3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Walnut?  (Read 221 times)

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Walnut?
« on: December 22, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I have some dead black walnut trees in the back of my yard. I would like to use some of this wood for a handle on a recurve I want to make. How do I know if its ok to use? The trees still have the bark on. Thanks Don

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Walnut?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
do you know how long the tree has been dead? trees (certain species) can be slavaged for timber for many years after they die so long as insects and decay have not set in. Got some pic? how did it die? Lighting will cause decay from the inside even if you dont see any sign on the outside. Juglans nigra is a hearty species and can withstand alot of abuse from the elements and mother nature. If you just dont know cut a section and see if it has decent grain, texture, color, etc. if it has been dead a while you may not have to do any drying and can go ahead and start working it.

Offline Ric Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Black Walnut is a beautiful wood and can be used in a riser.  It is advisable however to run an accent stripe or two down through it however, to increase its strength since walnut isn't especially strong.

Offline Lookinforlunkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
I ordered my first longbow today.  I chose a black walnut and cocabola(spelling?) w/maple between for a riser.  Hope it turns out nice.  The boyer said the cocabola would add some mass weight to the riser.
Life is about the journey, not the destination

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
I`m not sure how long the trees have been dead. I`m going out in the morning to cut some up. I`ll let you guys know how it looks. No pic`s I`m still trying to figure outhow to get them to Photobucket. Don

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Well I just got back in from cutting the wood.(The wind about blew me over) I had some last minute Chistmas shopping to do. The tree was leaning on another tree,So it wasnt laying on the ground. I thin it down to about 2`by 5". The wood itself looks in pretty good shape. I dont know alot about how it should look though. Ric I will put a accent stripe down though it if this works thank you. I will try to post some pic`s but dial up take so long to load them. Any help on what I`m looking for would be helpful Thanks Don.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I don't think this will be of much value to you, but last year I read an article on high-end european walnuts that are used in the luxury firearm industry. I don't remember all the details but some of the walnut "harvested" is dead for an extended period of time. It appears that some species of walnut are illegal to cut down. Others are prefered to age in their natural environment. There is a market in poor regions for harvesting blow-downs on the side of mountains that have been dead for some time.
My point? If you can stock a high-end H&H with wood from dead trees, you ought to be able to get a decent riser.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
Don't over look the stump.Walnut roots have the most beautiful grain and are prised by those that make gun stocks.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »
man don  wish i wAS IN UR SHOES  IF YOU HAVE A WHOLE TREE TO WORK  WITH  WHY NOT TAKE THE TIME  TO GET THE STAVES OUT OF IT ?? AND NOT JUST A LIL RAISER ,,, IF YOU NOTICE  WHAT A WALNUT STAVE S BRING ON E BAY LATLEY  SOME OF EM ARE OUT SELLIN OSAGE  A LIL WORK AND YOUVE GOT A POT A GOLD AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW ! THAT WILL BRING YA A LOT OF JOY  IF YOU DO DECIDE TO WORK SOME OF EM  ENJOY !
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©