Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Eclipse or Bear Razorhead?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Eclipse or Bear Razorhead?
« on: May 12, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Plan on going in '08 to hunt plains game. Was planning on using old bear 145gr. broadheads with chiseled tip. Am' thinking of switching to 145gr Eclipse without bleeder blades.
I will be shooting 48# Whip longbow and 46# ACS CX. I thought I could use Beman MFX 500 with wht. tubes to get an arrow in the 600gr. wht.
I have been told that using the ultra thin arrows I will get more penetration. Also, hope to get better penetration with teflon coated broadhead.
Any suggestions, advice or personal experiences?
I can't shoot heavier bows due to shoulder injury.

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eclipse or Bear Razorhead?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
I've seen some evidence that the Eclipse is the best choice between the two.
"Live Like You Are Going To Die"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Eclipse is the front runner for my return in 09, used the WW, razoraps and Magnus 1 last year with good results with my Pronghorn. The heavier shaft is the way to go, I passed on an Eland (big animal) at 20 yds as I thought I did not have enough firepower. Next time I will be shooting 650 grain Axis arrows with 300 up front (following Dr. Ashby's findings on penetration) out of a 60# Dalaa, maybe the ACS CX if it ever gets here and I can shoot her as well and get the arrow flying true.

I would recomend you read Dr. Ashby's studies on what pentrates when things don't go exactly right, my take is the threshold for arrow weight is somewhere between 625 and 650 grains two blade cut on contact broadhead and as near perfect arrow flight as you can get.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Eclipse, hands down.  No doubt that it is a penetrator, and a superior head for heavier game than the razorhead.  With your light tackle you will appreciate the advantage of a head that can get the job done.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
The Eclipse has become my favorite 2 blade head.  Mostly because I am able to get it sharper than most other two blade heads.  I used them last year in South Africa with great results, and will be using them again this year in Namibia.  We're counting the days now Doc!

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Tic, tock, tick, tock.  72 days left, Jon.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Doc you got any of them heads you can send this way?
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
I'll get 'em out to you soon.  Still working on getting some arrows for everyone.  Don't you have work to do, Burnham?   :bigsmyl:

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
i have plenty to do, but i keep thinking about Namibia and can't get it done. so much to do, so little time.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
If I were you I would not automatically dicount the 4 blade model.  The blades are small and also brittle just like the bleeder blades on the old Bear razorheads.  I was in Africa in 2005 and did not have any penetration problems with most of my shots hanging out the back side of animals then falling on the ground when they ran.  In 2006 I went to Australia and used the 4 blade Eclipse on the Basalt Warriors(pigs) of northern Queensland with very good results on thick fighting shieled boars.  The last Bison I shot I used the 4 blade eclipse on also and the bleeders sheared off when the arrow went through part of a rib.  I think Fred Bear was onto something when he came up with the bleeder blade concept.  Either way shot placement is the most important and if you hit them where you should you will be okay.  Just shoot them through the > in the front shoulder a lot farther forward than you would ever think of shooting a deer.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
In Ashby's report the bear razor beat all the 3 and 4 blades but was last among the 2's.
I shot 4 animals over there with the 2 blade bear razors. Had good results on all. I was using a 62# recurve 560 grain arrow. Shot a couple 1/4 to me. (wart hog and Kudu). I never tried the Eclipse but I know the PH there liked them and I have never heard anything negative. I also used the Zephyr's and they did fine. I only had a bear razor fail 1 time on a whitetail I hit right on the shoulder knuckle. It bent.  You'll be fine with either but really fine with the eclipse.  :)
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
I got some Eclipse from Braveheart Archery. They where tough to sharpen but seem to be designed sturdier then Bears. Although I have been using Bears for over 30 years and have never had one fail (I do chisel the tips). I will be using the Eclipse this fall (if I get to hunt-still having shoulder problems) on hogs and deer and next summer in Africa.  
I want to thank everyone for their help.
I also want to thank Dr. Ashby for his help in his PM.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Ok guys, here's the skinny.  
Just returned from Africa.  The 5 of us took around 24 animals with eclipse broadheads, and that's only because I made my wife slow down.  Here's the impressive part.  My wife killed a 400-500 pound kudu cow, a springbok, and a big oryx (gemsbok) with a 45# bow and grizzlysticks tipped with eclipse broadheads.  2 of the other guys killed 1500# eland, one with a 52# bow, the other with a 55# bow.  Eclipse are AWESOME HEADS!!!!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
I use wensel woodsmans for whitetails, but I use 2 blade heads for almost everything else, and I really like eclipse heads.  There are alot of good heads on the market, but I like eclipse because I can get them sharper than any other head.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
to add to doc's statement both of the eland would have been complete pass through shots if Jon's had not hit the opposite side shoulder blade. Ed went all the way through. i sent one through a warthog that we had to dig out of a post and it was still sharp enough to shave with.

the other thing i noticed is that i get really consistent flight and they are easy to get mounted straight.
>~Rob~>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©