Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow weight/ Animal Question  (Read 2970 times)

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow weight/ Animal Question
« on: January 27, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
Planning my return trip to Africa in 08, Recently switched to a Morrison recurve 55# @ 28", shoots my 544 grain grizzlystick Sitka 175 fps, tippied with a Wensel Woodsman or German Kinetics 2 blade (point weight 300 gr total), can increase the weight to 580 with a weight tube. Both fly very well. I shoot this bow more accuratley. Hunted in 06 with my 59# Pronghorn TD longbow shooting a 620 gr arrow/point, Magnus 1, and took Kudu, Wildebeast, Impala and Dieker. Could have used more energy for the larger animals as the arrow did not punch out the opposite side.

What plains game animals would be considered to large for this setup?. I passed on an Eland last time as I did not think I had enough bow. I will only take broadside or slightly quartering away shots, two balde for larger animals. I am considering getting new limbs from Bob Morrison @60#, do I need the extra energy? (would also increase arrow weight to about 650). Thanks guys.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow weight/ Animal Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
I have a Morrison 57# recurve. I set up some grizz stick alaskans to about 635 grains and they shoot fine. After talking a bit with Bob though, for my Africa trip, I'm going to try some Beman Classics 400. Following Bob's direction I can get these between 630 to 680 grains. He was hesitant to build up heavier limbs for me as he said I didn't need them that heavy and 55-57# would be plenty. He was more interested that I wouldn't be overbowed and would be able to make a controlled shot into the vitals with a sharp broadhead.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Heck, I hunted over there with a 52lb. blacktail, and I had no problems.  I used heavy 660 grain arrows.  If I were you, I would just shoot a little heavier arrow, and I'm sure you will be fine.  Even on the big stuff.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Poundage is not a problem, I shoot a 62# Assenheimer well. I have an Axis 340 worked up for the Morrison and it weighs in at 653 grain (11.8 gpp), sounds like the arrow I will use, the thin diameter will help with penetration, need to fine tune arrow flight. Also,have a CX heritage 250 that's 725 (13.1 gpp) and a CX 350 that's over 800, now that is heavy.
Thanks for the info.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Katman, you're good to go man.  Go get 'em!

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Bth, I had to drop grn weight to around 480 at 29.5 bop to get the beman 400 mfx classics to spine right out of my morrison td 57 at 28 chronod at 210 fps, Wish after futher investigation that I had got the 340 series to allow for a higher grn weight.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
katman, you should be fine with your setup. i used my morrison 56# @ 28" TD longbow with carbon express safts, wensel woodsmans.  i shot completely through a blue wildebeest. i would go for accuracy first. on the carbon express arrows i used the brass insert to add a little more weight.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Katman,
I agree with everybody else.  African plains game are not thick skinned, and any good elk set up should also do the trick on plains game.  You may not punch through the off shoulder of an eland or zebra, but you will certainly be able to get into both lungs.  As you already know, the trackers don't depend upon a blood trail to track anyway.
Just remember, you won't have a lot of room for error should you hit a shoulder, so aim tight.

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
Katman
Your setup sounds right, I went in 07 and spoke to a local who hunts larger planes game, ie Eland; Zebra; Black/Blue Wildebeest etc... His opinion is that the bow poundage isn't as important as a very well placed heavy arrow!
750gr+ should be ample.
He shoots a selfbow under 60#, but he doesn't shoot anything under 700gr.!
Good luck and enjoy!
J
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
Katman...

I've been over there 14 or 15 times and feel like I have gotten my tackle and info pretty well squared up.  Personally, I would tell anyone who asked that you need to be a minumum of 60 pounds and 600 grains.  I'm 64 years old and shooting a 74 pound Morrison recurve.  My arrows are 640 grains.  I would definitely NOT recommend the Wensel Woodsman...regardless of the fact that the twins have been buddies for 30 years.  Multi-blade heads just don't perform as well on those critters over there.  I use the wide Magnus 135 grain on everything except Cape Buffalo.  For that I use the 125 grain.

Now...if I, at 64 years old and 5'4" tall can easily shoot a 74 pound bow, then you, who are obviously much younger and bigger, can easily handle 60-65 pounds.  Get that arrow weight up to at least 600...or more.  Use a two blade and  you will be very impressed with the results.

I have some incredible photos of a three blade head that hid an Elk scapula that really demonstrates my point.  Since I am technically challenged, I don't know how to put them in here.  If you want to see them, email me at [email protected] have someone post them for me.

Just opinions...but based on a lot of experience on the Dark Continent!

Cheers...

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Too Short,

I have to agree with you. I shot an impala through the front shoulder and into the spine with a wensel woodsman. All the vents on the woodsman were bent and, even more importantly, they were dull. I think the problem is the woodsman is only 43 Rockwell. I have since gone back to 2-blade heads with 52 rockwell like the Eclipse.

Rick

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Bingo, Rick...or as they say here in New Zealand, "Bob's your uncle, mate!"  Means the same thing, anyway!

Again...if any of you know how to post photos in this thread, email me and I'll email you the Elk shoulder blade photos.

Keep the baby, Faith!

Too Short

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Paul,
PM send regarding the photo posting

Falk

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Paul,
I am leaning towards going to 60 pound limbs on the Morrison. After all why not if I can shoot/handle it well. I have been wanting to upgrade to Bob's new recurve limbs anyway, with snake skin backing, but that might scare the trackers away. How about matching black mamba skins?

Also will plan on 650 + arrow weight. Still deciding on broadhead.

Gery

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I have the skin from a TEN FOOTER that came part way into my blind.  We shotgunned him and his TEN FOOT mate at the blind the next day.

It ain't very pretty skin.  Cobra is actually quite pretty.

Too Short

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
I am going using 60# Widow and my "Too Short" 715 grn. arrows.  I asked Paul all these questions last summer. I listened...

These heavy arrows have been scary deadly on deer. Africa will be the same I am sure.

Sanderlin III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 04:02:00 AM »
Here are the photos I got from Paul to post them for him:

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
A guy named Falk from Germany is going to post the photos I talked about...the ones showing the three blade head and a scapula...

Too Short

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
8th,

5'4"? When is the last time you checked? At 64, I'd bet you really are TFS!   :biglaugh:
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
:confused:   Am I the only one who can SEE Pauls pics ABOVE his last posting?!   :confused:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©