Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow weight/ Animal Question  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow weight/ Animal Question
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
I see it. Sobering; would be interesting to see what a two-bladed BH would have done under the same conditions.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
Oh, Jeff...you are courting disaster!  Just remember that when you pick on a short person, it is just another form of child abuse!

"Rache ist ein gerricht das du kalt essen must."

"Revenge is a meal that is best eaten cold."  Or...don't get mad, get even!  You have done the unpardonable...you have insulted the 8th Dwarf.  A voodoo doll will arrive in your mail shortly.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Too F. Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Falk...

Thanks, mate!  How's my German spelling?  With a name like Brunner, you would think it would be perfect.  Achtung!

Hasta la Pasta

Too Short

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »
Paul,
you are welcome! And you were (almost) perfect! Well done!
But that's no surprise actually - as all other seven Dwarfs were Germans - the 8th would have something in common - besides being a quarter of an inch shorter then my wife  ;)    :D    :o  
 :goldtooth:

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
8th,

Well, OK, but I think you're supposed to hang on to those for 'em to be effective. If you must send, please stick it full of WWs first, I'm getting low! Hey, you once called me a "knuckle-dragger" in ref to my draw length - you know what they say about men with big feet, hands and draw length! :notworthy:  

On a serious note, Terry Receveur and I have two openings in our camp at Melorani in July '08. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
I know what they say...all the growth hormones went to their feet, hands, and draw length!  In the case of us wee people all the growth hormones had to go SOMEWHERE!  heh, heh, heh!

You have to get up real early in the morning to best Sleazy, the 8th Dwarf, you knuckle dragger!

Too Short...but not TOO short, if you get my drift!

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Paul, Paul...growth hormone doesn't work on that particular muscle, I thought that the 8th Dwarf was Sneaky (how else could you have gotten Snow White), and true, you do have to get up real early in the morning to best you - BECAUSE YOU ARE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GLOBE!!!  :jumper:
Jeff

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
Awww...I quit.  This is too taxing mentally for me...I'm going trout fishing!  

Too Short

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
Oh, now that really hurt - it hasn't been above 20 degrees here for a week, and trout season is a month and a half off! Send pics of one of those big NZ browns!
Jeff

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of a warthog a friend shot last summer at Melorani after it was shot by another hunter before our arrival. The hog was shot in the shoulder one week before we arrived with a wood arrow and a Wensel Woodsman. I don't know the arrow weight or bow it was shot with by the first hunter and I don't know if a very heavy fast arrow with a 3 blade or the same arrow with a 2 blade would've penetrated any better. The hog had a pretty good limp when it was finished off but other than that it appeared to be in good health and probably would've survived.

One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
There's no fork in Too Short's tongue. His advice speaks well of his experience.
  :thumbsup:

Because of the heavy bone threshold I would personally put minimum arrow mass at 650 grains. Anything works when everything goes right. What I want is something that works when everything goes wrong!

Does anyone note a commonality among the opinions of those of us who have been there a bunch of times and shot a wide verity of big animals? There's no down side for having too much bow, too much arrow or too much penetration. Too little of either is sometimes a BIG downer!

Ed

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
That shot would have done the same on a good ol' USA feral hog too.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Bosveld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 04:08:00 AM »
55lb - 65lb and 10-12gr/inch on your arrows will do for everthing up to and including Eland. Most important factor - SHOTPLACEMENT, and next to it - broadhead sharpness. Many hunters overlook the sharpness of their broadheads.It must not be razor sharp...it must be "afraid sharp" (you afraid to handle it).

May your arrows fly straight.
The man who kneels to God, stands up to everything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©