Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Broadheads for Africa Plainsgame  (Read 3295 times)

Offline SilentT

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads for Africa Plainsgame
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Just have a quick question for everyone.  It's probably been asked before but please give me a shot.  

I'm taking my Black Widow SAIII (58@28) over to Africa this summer.  I have already bumped my arrow weight up with weight tubes (about 540 grains) figuring a 125 grain head.  Any suggestions on what head to shoot?  I am currently strongly looking at a Magnus Stinger but any other suggestions would be great.  Even a heavier broadhead suggestion would be fine.  I've been playing with a 145 field point and it seems to fly well.  At any rate, any suggestions on a good africa broadhead?  Thanks

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads for Africa Plainsgame
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
I used a 2 blade eclipse over there.  However, many people have done fine with 3 blade heads.

Offline SilentT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
And one more thing, ANY positive response is appreciated.  I'm not trying to start a broadhead debate here, just get a few options.  Thanks

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
I built up some high FOC carbons to 670 grain for my Morrison recurve (57#). I'll be taking them to Africa in August. Following Bob's instructions I started with beman mfx classics 400, cut them to my length, used a 100 grain brass HIT insert then topped it off with 125 grain steel insert and 125 grain grizzly. 125 grain WW or any other combination of insert and bh to get my bh to 250 would have done the job also. These fly very well out of my bow.
I chose the grizzly/steel insert combo becuase I've heard good things about the grizzly heads and wanted to use a two blade for this trip. Recommend reading the Ashby reports for more information on this topic.
Good luck.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Any 2 blade like Magnus or Zwickey is the way to go. Everyone that I've talked to about this (that have hunted Africa)has said to stay away from any other type of broadhead.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
Any good 2 blade head will do, my personel preferance would be to go as wide as possible.  If you are hunting plains game penetration shouldn't be an issue.  Also the Eclipse or Zephyr four blades would be good also.  The bleeder sheers right off if bone is hit and doesn't impede penetration. You want all of the cut you can get.  A 4 blade Zephyr Sausquatch would be the cats meow.  I don't know about Magnus bleeder blades.  Actually sitting here thinking about it I wouldn't hesitate to use Snuffers in Africa on plains game.  Now remember I have a total of 1 trip and 6 animals to base this on so I wouldn't take it as gospel.  Paul Brunner who has been there a lot uses only Magnus I's for plains game.  Accuracy is the most important thing, your shots should all be under 20 yards and broadside or slightly quartering away so if you stick half of your arrow through the critter in the right spot you will be good.  Shoot them on the horizontal midline straight up the front leg for a broadside shot.  Most stuff over there if it is broadside and you shoot it just behind the shoulder crease it will be a liver shot.  Other thing to think of is that if you are in a pit blind and the animal is 10 yards away you will be shooting up at it which is different from what most people are used to.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
i sell Silver Flames so take this for what it is . if i am ging to Africa and speding all that money i would want the best points avcailable and they are also one of the most expensive .
i have had quite a few customers go to Africa and as soon as they get back contact me fore more broadheads .
i am a great believer in heavy weight forward in Carbon arrows so 100 gr brass insert and 180 to 210 gr broadhead and maybe more weight forward .in Africa if you draw blood you bought it so i want something that if i screw up a shot you will still get the penetration .
all this being said i would be probably shooting woodies at 700+ grains out of a bow i draw to 53#.
i saw thei pics of joseph"s animals and he did real good    :)   --- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
I have taken a fair ammount of Plains game and have had excellant results with the Simmons heads , I also shot a few animals with the Wensel Woodsmen that impressed me , I still believe that almost any quality head that's SHARP and put in the RIGHT place will do the job , my thoughts , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Hands down, the Magnus 135 grain two blade!  I've been 14 times and it's all come down to one broadhead for me.

Too Short (Paul Brunner)
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
I remember Larry D. Jones used 597gr. carbon arrows out of a 60#@28" recurve. He got his arrows bareshafted perfectly and used Rocky Mountain Titanium 125 grain broadheads, a replaceable 3 blade head. He got great penetration and results. Never been to Africa on a hunting trip, but my point is that if you bareshaft your arrows perfectly, I think you'll be fine with most any good cut on contact head. I'd use whatever gave me the most confidence if it were me.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Most cut on contact style heads will do Ok for plains game as long as you don't encounter any big bones.  Still, it is good to have some insurance with a strong, quality head.  Blood trails aren't really an issue as the trackers don't usually need them.  You've just gotta get it killed!  I used grizzlies last time...will be using Eclipse this trip.  You wouldn't go wrong with modified tip Wensel Woodsmans, STOS, silver flames....or probably a big Magnus 1 (I hate to agree with Pauly B).  You might consider pushing your arrow weight up just a tad, though.  I would feel more comfortable with something in the 6 or 700's when things go "less than perfect," and bone is encountered.  Best of luck.  Brady

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 04:44:00 AM »
Never been to Africa, one day soon though. But, I have seen the stinger in action and I would stay away from that head on any animal. I hunted with a guy that was using them in Texas last year and he shot a deer and a ram with them and the result was terrible. The heads disentegrated he never found the Ram and when he found the deer he had to put two more arrow in it. Course some of his problem was shot placement but the head is no good in my opinion. Now do not blast me, it is jus my opinion on the results I have seen with this head. I would not use them.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Rattus1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »
I used the Eclipse 125 with excellent results from a 58# recurve, shooting 600gr arrows.  I know of a Stinger that tore all to pieces on a little Sitka black-tail deer.  Not a head I'll be trying, especially in Africa.
"I can explain it to you, but I can not understand it for you."

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
Like the add says....... The sun never sets on a Zwickey  :)  two blade that is, also the magnus has served me well lately. As Previously indicated most anything that is razor sharp will get the job done if everything is right.... but what about the times things don't work out that way........
Like your Freedom.....Thank a VET.

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
I have limited experience with broadhead performance but I had excellent results with Eclipse 145 grain 2 blade on a 660 grain arrow on six animals in 2006.  Complete penetration of both shoulders or complete pass through shots on all.  I observed some of the Green razorheads roll back into a 'j' as a relult of hits on the shoulder blade of a couple of Gemsbuck.
"Live Like You Are Going To Die"

Offline weasle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
i would think the new simmions tree shark would do good. 165 grains and a 2 1/4 inch cut. cut a mean hole on deer.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
Never been to Africa but my thoughts are you would want a two blade head if you are only shooting an arrow in the 540 grain range.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
What about the Muzzy Phantom SS?

Offline donb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
That Magnus Stinger episode in Texas sounds like maybe the result of some very early heads that were too brittle. I have read several tests on this head and it is one of the best out there. Magnus, Zwickey, Eclipse, Wensel, Grizzly, etc would all be good. Tune your arrow to perfection, wait for a gimme shot and you will have happy results!
"Lead on!"

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
According to German Kinetics, the Silverflame broadheads are the best. Anyone have a thought on these? I mean, for the price, they ought to be the VERY best! I have a hard time giving that much money for a broadhead unless it's worth it.

Jeff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©