Ray, you're thinking hexshafts.  www.whisperingwindarrows.com.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline el cazador

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »
I believe Bob offers diamond wood too.  Here's a post by Paul complaining (oh no, I mean raving in a good way!) about Magnus heads where he mentions the diamond wood shafts by Whispering Wind Arrows.

http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000206#000000

I'm sure Buff needs to know where to get the shafts too!

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
Yup!

I talked to Bob Burton up at Whispering Wind and told him I really wanted to hunt Buff with wood shafts, not graphite or aluminum.  He said that he could help me out.

Along came these AWESOME shafts made from Diamond Wood, which, I believe, is the stuff they use to make recurve handles.  I have since had him make more for me.  They are straight!  They are heavy and all about the same weight!  They shoot FLAWLESSLY!  

I dip them, then dip in Fletch Laq, then crest them.  After that, two dips of Van Flex, which is a super hard, heavy finish.  With the Magnus II, 125 grain head, they weigh 960 grains!

As I said in other posts (or maybe this one), I have taken two Water Buff and one Cape Buff with them...all one arrow kills.  The arrow completely SEVERED a rib going in and completely SEVERED a rib going out on the Cape Buffalo!!!

Hope this helps!

Too Short

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©