Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Saving for Africa  (Read 1555 times)

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
Saving for Africa
« on: January 22, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
For those that are planning on going in the future, what are you doing to save for Africa?  A high interest account socking money away monthly?  A jar with your spare change?

Prices shouldn't be too much higher in the next 2-4 years, right?

Is $10,000 too little for travel, 5 animals over 10-14 days?

Offline SilentT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Saving for Africa
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
I think you are definitely in the ballpark, maybe a tad low when you consider packing and shipping of animals and taxidermy work.  

As for savings, i had my broker withdraw money each month from my account over a period of a year and a half.  That didn't pay for all of it, but was sure a nice little account.  The money was then placed into a money market account bearing a good interest rate but still allowing me to withdraw it without penalty or tax consequences.  Good luck and start saving!

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
I am finding that budgeting 15K is a true cost for the whole adventure including travel costs, trophy fees, daily rates, dip, pack, ship, taxidermy, side trips, extra hotel nights on either side of the hunt and any shopping you may want to do.  

PH's may add a few bucks a year to the trophy fees and daily rates as well. I noticed a small increase from last year to this year.

Figure out how much you can put aside per pay period for the future cost of the trip and pay that account first. The spare change jar idea sounds good in addition to that. Also check out which country you want to go to. Namibia may be less expensive than SA for example.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
start an account (interest bearing)and put every penny you can into it and forget it until time for your hunt.

here is a break down of my hunt.
plane ride across the big pond - $1,950.
daily rate - $350. x 10 days = $3,500.
trophy fees 5 animals. kudu, blue wildebeest, impala, blesbok & warthog = $3,200.
PH tip = $500.
camp staff & trackers/skinners tip = $500.
export fees approx $800.
import and shipping $800.
taxidermist fees approx $5000.
gifts and additional expenses $1,000.
grand toatl = $17,250.
add a non hunter as i did and you can add on another $3,000. for everything.
grand grand total $20,250.
the home equity took a hit as you can see. was it worth it?  every darn penny.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Paleface, why didn't you just buy package 2 from Dries Visser? It would include the animals you shot, all gratuities for staff and PH and transportation from Johannesburg for $5,800. You can hunt 8 days plus add days for half price ($150/day).

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
The package 2 is for 2 hunters but Dries can usually set you up with another hunter. Even if you want a 1x1 all you have to pay is an additional $50/day.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
For those first timers out there, keep in mind that alot of these expenses will not occur until long after your hunt, such as export/import, and then taxidermy.  Just make sure you have around $8,000 to $10,000 before you go.  You can worry about the rest after you come back.  
I did not take a loan when I went.  I saved for 7 years.  I ended up with a little money left over because I did not take all the animals I wanted to take.  
It is expensive, but it is worth it.  The memories last forever.  The hunting is exciting to say the least.  The whole time I was there, I NEVER got bored while sitting in a blind. You just have to do it.  Send in the deposit and book a flight.  Then you will simply HAVE to come up with the money, and you will make it happen.  

By the way, there is nothing saying that you HAVE to go over there and shoot a truckload of critters either.  I took 3 animals and was perfectly content with that.  I passed up alot of animals also.  I passed up a shot at a beautiful Nyala, simply because I did not want to pay the price for it.  But I have his memory etched in my mind forever.  You can take as many or as few animals as you can afford.  Don't over do it, and you will have fun, and not be too stressed about the cost of it all.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Keep in mind though, that once you go, you WILL want to return.  There is just something about Africa.  It is wonderful.  You get to hunt in great weather, and you get to see alot of beautiful animals.  South African wine is great!  Stay away from the castle beer though.  That stuff will give you a major hangover!

Offline S Meyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
We do have some excellent wines here. I can recommend a few... As for the Castle, well that is a very complex issue. The bottle says: “Brewed in perfect balance to satisfy a South African thirst. Enjoy Responsibly. Not for sale to persons under the age of 18. 340 ml. 5,0%alc/vol.”. I won’t argue with that.

I have a question about the financial aspects of such a hunt. What do the animals themselves cost? I can’t find the prices online. Can someone please direct me to the where I can find them?

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
S Meyer, just go to Dries Visser's web site and you will find a list of the prices for each animal and also a list of the package deals. Other operations will be similar in price but I find that on average they are close.  Rick

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
RL,  the reason i ahd to pay what i did was originally i was scheduled to be with another hunter  but he had to cancel his trip for personal reasons and that bumped me from a 2 on 1 to a 1 on guide. i was the only hunter in the mountain camp during the entire time i was there so there was no one to pair me with. also i didn't want to be restricted to what animals i could take.  there are so many animals to choose from i didn't want a nice one step in front of me and have to watch him walk away because he wasn't part of the package.

the other thing is i like to tip for the job/service i receive from someone and the package deal takes that ability away from me and puts it in the hands of the safari company. to be honest my PH worked his butt off for me and if i had had some extra money i would have given him even more.

the big ting to remember is that once your hunt is over the tab isn't finished, the export services, import services and taxidemist fees will be following.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Paleface,
I, too, hunted out of mountain camp by myself. Dries was to provide a hunting partner for me but he backed out at the last minute. Dries still gave me the 2x1 price even though I had a PH with me every day. That shows what a class guy he is. I will say that I felt I really missed out being the only hunter in camp. I didn't get to share campfire stories with anyone. Also, I like my quiet time and I would have preferred to only have a PH in the blind every other day. By the way, when you buy a package you can swith any animal in the package for an animal of equal value.  For instance, you could swith a gemsbok for a wildebeast. Or you can simply add an animal to the package just by paying the added price of the animal. If you bought package 2 and shot a wildebeast you would just add $850 to the price of the package at the end of your hunt. I shot an extra impala and warthog whick added $480 to the price of my package. At Dries Visser I think it is the best way to go. The package includes all costs except dipping and shipping. I shot 7 animals and the total cost of my hunt will be about $12,500 including taxidermy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©