Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Favorite So Africa airline?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite So Africa airline?
« on: July 25, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm heading to hunt with Dries in less than a year and I was wondering if there was a general concenus of the best airline to get there?

Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time-
Jarrod
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite So Africa airline?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I flew with Delta out of Atlanta. I have no complants

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks, I think that was the route I was thinking about. BTW, how long is the flight?
Thanks again.
JArrod
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
When I went in 2005 I flew from Billings, Mt to Minneappolis on Northwest and then flew on KLM from Minn to Amsterdam to Joburg.  I had excellent service with KLM and I was also the only person in camp for 10 days because SAA had gone on strike.  If you do use KLM just don't plan on overnighting in Amsterdam, the Dutch are kind of touchy about bows, broadheads, and knives! A friend of mine almost got thrown in jail when they went to check there bags bag in after getting out of the airport and their hunting equipment was seen!  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline TradAlaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
British Airways, South Africa Air, and Delta seem to be the most commomly used airlines.  Any of the carriers will work just fine.  Search for the best price.  Unless you are young, of average size or smaller, coach seating can be painful and the trip is long.  I am big and old and know of what I speak.  If at all possible try to use mileage or upgrade some way to business or first.  My first 4 trips were coach.  My wife and I just got back 10 days ago and flew British Airways first class.  I used mileage to get the tickets, been saving up for 20 years.  It is a pretty great way to travel.

I see you are from CA.  I was raised in Sebastopol in Sonoma County -- Been in Alaska for the last 32 years.

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Joseph, I've met you a few times at miso. PBS Banquets. Thanks for poking in with your thoughts I value your opinion.
 It must have been something to be the only person in camp for so long. By the way, and I don't mean to sound like a dope (but I will) what does KLM airline stand for?

TradAlaska, I'm 190# and 5'11", but I'm going to fly business class. I can barely sit in coach for the 5 hours it takes me to get to Texas on South West. I always feel like effing cattle on that airline...Last time I went to hunt Texas I was wedged between my #300 friend and another guy I did not know that was poking in the #280 area. The secret to surviving the flight was breathing shallow. It was a rediclous flight.

Yes, I'm from Cali. I lived in Santa Rosa for a number of years. I like the Sonoma County area very much, though the traffic has somewhat worsened since you left. It's like a slightly rolling parking lot which heads to and from SF.
 I'm in the SF area in a smallish coastal community. This said, I'd liek to get my family out of this state as you did. Where in Alaska are you? I've spent a bit of time through the islands around Sitka.

Stay well and thanks for your help.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:31:00 AM »
Jarrod, you are welcome and I will see you in Pittsburgh if you are there.  KLM is Royal Dutch Airlines.  I know what you mean about the size and seating being 6' and 290#.  My solution was sleeping pills and Scotch!  If you sleep 16 hours of 22 hours the trip is a lot easier to take.  That was my only complaint about KLM was they didn't have any decent whiskey  :rolleyes:  It's a rough life.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Joseph, KLM=Royal Dutch Airline   :confused:  That's kinda funny.

22 Hours! Yikes. I'll be bringing sleeping pills for sure. And a mallet if the pills don't do the trick.

Yes, I'm planning on Pittsburg. The Banquets are like a big family reunion for me--with the exception that I enjoy the company at the Banquets.  

Thanks again.

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
Delta from Atlanta to Joberg that will be your best price, try Marilyn Burton Great Escapes Hamilton MT. shes a peach, 18 hrs. take a neck pillow and some sleeping
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
mlmealey, Thanks for the help. Is Mrs. Burton Bob's wife from Whispering Wind? I only ask because I can't imagine that many Burton's in the Hamilton area...If it is one and the same, she's a nice lady and her husband makes a very pretty arrow.

By the way, nice eland in your icon. Now there's an animal that I can even hit. Congrads.

I'm going to email Marilyn right now.....

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
when I went business class was $9000.00 I bought 2 coach seats together for $4000.00 and made it ok

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 01:58:00 AM »
9k! I didn't want to buy the plane--just a seat.

Funny you should mention this point: I talked to Marilyn today and she told me the seating on Delta would be better, roomier, than a flight on South West. So she said I would be OK flying coach.

That was a great solution. Did you get meals and drinks for 2? Nice!

Stay well and thanks.
Jarrod

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Jarrod,
We're leaving in 13 days for South Africa on Delta from SFO to Atlanta, change planes, then Delta from Atlanta to Dakkar for a fuel stop then on to JNB. I'll let you know how it goes!
Where are you in CA?
Toby
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Jarrod,

Good luck you'll have the time of your life, Buff gave me one of his slepping bills i only took half it worked great (Buff's a good sized man) and a blast to be around, he's not real good in the passenger seat at night when Bennie's driving. LOL
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
BTH, I think Marilyn (your travel agent?) told me about you. She was telling me your itinary as an example of what I'll be doing.

I'm on the ocean just south of SF in Pacifica. I lived in Santa Rosa for a number of years and have spent much time in Petaluma. Minus the traffic, like I can talk in that department, it's a great town.

Have a great time and safe journey. And yes, Please let me know how it goes. For one year I'm living vicariously through you guys.

mlmealey, Yea, I can't wait. Buff sounds like quite the character. Guys like that always make camp a fun place to come back to after a day of hunting.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Yeah, Marilyn took care of me. Gene Wensel is who I booked through and he highly recommend her.
I can't believe that my planning has turned to reality so quickly. Your year will pass very quickly. 13 days and a wake up.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
BTH, I have a feeling that next summer will come by soon--too soon. Congrads on the upcoming hunt. Let me know how it goes, I'd like to get a report fro mthe hunter in the field.

BTW-I booked my hunt through Gene as well. He's making it easy.

J

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Jarrod i sent you an email regarding a bunch of stuff, but i flew SAA last year and had a great trip. they were very nice and everything went smooth. i will be flying with them again this week. they had the best price from Dulles to Joberg. last year South African Air stopped flying out of Atlanta and all of my flights were changed to Dulles which worked out better for me.

i don't know if Virgin Air flies to Joberg, but i just got back from a trip to Europe and i flew Virgin back from London and they were super.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
Rob, Many thanks!

I'm sending you an email.
JArrod

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
Jarrod the last time I flew over I used SAA out of Atlanta I would highly recomend them.I'll be using them again when I return in 08. Paleface  is correct SAA leaves out of Dulles Int. currently. No complaints there it takes 2 hours of my flight time.
Jeff Couture

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©